Some resources capped at 99,999.99

Josh Freer

After doing some stuff on the test server I noticed that my Gas, Munition,Steel and aluminium went to 99,999.99 after I took resource out the bank.

I thought this was weird so I bought 52,000 coal on the market and I had around 56,692.13 coal on hand, it then went to 99,999.99 like the others.

When I should have 108,692.13. 

Then when I deposited 1000 into the bank it went to 98,999.99 when it should be at 107,692.13.

Not that I need the resource I just thought I would report it in case it happens on the real server if people go above 99,999.99 in these resources.

xlEIvKe.png

Honour, Fury, Fire

• Administrators

7 digits is the limit on resources, not sure it's ever been an issue on the real server, or that it ever will be. Things run faster when we're not adding unnecessary 0s, so unless for some reason you're moving around 50K resources in the real server, it's a non-issue.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

7 digits is the limit on resources, not sure it's ever been an issue on the real server, or that it ever will be. Things run faster when we're not adding unnecessary 0s, so unless for some reason you're moving around 50K resources in the real server, it's a non-issue.

So if 99,999.99 is the limit on personal resources, what is the limit on the alliance bank?

• Administrators

So if 99,999.99 is the limit on personal resources, what is the limit on the alliance bank?

I'm not sure off the top of my head, but there are a /lot/ less alliances than nations, and their digit limit is significantly larger.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

For food the limit in a nation store is 999,999.99 as for the others it is 99,999,99. For money the limit is much higher.

In the alliance bank you can much store indeed more of steel and so than in a nation.

I do not know the limit for the alliance bank, but it is that high that on a normal server it will not be reached I think.

tvPWtuA.gif

I should be hitting those caps in 5-6 months if no-one bothers me, probably a little sooner since ill have 3-4 more cities by then as well.  I know I dont have the largest warchest out there either, so I wouldnt be surprised to see people start hitting the 99k cap in as soon as 2-3 months.  If they have been real diligent in thier nation building, collecting resources and avoiding war, like possibly some of the guys in GPA, Sigma or DEIC.

I'm no DBA.. but I think if 99,999.99 is a limit based on storage/performance, you're using the wrong data type

MySQL's documentation is a black hole when you get into this stuff, but as I understand it, a decimal type (my guess of what you're using, if you're using VARCHAR or similar, there's no help for you) stores 99,999.99 in 4 bytes (3 bytes for the 99,999 and 1 for the .99).

If you really like type decimal, you have the same storage requirements by going to a limit of 999,999.99.

Since we're only using positive values for resource storage, you would get better storage efficiancy and performance by using an unsigned mediumint which would up the maximum to 167,772.15 in only 3 bytes (formatting of the decimal would be done for display only).  If you moved to an unsigned int, your maximum would be 42,949,672.95 in 4 bytes.

This would increase performance, storage efficiency and better prepare the game for the long-haul.  You may think 99,999 steel in a single nation is unfathomable, but wait until you have nations that are 7+ years old... 

I'm sure there are people playing who are far more knowledgeable of sql optimization who could chime in and affirm/correct my understanding.

• Upvote 1

I'm no DBA.. but I think if 99,999.99 is a limit based on storage/performance, you're using the wrong data type

MySQL's documentation is a black hole when you get into this stuff, but as I understand it, a decimal type (my guess of what you're using, if you're using VARCHAR or similar, there's no help for you) stores 99,999.99 in 4 bytes (3 bytes for the 99,999 and 1 for the .99).

If you really like type decimal, you have the same storage requirements by going to a limit of 999,999.99.

Since we're only using positive values for resource storage, you would get better storage efficiancy and performance by using an unsigned mediumint which would up the maximum to 167,772.15 in only 3 bytes (formatting of the decimal would be done for display only).  If you moved to an unsigned int, your maximum would be 42,949,672.95 in 4 bytes.

This would increase performance, storage efficiency and better prepare the game for the long-haul.  You may think 99,999 steel in a single nation is unfathomable, but wait until you have nations that are 7+ years old... 

I'm sure there are people playing who are far more knowledgeable of sql optimization who could chime in and affirm/correct my understanding.

This...with just 8 cities I run a significant negative run on a few resources.  It will be a while, but at some point 99,999 won't be a large enough stock to withstand a war effort which may/may not involve blockades.  This should be fixed before it becomes a significant problem.

Also, for those nations (not me) that are playing the trade market for profit the artificial limit of 99,999 would be a problem for them as well.

Sheepy's already raised the limit by a digit in manufactured resources. Not sure what else.

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win