Common Misconceptions about Christianity.

Ikhan

I have been thinking, many people on this website tend to believe in several common misconceptions about Christianity, and thus treat it as if it were the worst thing on the planet. As such, I have decided to post this thread to correct those misconceptions about the religion. The arguments are below.

1. The New Testament was written long after the events took place and as such are filled with legends. - This is utterly false, first, the New Testament was written solely by Eyewitnesses to the events that took place, and the writers of the Bible were inspired by God himself. These verses explain better than what I could myself.

"If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture can not be broken..." - John 10:35

"...Lord, thou art God, which hast made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all that in them is: Who by the mouth of thy servant David hast said, Why did the heathen rage, and the people imagine vain things?" - Acts 4:24-25

"But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: ...Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. Which things we also speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual" - 1 Corinthians 2:9-13

"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness." - 2 Timothy 3:16

2. The Bible demeans Women. - While I get that people believe this due to Ephesians 5:22 saying "Wives, be subject to your husbands, as to the Lord." however, most forget that Ephesians 5:25 says "Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the Church and gave Himself up for her." I mean, if the Bible demeans women, would they be also made in God's own image? No, they would not. As a matter of fact, in Exodus 20:12, it says "Honor your Mother and your Father, so that your days may be prolonged in the land." If the Bible demeans women, it would only say honor your father. But it does not, as the Bible exalts women as it does men.

3. The God of the Bible is immoral. - This statement is usually made by more vocal atheists who really hate the God that made them. The statement usually comes from God's command to invade Canaan, in which the Jews were the instrument used to enact Specific Justice against an immoral indigenous society. In fact, some of the things that the Canaanites were doing that is abhorrent in the eyes of the Lord included Child Sacrifice. Another thing, God owes us nothing. Life is but a gift from Him to us, which he can take back at any time He wants. He can not be unjust. We just have a hard time understanding why he does it. But that is not His problem, it is ours. It is like the case of Job, who kept asking Why was he suffering, why weren't any others suffering? Why won't God come and talk with him? But God did come and talk with him, but does not explain. To put it briefly, He said to Job "were you there when I created the world? Who are you to question How I do anything?" Job was satisfied with the answer and immediately repented, having seen the great and terrible glory of God, up close and personal. I guess that is enough of an answer to that misconception.

Feel free to argue against it if need be, or if you want, argue for Christianity.

• Upvote 5

That's one of the better explanations I've seen. gj

x0H0NxD.jpg?1

01:05:55 <%fistofdoom> im out of wine

01:06:03 <%fistofdoom> i winsih i had port
01:06:39 <@JoshF{BoC}> fistofdoom: is the snowman drunk with you

01:07:32 <%fistofdoom> i knet i forgot somehnt

Actually, much of the authorship of the bible (new test.) is uncertain, debated and even anonymous. Some of it was indeed written long after Jesus. 

The bible does demean women from the very begging. Women were not made in Gods image, men were. Eve was created from Adams rib so she could not reject him. The choice to make women from men, rather than equal to men, is due to the archaic patriarchal concept of marriage being a contract of essentially ownership. 

The God of all Abrahamic religions defies it's own morals countless times in Abrahamic tradition. Everything from killing children for speaking cruel words to ordering acts of genocide by his followers. 

• Upvote 4

Fox_Fire_Txt2.png

<Jroc> I heard \ is an anagram of cocaine
<\> I can't be rearranged into a line, I already am a line.

--Foxburo Wiki--

the bible is based on the gospels which was revealed to Jesus by god but corrupted by man and evil rulers since.

false muslims like lelouch want to do the same with islam god forbid 

• Upvote 1

Caliph of The Caliphate of Arabia. Caliph of the Islamic State of Arabia. Principle of The Principality of Chechnya. Grand Emir of The Emirate of The Caucus. Emperor of the Empire of Persia. Sultan of The Sultanates of Turkey and The Crimea. Czar of the Tsardom of The Balkans. Archon of The Archonate of Greece. Supreme Consul of The Consulate of Italy. Shah of The Shahdom Of Khorason

2. The Bible demeans Women. - While I get that people believe this due to Ephesians 5:22 saying "Wives, be subject to your husbands, as to the Lord." however, most forget that Ephesians 5:25 says "Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the Church and gave Himself up for her." I mean, if the Bible demeans women, would they be also made in God's own image? No, they would not. As a matter of fact, in Exodus 20:12, it says "Honor your Mother and your Father, so that your days may be prolonged in the land." If the Bible demeans women, it would only say honor your father. But it does not, as the Bible exalts women as it does men.

1 Timothy 2:12New International Version (NIV)

12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man;[a] she must be quiet.

if voice in your head appear and say universe came from nothing? would you worship yourself?

where did god come from, no i don't need to

woman are made to follow men. i dont see why this is issue it is natural course of events 

really https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/freedom-learn/201105/how-hunter-gatherers-maintained-their-egalitarian-ways

For Meripez!

3. The God of the Bible is immoral. - This statement is usually made by more vocal atheists who really hate the God that made them. The statement usually comes from God's command to invade Canaan, in which the Jews were the instrument used to enact Specific Justice against an immoral indigenous society. In fact, some of the things that the Canaanites were doing that is abhorrent in the eyes of the Lord included Child Sacrifice. Another thing, God owes us nothing. Life is but a gift from Him to us, which he can take back at any time He wants. He can not be unjust. We just have a hard time understanding why he does it. But that is not His problem, it is ours. It is like the case of Job, who kept asking Why was he suffering, why weren't any others suffering? Why won't God come and talk with him? But God did come and talk with him, but does not explain. To put it briefly, He said to Job "were you there when I created the world? Who are you to question How I do anything?" Job was satisfied with the answer and immediately repented, having seen the great and terrible glory of God, up close and personal. I guess that is enough of an answer to that misconception.

uh hmmm great flood..

Do not think that I have come to bring peace on earth; I have not come to bring peace, but with a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man's foes will be those of his own household. He who loves father or mother more than me is not worthy. (Matthew 10:34-37)

• Upvote 1

For Meripez!

uh hmmm great flood..

Do not think that I have come to bring peace on earth; I have not come to bring peace, but with a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man's foes will be those of his own household. He who loves father or mother more than me is not worthy. (Matthew 10:34-37)

First, the Great Flood was right, sure, it may have killed many people, but that does not make it right. These verses answer that. "The Lord saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time. The Lord regretted that He had made human beings on the earth, and His heart was deeply troubled. So the Lord said, "I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created-and with them the animals, the birds, and the creatures that move along the ground-for I regret making them." Genesis 6:5-7.

And for the record, Matthew 10:34-37 was actually talking about how He knew that the consequences of His actions included strife and division, and such a consequence, freely accepted for the sake of the greater good that lies beyond it, involves, in fact, a purpose.

where did god come from, no i don't need to

Allah always existed, but we know that's not the case with the universe. The universe had a beginning (the big bang), and therefore it logically follows that it must have had a creator, because something does not come into being from nothing nor can something that does not exist bring itself into existence.

Signed by Sultan Moreau

UqIjjeQ.jpg

Allah always existed, but we know that's not the case with the universe. The universe had a beginning (the big bang), and therefore it logically follows that it must have had a creator, because something does not come into being from nothing nor can something that does not exist bring itself into existence.

Your argument I'm right because I'm right

First, the Great Flood was right, sure, it may have killed many people, but that does not make it right. These verses answer that. "The Lord saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time. The Lord regretted that He had made human beings on the earth, and His heart was deeply troubled. So the Lord said, "I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created-and with them the animals, the birds, and the creatures that move along the ground-for I regret making them." Genesis 6:5-7.

And for the record, Matthew 10:34-37 was actually talking about how He knew that the consequences of His actions included strife and division, and such a consequence, freely accepted for the sake of the greater good that lies beyond it, involves, in fact, a purpose.

so he can do it because they did even though he said not to, i think there is a word for that...

Edited by G Wilson

For Meripez!

If nothing is spontaneously created, then how is Allah in the equation? Surely, by your logic, he must have been created, too.

• Upvote 1

putin-trump-sig_zps657urhx9.jpg

So you acknowledge that God is immoral then?.... You seem confused...

You don't understand the Big Bang. The Big Bang theory never states, at any point anywhere, that the universe at any point, did not exist. In fact, it implies that it's simply always been there if anything beyond the singularity is implied at all. The universe and everything in it is what has always been there. Also, you should try applying your own logic to God instead of blatantly ignoring it like it somehow makes sense. If something can not come into being from nothing, if something that doesn't exist can't bring itself into existence (science actually says you're wrong, btw) then neither can God. If you're going to hold that viewpoint then you must remain consistent in your conclusion, otherwise you're making an invalid argument. Everything you just said is contradictory. 

Edited by Fox Fire

Fox_Fire_Txt2.png

--Foxburo Wiki--

If nothing is spontaneously created, then how is Allah in the equation? Surely, by your logic, he must have been created, too.

I think you've gotten lost. We are not talking about "nothing being created"??? That doesn't even make sense.

We are talking about the creation of the Universe... which believe me is SOMETHING!

I will go over it again, try to keep up:

1) The Universe came into existence. It's called the big bang. (Right, we are all in agreement here? Okay moving on.)

2) Something (like the Universe) can not come into being from nothing (because it's "nothing".... the word literally means the absence of something).

3) Something (like the Universe) that does not exist (cause our universe didn't always exist remember) can NOT bring itself into existence. (If this were not the case then things would be randomly popping into existence now.... and a pink elephant would probably materialise on your lap :P)

Okay so now that we have got those points out of the way ^, we are left with only one logical option: The Universe must have had a creator who brought it into existence.

Edited by Moreau III

Signed by Sultan Moreau

UqIjjeQ.jpg

I think you've gotten lost. We are not talking about "nothing being created"??? That doesn't even make sense.

We are talking about the creation of the Universes... which believe me is SOMETHING!

1) The Universe came into existence via the big bang. (Right, we are all in agreement here? Okay moving on.)

2) Something (like the Universe) can not come into being from nothing (because it's "nothing".... the word literally means the absence of something).

3) Something (like the Universe) that does not exist (cause our universe didn't always exist remember) can NOT bring itself into existence. (If this were not the case then things would be randomly popping into existence now.... and a pink elephant would probably materialise on your lap :P)

Okay so now that we have got those points out of the way ^, we are left with only one logical option: The Universe must have had a creator who brought it into existence.

The universe didn't come from "nothing". Everything in the universe was always in the universe. 

Your argument also remains invalid:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Validity

In logic, an argument is valid if and only if it takes a form that makes it impossible for the premises to be true and the conclusion nevertheless to be false.[1] It is not required that a valid argument have premises that are actually true,[2] but to have premises that, if they were true, would guarantee the truth of the argument's conclusion. A formula is valid if and only if it is true under every interpretation, and an argument form (or schema) is valid if and only if every argument of that logical form is valid.
Edited by Fox Fire

Fox_Fire_Txt2.png

--Foxburo Wiki--

We are talking about the creation of the Universe... which believe me is SOMETHING!

1) The Universe came into existence. It's called the big bang. (Right, we are all in agreement here? Okay moving on.)

how was that creator created 

For Meripez!

First off, you misread my post.

Second off, your reasoning is not validated.

putin-trump-sig_zps657urhx9.jpg

You don't understand the Big Bang. The Big Bang theory never states, at any point anywhere, that the universe at any point, did not exist. In fact, it implies that it's simply always been there if anything beyond the singularity is implied at all. The universe and everything in it is what has always been there. Also, you should try applying your own logic to God instead of blatantly ignoring it like it somehow makes sense. If something can not come into being from nothing, if something that doesn't exist can't bring itself into existence (science actually says you're wrong, btw) then neither can God. If you're going to hold that viewpoint then you must remain consistent in your conclusion, otherwise you're making an invalid argument. Everything you just said is contradictory.

If anyone doesn't understand the big bang theory, it's you.

Time, space, matter and energy all came into existence in what is known as the big bang.

For you to say that our universe "always existed" means you believe there is such a thing as an ACTUAL INFINITY in the real world, as you would have an infinite number of past events?? Which is quite frankly absurd and i can demonstrate why that is in a very simple way:

Say i had a basket with an INFINITE amount of tennis balls..... and then say i remove 3 balls. How many balls are left in the basket? That's right, Infinity. Say i add 103 balls, how many balls are in the basket now? Same as before, Infinity.... even though it should be infinity + 103, but there is no such thing, you can't add or take away from infinity. That's why it's an abstract term that doesn't/can't exist in the real world.

Edited by Moreau III

Signed by Sultan Moreau

UqIjjeQ.jpg

If anyone doesn't understand the big bang theory, it's you.

Time, space, matter and energy all came into existence in what is known as the big bang.

For you to say that our universe "always existed" means you believe their is something as an ACTUAL INFINITY in the real world?? Which is quite frankly absurd and i can demonstrate why that is very simply:

Say i had a basket with an INFINITE amount of tennis balls..... and then say i remove 3 balls. How many balls are left in the basket? That's right, Infinity. Say i add 103 balls, how many balls are in the basket now? Same as before, Infinity.... even though it should be infinity + 103 but there is no such thing, you can't add or take away from infinity. That's why it's an abstract term that doesn't/can't exist in the real world.

No, I have an avid interest in cosmology and probably understand the Big Bang better than anyone here. Everything that currently exists in our universe didn't just appear out of nowhere. It evolved over billions of years as a singularity fragments. You can think of it like taking a prism and separating the colors of sunlight into a rainbow. Everything that exists is just a piece or strain of the singularity. It has always been there because it existed before time itself. Time, is fundamentally a part of it, not outside of it. 

The Big Bang theory can only be calculated back to the Plank Epoch, but at no point, anywhere in the theory at all, does it ever suggest that the universe in all of it's totality, did not exist. 

And yes, I believe that existence has always existed. There is no beginning or end. The Big Bang is just a small part of an endless cycle of continuous "being". The concept of infinite is not absurd at all. Infinite is a well known number in physics because it's concept is very real.

Your idea that God is instead infinite is far more crazy.

Edited by Fox Fire

Fox_Fire_Txt2.png

--Foxburo Wiki--

And yes, I believe that existence has always existed. There is no beginning or end. The Big Bang is just a small part of an endless cycle of continuous "being". The concept of infinite is not absurd at all. Infinite is a well known number in physics because it's concept is very real.

You are confusing POTENTIAL Infinity (an abstract term used in mathematics/calculus as a limit) and ACTUAL infinity (an absurd concept).

Your idea that God is instead infinite is far more crazy.

Qualitatively infinite not Quantitatively. (You hogged all the craziness unfortunately :()

Signed by Sultan Moreau

UqIjjeQ.jpg

You are confusing POTENTIAL Infinity (an abstract term used in mathematics/calculus as a limit) and ACTUAL infinity (an absurd concept).

Qualitatively infinite not Quantitatively. (You hogged all the craziness unfortunately :()

The universe is zero energy and due to energy conservation, that energy was always there with the exception of quantum fluctuation which equally suggests an infinite limit to existence. My argument can be further elaborated by black hole cosmology and fractal cosmology or a multifractal system, the idea that existence is a fractal. Something like a Mandelbrot with no beginning or end:

Mandelbrot_sequence_new.gif

^This is how i would visualize existence if such a perception were possible in the human mind. This is about as close as one gets to seeing what existence is in it's entirety looks like.

Edited by Fox Fire
  • Upvote 1

Fox_Fire_Txt2.png

--Foxburo Wiki--