The National Affairs Subfourm

K W Jackson

Seems like the expert has come to save us....

I was the OP and cartographer for an open RP that ran three years straight on Nationstates.

Our map: http://www.gothamloki.com/nconmap.htm

Sadly ended when a bunch of newbies demanded RP rule-changes to off-set the fact they needed to start off small while there were many big established nations already in the RP. The OOC debate got so heated it destroyed the RP.

But this is totally off topic. My bad.

Edited by Tyro Leif
  • Upvote 1

ScientificHumanism.png

Well, no one's keeping you from trying it out here. I think some of us would gladly have you as our cartographer, after the dozens that failed....

I am up for him being it. I was on nationstates at the time and really admired his maps. It kinda caused me to want to start creating my own maps.

I was the OP and cartographer for an open RP that ran three years straight on Nationstates.

Sadly ended when a bunch of newbies demanded RP rule-changes to off-set the fact they needed to start off small while there were many big established nations already in the RP. The OOC debate got so heated it destroyed the RP.

That's a shame. I am an old Nationstates player, but I never did participate in RP.

We have seized the means of production. Though union, and self-governance, we have organized between all peoples of the land.

I have to warn you though, there's a certain player who is definately going to be against your rules since it'll do the complete opposite of benefiting him....

If you can handle that, you're good to go...

Edited by Zafrizackery
  • Upvote 1
pwzK3cd8SS65e9vYtF-QIQ.png

I believe that, we should have laid out rules for our RP, and start the way that the cartographer wishes. As they're kindof like the DM of the RP. Hahahah

We have seized the means of production. Though union, and self-governance, we have organized between all peoples of the land.

I have to warn you though, there's a certain player who is definately going to be against your rules since it'll do the complete opposite of benefiting him....

If yo can handle that, you're good to go...

*Two

Said no one ever

Except I just did.

This Here is my Show, and you can forget if you think I'm going to let some two-bit nation-states playing noob come in here and take that away from me. >:(

Signed by Sultan Moreau

UqIjjeQ.jpg

Except I just did.

This Here is my Show, and you can forget if you think I'm going to let some two-bit nation-states playing noob come in here and take that away from me. > :(

Almost no body is going to agree to that...

pwzK3cd8SS65e9vYtF-QIQ.png

The problem with this is two-fold;

The game allows people's nations to be placed practically on top of one another, as well as nations to be thrown into the sea.

Also, to point out another flaw with this otherwise alright concept;

The game employs continent-specific resources. This means that if you want to occupy another nation in the roleplay, you're hurting your actual in-game nation's economics or resource exploitation if it's on another continent which houses resources that you don't want to mine/etc.

Either way, though..

I don't know a proper answer to this issue, other than to in my iteration of the map 'be reasonable'.

I'unno. I think part of the problem comes from the fact that it's a world map of Earth, as opposed to a map of something fictive.

You can deal with the "continent specific resource" issue by just assigning a player's actual in-game resources to whichever territory he/she occupy on the RP map. OR create a new planet with continents with their own mix of resources. (That's if resources will actually mean anything practical in the RP, for example if the OP rules state you must account for resources, then they are important. Otherwise, they are just RP fluff and it can be assumed that players get their resources "some how".)

The best bet would be a non-Earth map that basically "resets" what territory is truly valuable in the grand sceme of the RP and what's not. The premise of the RP could be a near future colonization, forcing each player to "start from scratch" and keeping the tech level within understanding.

ScientificHumanism.png

Except I just did.

This Here is my Show, and you can forget if you think I'm going to let some two-bit nation-states playing noob come in here and take that away from me. > :(

He is far better at cartography than anyone here.

Except I just did.

The thing is, RP is supposed to be fun for everyone, not just for 2 people.

If it's not working, then it needs to be changed.

Edited by Chappie

You can deal with the "continent specific resource" issue by just assigning a player's actual in-game resources to whichever territory he/she occupy on the RP map. OR create a new planet with continents with their own mix of resources. (That's if resources will actually mean anything practical in the RP, for example if the OP rules state you must account for resources, then they are important. Otherwise, they are just RP fluff and it can be assumed that players get their resources "some how".)

The best bet would be a non-Earth map that basically "resets" what territory is truly valuable in the grand sceme of the RP and what's not. The premise of the RP could be a near future colonization, forcing each player to "start from scratch" and keeping the tech level within understanding.

I agree, we should have it where we have colonies on another planet or something like it.

Except I just did.

This Here is my Show, and you can forget if you think I'm going to let some two-bit nation-states playing noob come in here and take that away from me. >:(

You can keep your "RP", if you desire to call it that. LOL... I'm not at all interested in participating with god-modders. This one is all yours, bud. But maybe I will start my own, and we can compare which is still running and better in the long run. Up for the challenge?

ScientificHumanism.png

You can keep your "RP", if you desire to call it that. LOL... I'm not at all interested in participating with god-modders. This one is all yours, bud. But maybe I will start my own, and we can compare which is still running and better in the long run. Up for the challenge?

I will be joining your roleplay then. Not that I have a choice...

Edited by Alexei Lysenko

Challenge: Accepted.

Good luck finding players lel. :v

• Upvote 1

Signed by Sultan Moreau

UqIjjeQ.jpg

I will be joining your roleplay then. Not that I have a choice...

O look, it's the tiny nation that was fond of up-declaring on bigger nations only to lose everything.

Yes. I'm sure he will be a valuable contribution to your RP.

Signed by Sultan Moreau

UqIjjeQ.jpg

Woo! NationStates!

I actually recall seeing several tags of that group during my far-too-many years at NationStates (I personally stayed at A Modern World (AMW) & Atlas.)

+1, will side with.

• Upvote 1

Good Riddance To Bad Rubbish.

Your territory will be divided up equally among the remaining loyal players (except for me & abu haddad).

Edited by Moreau III

Signed by Sultan Moreau

UqIjjeQ.jpg