Should Great Britain leave the EU?

Rozalia

Should Great Britain leave the EU?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Should Great Britain leave the EU?

Idk how you think this is a good thing.

Let me ask you this then. If the situation was reversed and Scotland, Northern Ireland, and London prevailed over England and Wales would it then be a good thing?

Let me ask you this then. If the situation was reversed and Scotland, Northern Ireland, and London prevailed over England and Wales would it then be a good thing?

Well no, but England/Wales making NI/Scotland/Gibraltar do something against their will is bad. After Brexit I'd support Scottish independence, Irish unity (as long as R. Ireland doesn't do stupid shit), and Gibraltar's secession from the UK (not sure if annexation or independence)

<&Partisan> EAT THE SHIT

<blacklabel> lol @ ever caring about how much you matter in some dumbass nation simulation browser game. what a !@#$in pathetic waste of life

iZHAsgV.png

Well no, but England/Wales making NI/Scotland/Gibraltar do something against their will is bad. After Brexit I'd support Scottish independence, Irish unity (as long as R. Ireland doesn't do stupid shit), and Gibraltar's secession from the UK (not sure if annexation or independence)

But the other way round is somehow less bad? That London could nearly have done it and kept Britain in, that not worse? 

Just give the entire nation away while at it. For all the talk of unity it seems thats all that crowd wants. Sure, lets go back to the times of East Anglia, Cornwall, and so on being separate states. How do such people go from one extreme to the next? They want to be absorbed into some superstate but if that fails then screw it, break a country into as many pieces as possible... it some sort of perverse desire at revenge or something? 

Whatever the case, such things will not be happening. The EU is heading to the grave and so won't be there to be used as a promoter for "independence".

It isn't the desire to be part of a superstate that drives this. It is the desire to keep having the funding that aids growth in our nations. It is the desire to say we are patriots of a part of Europe. Historically the Celtic parts of the nation have had much closer ties to France and Spain than to England. Leaving Europe is not something the Celtic nationalists want, we are rather proud of our European culture and history.

• Upvote 1

Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest

I hate that Farage is calling it "independence day".

Independence from what? the UK freely chose to join the EU and now they are freely choosing to leave it. They were never conquered by anybody.

The EU is not some colonial overlord. It is just the people of Europe trying to put aside their differences, come together and form a common union.

In a way it's insulting that so many British people think so little of the project.

It isn't the desire to be part of a superstate that drives this. It is the desire to keep having the funding that aids growth in our nations. It is the desire to say we are patriots of a part of Europe. Historically the Celtic parts of the nation have had much closer ties to France and Spain than to England. Leaving Europe is not something the Celtic nationalists want, we are rather proud of our European culture and history.

So it's pure selfishness is what you're saying. Some aid done to promote belief in the EU is worth remaining to be absorbed, because ultimately that is the goal. Would Scots revolt at such a thing, of course not, as long as it ain't those nasty English they'll accept it quite clearly.

No. I am aware that they have been allied in medieval times to France and Spain either through religious reasons or because both parties involved wanted a force at England's back that would cause England trouble if they made a move on either. However that was a long time ago and not cultural, simply an alliance. Don't get me wrong, long friendships should certainly be noted and respected, if I had to say a similar one then England (later Britain) have had a very long one with Portugal as again, it weakened Spain... however does England have shared cultural ties with Portugal because they have the longest alliance in the world? No. Shared interests do not equal cultural ties. 

Well the funny thing is there are cultural ties between the Celtic nations. We remember Brittany and Galicia and the heritage we share in terms of language and culture.

The Welsh language is Romanesque as well as Celtic, we being the remnants of the Romano-British. To call England Britain is offensive to those who have studied the injustices meted out by the English over the centuries. I am a Brython by birth and no Saes.

Edited by Robert Ap Ioan

And disregards the rest

Well the funny thing is there are cultural ties between the Celtic nations. We remember Brittany and Galicia and the heritage we share in terms of language and culture.

I mean sure. If you want to cling to anything ancient but not ties with Britain then thats fine, I can understand why. Brittany is little Britain, yes. Galicia being Celtic is wow because while I am actually aware of that, it's so far back... their links are with Portugal today.

Except it's a current link. There are good friendships within the Celtic nations to this day, mainly aided by being part of Europe. The interceltique festival in L'orient almost certainly benefited from the EU.

And disregards the rest

Except it's a current link. There are good friendships within the Celtic nations to this day, mainly aided by being part of Europe. The interceltique festival in L'orient almost certainly benefited from the EU.

This is straws you are grasping at. I could say there are strong links between Wales and Argentina. There is something there yes, it's completely against reality to pretend they even matter when compared to links with Britain. 

You really would be surprised at the links between Wales and Patagonia, they are stronger than ever.

Look, we know all this from you and other fellows who speak such things like they matter more than British links is actually a code word for Anti-English, lets just be honest. The Scottish/Irish Nationalists bleat about it all because divisions have been allowed to form and they despise the English. The case for an "independent" Scotland is weaker than ever as they will not be allowed the pound (lol at the Euro), will not have an open border, oil is drying up, and they'd not be financed by the rest of Britain, and they'd have to make austerity cuts to even join the EU, a process that could take a long time indeed.  

Now is a time for unity, it is not a time for cretins like the SNP and those dogs Sinn Fein to take political advantage. The people who voted for Remain overwhelmingly were Scotland... and London, people who see a lot of benefit in the country. The rest of the country has been hurt and shunned, their cares ignored and lambasted as idiots and racists. More then Scotland and London exists in the nation and it's time people who went for Remain start learning that. 

Edited by Rozalia

Well maybe if the English had not treated the inhabitants of the Celtic nations with such contempt and disdain over the last 800 years, even to within my generation, maybe there wouldn't be such a hatred of Englishness. The words Yma o hyd resonate to this day.

I realise that we aren't the only victims, but for the most part the English working class have only had 250 years worth of suffering. What your miners suffered, along with ours, during the strike was just part of 800 years worth for us. When Westminster over rules local democracy in fracking, yup had that a century ago at Elan, Penyberth and Tryweryn. Money was stolen at Aberfan and our language banned. Do you now see why I might not have much time for patriotic Englishness?

Edited by Robert Ap Ioan

And disregards the rest

Well maybe if the English had not treated the inhabitants of the Celtic nations with such contempt and disdain over the last 800 years, even to within my generation, maybe there wouldn't be such a hatred of Englishness. The words Yma o hyd resonate to this day.

I realise that we aren't the only victims, but for the most part the English working class have only had 250 years worth of suffering. What your miners suffered, along with ours, during the strike was just part of 800 years worth for us. When Westminster over rules local democracy in fracking, yup had that a century ago at Elan, Penyberth and Tryweryn. Money was stolen at Aberfan and our language banned. Do you now see why I might not have much time for patriotic Englishness?

Then why keep at it? Lets put such petty things behind us, it's Great Britain now. 

Being divided somehow is the path is what you're saying. Because of anti-English sentiment, the other home nations should not show solitary with the poor working class in England and let them suffer under London. We can see a good example of this in this vote where Scotland joined together with London to try such a thing. Now they say they should be allowed to leave because they stayed in "Because of the EU", no. Doesn't work like that luv. Scotland stayed in and then had a hand in the EU vote, one that they nearly by overwhelmingly voting for the EU nearly screwed the working class of England (who voted leave) with. Scotland cannot have it both ways and their selfishness is disgusting. 

I'm happy in Scotland they annihilated the Red Tories, but this SNP lot are even more poisonous for unity quite clearly.  

https://www.change.org/p/sadiq-khan-declare-london-independent-from-the-uk-and-apply-to-join-the-eu

Look at this, as expected. Disgusting. This is some of the lot who voted for Remain, so traitorous, so fanatical be it for the EU or that open borders garbage that they seriously want an independent London now. If we won't be absorbed into the EU then as revenge they want the nation shattered into tiny pieces. 

Screw 'em, move the capital away from that damn rotten city.