Excessively Tall Images Designed to Disrupt Normal Page Flow

Guest Zephyr

To save posting a bunch of different threads addressing the same type of offence, I'm posting a list of offending nations with screenshot evidence.

Offending Nations:
DtC Justice of Oath - Screenshot
Kurdanak of Sinkleraken - Screenshot
Bopolo of Dunkingham - Screenshot
Limbu of Limbuwan - Screenshot
Dynamic of Provincia - Screenshot
Valkorion Baratheon of Zakuul - Screenshot
Fdas of Pobia - Screenshot
Aquileius XIV Caesar of Aquileon - Screenshot
Ralph Alexander I of Anzuria - Screenshot
Russ James of Champia - Screenshot

From the game rules section on Custom Content on Nation and Alliance Pages...

Custom content shall not be excessively long so as to disrupt the normal flow of pages. Excessively tall images and "filler" text are not allowed. This is punishable by a nation strike in-game and is subject to moderator discretion in determining the boundary for what is and is not allowed.

Each of the listed nations violates this rule by featuring excessively tall images designed to disrupt normal page flow, making it annoying, tedious and confusing for other players attempting to find information on their nation pages.

Edited by Guest

• Administrators

A reminder that this is a no-discussion forum. I'll review the nations, thank you for the report.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

I wish to add as evidence that i actually DM'd alex about splitting the page in two and he said it was okay. (would explain nations like champia)
And i feel nations like limbo tried to do this but their layout got screwed because of the layout update a few months ago (limbu).

For the record, @Zephyr, I think it's a great idea to be able to have the option to disable viewing nation bios. I would likely take advantage of that myself, especially during wartime. But to imply, as you have here and in that suggestion thread, that this is an intentional effort by Rose to disrupt attempts to quickly find information frankly comes off as a frivolous attempt to bend rules to fit a petty application. Really, quite disappointing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
xzhPlEh.png?1

7 hours ago, The Boofinator said:

I notice a trend here... someone from one side of the current global is complaining about someone from the other side of the current global.

It's fallaciously presumptuous to conclude my motives simply because you observe that I'm on the opposing side to the current global war. I reported these nations because their abuse of the custom nation description to manipulate page flow was frustrating, and as best I can tell this content violates the game rules. I have reported nations for rule violations before the global war, and will continue to report rule violations without concern for your petty attempt to politicise a game report.

7 hours ago, The Boofinator said:

For that matter, the alliance page and many member pages from Order of the white rose fall under this category as well. Do I complain? naaaa, I just deal with it

If you believe that's the case, you too can make game reports. I never suggested that you couldn't, so I'm not sure I understand the point here. This thread is a game report pertaining to 10 specific rule violations, your personal musings should more appropriately be put up on your blog as they are completely irrelevant here.

4 hours ago, BelgiumFury said:

I wish to add as evidence that i actually DM'd alex about splitting the page in two and he said it was okay. (would explain nations like champia)
And i feel nations like limbo tried to do this but their layout got screwed because of the layout update a few months ago (limbu).

If you got Alex's approval for this type of image use then punitive action should not be taken. I would however make the argument to Alex that he reconsider the appropriateness of this type of image use, and thus ask that they be removed or modified to something more appropriate that does not disrupt the page flow and is not excessively tall.

3 hours ago, Kurdanak said:

Oooh! I've never been reported before, how exciting. Half-column makes it perfectly navigable. Why would the function exist if not to be used in this manner? If I would have had those images at the top, that would certainly be an issue to be corrected.

I don't know, nor am I burdened with knowing the technical functions of the website in order to report what appears to violate the game rules.

That aside, I've scrolled through dozens and dozens of nation pages throughout this war with large images at the top that hinder nation page navigation significantly more, yet I don't report it because thankfully my thumb or scrollwheel can handle the momentary abuse. Apologies if we've caused you any distress!

"Everybody's doing it" isn't an excuse though, and it's irrelevant in determining if a violation has occurred in this instance.

But seriously, this is hilariously nitpicky. I think it's clear that the intent of the rule is preventing massive, obstructive images or other content at the top of the nation page. Using the formatting available, nation information is presented in a streamlined, consistent manner. What's the problem here?

3 hours ago, dtc justice said:

Lolol what? These are by no means excessively long. The rule implemented i presume is for the nation's that have like 1000 lines of 1 letter per line

As you can see from the paragraph I quoted from the game rules, it would in fact indicate that your image use violates the rules (and frustrates me). Hence the report.

The problem is your image use disrupts the normal page flow and makes it more difficult and confusing when attempting to find nation information.

2 hours ago, Kurdanak said:

But to imply, as you have here and in that suggestion thread, that this is an intentional effort by Rose to disrupt attempts to quickly find information frankly comes off as a frivolous attempt to bend rules to fit a petty application. Really, quite disappointing.

That's a disingenuous argument; I'm not bending any game rules, if you read them yourself you can see that your image use quite clearly violates them.

For it to not be intentional, you would have to make a compelling argument that you never observed your nation page after updating your custom nation description. I find that hard to believe, and imagine most would concede it's safe to presume you checked its status and observed the effect of your image breaking the normal page flow and chose not to remove the offending content. You've also already indicated awareness of the fact that your image disrupts the page flow, so your intentions to disrupt normal page flow are confirmed.

Edited by Zephyr

• Administrators

I pushed a setting that lets you hide nation descriptions by default just a short while ago, so that ought to solve the issue.

I also set a scrollbox and capped the height of descriptions to 500px. I know that breaks some of the long Rose half column description setups, and I'm not married to the idea, but it does permanently fix the issue of descriptions being too long.

This isn't the place to discuss the merits of that change, though. If someone wants to have that discussion, please make a Game Suggestions or Game Discussion thread.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

• Alex locked this topic