Facebook like communication system

Edward

Although I love this game so very much, I had never suggested anything. I thought I give it a try.

I was thinking the communication system should get an overhaul. Although we the ability to send messages, chat on IRC, and discuss on our alliance forum, I thought there could be a way to chat while playing the game and receive information pertaining to our nation.

Here's what I was thinking. On the right side on the page, it should show our game name, with a little picture; a friend request symbol; a message symbol; and a global symbol. With the request symbol, we could add and accept "friend" requests in P&W. With the message symbol, we could send and receive messages, and have a little sidebar on the bottom right side of the page with our "P & W friends" from which we could select and chat with a person. We should be able to categorize our friends, such as "alliance friends" and "normal friends" due to the potential of having a lot of friends. While chatting with someone, the message will pop up on the bottom right side of the page, and it will tell when someone is typing; and whenever we're offline, the message will be stored in our inbox. Finally, the global symbol could act as our notification, instead of the many left side bars. The global symbol will inform us whenever someone buys our trade and sends us a trade; inform us whenever someone declared war on us or offered peace; inform us whenever a specific military action has been taken by the opponent; inform us whenever our alliance sends us money or whenever we receive "foreign aid" if that should get added later, and more. From the same global notification, we should be able to response, whether that is sending a trade, foreign aid, fighting back, offering peace, and more. Perhaps the notification should have a drop down list of our nation, like trade, war, alliance, etc. Sort of see the notification as the “Command Center†or perhaps, the “Notification Center,†if that will be easier.

-        This will be fun and it will generate more players and keep people playing on the game.

-     We could coordinate our war efforts through chatting (we should be able to invite members to a group chat), instead of going on the IRC or the Forum. I don't want to have multiple tabs open, and forums to me are not efficient and effective in war efforts.

-       We could also coordinate our economic efforts, such as nations discussing economic actions, trades, grants, or loans.

-      Adding friends makes the game less boring, and people wouldn't leave alone, because we would have someone to chat with.

-        The “Command Center†or the “Notification Center†will be our one stop shop for everything related to notifications, and taking action.

-        The chatting could be a great way to facilitate discussions among people

-        Most times I come on and leave, because there’s nothing else to do, forums are dedicated to alliance programs and offices, and IRC draws different people, which establishes no real connection

A suggestion I thought I put forth. Hope you will review it. If you cannot implement the "Command Center" or the "Notification Center" suggestion, I hope you will implement the chatting suggestion.

• Upvote 4

Then PnW just becomes a chatting system with politics, i dont agree.

Edited by Lysandre Mackintosh
  • Upvote 4

Peace will never be accomplished without war, but war cannot happen without peace.... or something like that idk

Then PnW just becomes a chatting system with politics, i dont agree.

But nothing changes though. PnW will still PnW. Except with this, we'll build relationship and have a smoother flow of communication, instead of the forums and irc that over-lapse the messages. Also. sending each other message is a bit boring, especially having to wait for them. Plus, what's wrong with chatting with someone or adding someone? With the current communication, some people simply come online check on income, wars, and whatnot, then leaves. With chatting, we will be able to stay on the page and discuss.

I think a friends feed would be quite good and add a bit more content into the game. It would also improve the experience for non forum players.

Could also lead to more communication between ordinary members of different alliances.

I really don't think you could organise from it though as people will soon have friends in multiple alliances.

• Upvote 1

Would be nice to introduce sth like the chatboxes from Facebook. 

As i started here i didn't even know what IRC, most people probably find the log-in/install procedure too annyoing and just let it be (like I at the beginning).

It's just a much faster way then always using those ingame messages if it's just unofficial chat stuff.

It doesn't have to replace IRC, it has to complement it.

Edited by Wilhelm II
  • Upvote 1

sounds like a !@#$ to implement.

You can simply use the provided link to mibbit for IRC if it's too difficult to install a client..

I think the existing system of IRC + PnW and forum PMs is fine enough.

Ilysian_signature_1.jpg

~~ His Majesty the Gracious and Honourable Emperor Robert of the Royal House Cahill, ~~

~~King of the Dominion of Ilysia, Protector of its Colonies of Argentia and Klondecia, Head of the Imperial Government, ~~

~~Chairsperson of the Imperial Board, Orator of the Lords' Parliament, and Lead Voice of the Small Council~~

You can simply use the provided link to mibbit for IRC if it's too difficult to install a client..

Just count approx. the [total game users]-[avg. Irc online number] and you see your argument doesn't cut it. I am in irc but can just speak with those online in there.

• Upvote 1

I can easily access the IRC. It is not a problem of client. It's that in trying to enter the IRC, you pick a name. Some people could abuse that system by picking a name and acting as someone else. People can randomly pick a name and we wouldn't know who they are. Also, IRC are public, which allows for random people, despite being a foe or in a different alliance, to read the chats or incite violence or some sort.

As for Forums, anyone barely go there, only to apply, and request alliance programs. Moreover, the chatting area are comments, meaning everyone engaging in a discussion --though that barley happens. Should we have a Facebook like chatting, people will be able to chat with random people engaging in act on IRC or publicly discussing on forums.

Finally, the in-game inbox is boring. It is sort like a email. I want something where someone and I can be chatting, instead of waiting on each other message. A lot could be talked about and it will make people stay on the game and make the game enjoyable, by allowing members to collaborate on economic and military efforts without having to send messages, open a different tab to be on IRC where random people can join, or having to go on the forum.

Facebook like communication system prevents all those I mentioned.

• Upvote 1

I can easily access the IRC. It is not a problem of client. It's that in trying to enter the IRC, you pick a name. Some people could abuse that system by picking a name and acting as someone else. People can randomly pick a name and we wouldn't know who they are. Also, IRC are public, which allows for random people, despite being a foe or in a different alliance, to read the chats or incite violence or some sort.

As for Forums, anyone barely go there, only to apply, and request alliance programs. Moreover, the chatting area are comments, meaning everyone engaging in a discussion --though that barley happens. Should we have a Facebook like chatting, people will be able to chat with random people engaging in act on IRC or publicly discussing on forums.

Finally, the in-game inbox is boring. It is sort like a email. I want something where someone and I can be chatting, instead of waiting on each other message. A lot could be talked about and it will make people stay on the game and make the game enjoyable, by allowing members to collaborate on economic and military efforts without having to send messages, open a different tab to be on IRC where random people can join, or having to go on the forum.

You can register your nickname in IRC so it has a password. Also, the creator of the room can set a bunch of cool stuff like passwords. 

Make your forums more engaging. 

As I said before, registering nicks and setting room passwords (or a whitelist) can solve the stated problems.

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png

you can chat with someone on the message system anyway I don't see any purpose in this

You can send someone a message on the current message system and when they see it, they reply and when you see it, you reply. I'm talking about something where both players could be "chatting," not sending messages, to each other. What we have kinda act as a email and emailing and chatting are two different things. Email is when you send someone something and you wait for their response, and email usually happens rarely. Chatting is when you both just want to chat, whether economic, military, personal, or whatever. Or are you going to include all that in one message to someone? 

You can register your nickname in IRC so it has a password. Also, the creator of the room can set a bunch of cool stuff like passwords. 

Make your forums more engaging. 

As I said before, registering nicks and setting room passwords (or a whitelist) can solve the stated problems.

Even with that, you're chatting with a bunch of people and having to read other messages. I mean sure, on the IRC you can privately chat with someone, but still, you have to open a another tab for IRC so it won't interfere with what you're doing on PnW. You cannot try to trade or do something while on the IRC. When you click trade or something, it closes the IRC. Because of this, you have to open a separate tab. What I'm proposing makes it easier to chat with someone without having to go on IRC or open another tab or do all that extras.

Edited by Prince Edward

Fair arguments. But in the end, the added bit of convenience of not opening new tabs, etc, is simply not enough to warrant the addition of such a feature. Basically I don't think it's worth the trouble to go through the hassle of adding this when partial (if not full) replacements already exist.

This is my opinion of course; nothing more.

Ilysian_signature_1.jpg

~~ His Majesty the Gracious and Honourable Emperor Robert of the Royal House Cahill, ~~

~~King of the Dominion of Ilysia, Protector of its Colonies of Argentia and Klondecia, Head of the Imperial Government, ~~

~~Chairsperson of the Imperial Board, Orator of the Lords' Parliament, and Lead Voice of the Small Council~~

Fair arguments. But in the end, the added bit of convenience of not opening new tabs, etc, is simply not enough to warrant the addition of such a feature. Basically I don't think it's worth the trouble to go through the hassle of adding this when partial (if not full) replacements already exist.

This is my opinion of course; nothing more.

Very well, I respect your opinion and I find it to be the most honest one thus far. But I should say, I have not suggested replacing anything, whether that is IRC or forums. It seems like the assertion by previous responses and yours. I'm simply saying, if not implement the whole suggestion, perhaps, being able to add someone and a chat box would be nice.

• Upvote 1

Adding something like that will (at least in part) replace the systems currently in use. There will be a growing segment of the playerbase who will refuse to do anything out of game, either because they can only access the game page, or they prefer to play on mobile, or simply to be contrarian. There is a link to an embedded IRC in game now, and that should do well enough to funnel people to the right place.

☾☆ Chairman Emeritus of Mensa HQ ☾☆

"It's not about the actual fish, themselves. Fish are not important in this context. It's about fish-ing, the act of fishing itself." -Jack O'Neill

iMZejv3.gif

Adding something like that will (at least in part) replace the systems currently in use. There will be a growing segment of the playerbase who will refuse to do anything out of game, either because they can only access the game page, or they prefer to play on mobile, or simply to be contrarian. There is a link to an embedded IRC in game now, and that should do well enough to funnel people to the right place.

Again, it will in no way replace the current system in use. It is meant to improve or allow for a new way of communication. As you say, "funnel people to the right place," that's what I'm arguing against. I prefer a system where I could simply chat with someone without having to join an IRC with plenty of people. 

Even with that, you're chatting with a bunch of people and having to read other messages.

I mean sure, on the IRC you can privately chat with someone, but still, you have to open a another tab for IRC so it won't interfere with what you're doing on PnW. You cannot try to trade or do something while on the IRC. When you click trade or something, it closes the IRC. Because of this, you have to open a separate tab. 

What I'm proposing makes it easier to chat with someone without having to go on IRC or open another tab or do all that extras.

PMs, private rooms, and ignore functions already allow you to do this. 

Is this really hard? Control + clicking opens a new tab. 

It is a lot to code for Sheepy (and Malone). He (they) already has (have) a long to-do list. I'm not opposed to him (them) adding this, but I don't think that this should be a priority over other stuff. 

What we have now works fine. We don't need another system that may or may not be used because "lolfacebook".

Absolutely this. 

Edited by WISD0MTREE

It is a lot to code for Sheepy (and Malone). He (they) already has (have) a long to-do list. I'm not opposed to him (them) adding this, but I don't think that this should be a priority over other stuff. 

Absolutely this. 

Absolutely this. 

I guess you're still missing my point. PM is simply sending messages back and forth. It's better to chat with each other. It seems better to be able to chat with someone without having to go to the IRC and select private room. Once we leave, does the messages remain? I can tell you that I haven't used private rooms yet, so I wouldn't know the answer. But since you've been on it, does your messages remain or gone? With chatting, the messages can be stored. IRC and the other stuff can stay, I just thought I made this suggestion.

Oh trust me, there's some coding that needs to go into this. I've done coding before, to create games and other stuff. I was a bit successful, but I have given up and decided to focus on school and work. I'm not saying he/they should jump on to this suggestion, it was just something to be given consideration. He created a place where we can give game suggestion and I'm doing that, but that does not mean I expect him to get directly to it or implement it. 

I guess you're still missing my point. PM is simply sending messages back and forth. It's better to chat with each other. It seems better to be able to chat with someone without having to go to the IRC and select private room. Once we leave, does the messages remain? I can tell you that I haven't used private rooms yet, so I wouldn't know the answer. But since you've been on it, does your messages remain or gone? With chatting, the messages can be stored. IRC and the other stuff can stay, I just thought I made this suggestion.

Oh trust me, there's some coding that needs to go into this. I've done coding before, to create games and other stuff. I was a bit successful, but I have given up and decided to focus on school and work. I'm not saying he/they should jump on to this suggestion, it was just something to be given consideration. He created a place where we can give game suggestion and I'm doing that, but that does not mean I expect him to get directly to it or implement it. 

No, the messages don't remain. 

What coding language? 

No, the messages don't remain. 

What coding language? 

Oh, really? It doesn't remain? I see.

I've never taken a class dedicated solely to coding, so I wouldn't know the languages. However, while in high school, I was in a computer class that involved coding and we made cartoons, and tried to move them. It was a neat computer software, but we weren't learning how to build websites, games, and all that. It was more on cartoons. This was at Oak Park Hill High in Kansas City, Missouri.  Also, I was in a local program, and we did a bit of coding, as a means to expose us to the work. Also, there's some online coding class and online coding software and I have used them, such as Code academy, code.org. I used them for a while, but gave up, simply because it was time consuming and a bit confusing for me. Maybe you should check some of those out.

Because your memory, notepad, pastebin, and the in-game dossier don't exist.

Rightttt, because you remember ever conversation you've had. Oh and, I should copy my whole conversation and put it in my notepad, pastebin, or in-game dossier to go back to them. Better yet, preserve them to recap my friend and myself about what we were talking about a day or two ago, or perhaps a week, before renewing our private irc chat. Notepad, and in-game dossier are a neat edition, I use them mainly for to-do-list, such as "max out commerce," "eliminate disease in my first city," and that sort. They are not meant to store your conversation, unless that's what you use them for. Tell me, do you do that for every one of your conversation with someone that has been deleted?

Edited by Prince Edward

What we have now works fine. We don't need another system that may or may not be used because "lolfacebook".

It's fine for you, but not everyone is using it though. You may not use it, but I and others will. How about you give it a chance.