A Small Nitpick

Georgi Stomana

Anyone find it weird how Oil must be converted into Gasoline, yet raw mined Uranium can be chucked into a nuclear reactor or nuclear weapon without being enriched?

Democratic Republic of Koprivshtitsa (DRK; Bulgarian: Demokraticheska republika Koprivshtitsa)

Communist Party of Koprivshtitsa (CPK; Komunisticheska partiya na Koprivshtitsa (KPK))

Member-state of the Green Protection Agency

~Peace and Fraternity Between All Nations~

I can't figure out what you're saying?

Uranium found in nature consists largely of two isotopes, U-235 and U-238. The production of energy in nuclear reactors is from the 'fission' or splitting of the U-235 atoms, a process which releases energy in the form of heat. U-235 is the main fissile isotope of uranium.

Natural uranium contains 0.7% of the U-235 isotope. The remaining 99.3% is mostly the U-238 isotope which does not contribute directly to the fission process (though it does so indirectly by the formation of fissile isotopes of plutonium). Isotope separation is a physical process to concentrate (‘enrich’) one isotope relative to others. Most reactors are Light Water Reactors (of two types – PWR and BWR) and require uranium to be enriched from 0.7% to 3% to 5% U-235 in their fuel.

(source)

The issue is relatively a minor one. Nevertheless, the simple addition of a Conversion plant adds more technical depth and accuracy to the game besides adding another hurdle before the nuclear power plants start working.

• Upvote 1

Blood of a king. Heart of a lion.

Uranium found in nature consists largely of two isotopes, U-235 and U-238. The production of energy in nuclear reactors is from the 'fission' or splitting of the U-235 atoms, a process which releases energy in the form of heat. U-235 is the main fissile isotope of uranium.Natural uranium contains 0.7% of the U-235 isotope. The remaining 99.3% is mostly the U-238 isotope which does not contribute directly to the fission process (though it does so indirectly by the formation of fissile isotopes of plutonium). Isotope separation is a physical process to concentrate (‘enrich’) one isotope relative to others. Most reactors are Light Water Reactors (of two types – PWR and BWR) and require uranium to be enriched from 0.7% to 3% to 5% U-235 in their fuel.

(source)

The issue is relatively a minor one. Nevertheless, the simple addition of a Conversion plant adds more technical depth and accuracy to the game besides adding another hurdle before the nuclear power plants start working.

Now my brain is blowed

oNAK6.png

Anyone find it weird how Oil must be converted into Gasoline, yet raw mined Uranium can be chucked into a nuclear reactor or nuclear weapon without being enriched?

Oil powers plants without conversion. Your analogy is flawed.
  • Upvote 1

"It's hard to be a team player when you're omnipotent." - Q

That's what the project is for.

Enriched uranium shouldn't be a resource because it shouldn't be tradeable.

I do like the idea, though, of "they-might-give-people-nukes" hysteria provoking in-game conflict (like Iran IRL).

• Upvote 1

hxvRjGK.jpg

I do like the idea, though, of "they-might-give-people-nukes" hysteria provoking in-game conflict (like Iran IRL).

Although, now that I think about it, uranium-as-is ingame doesn't do this any less than a hypothetical enriched version.

hxvRjGK.jpg

Oil powers plants without conversion. Your analogy is flawed.

We do have refineries for gasoline and Saudi Arabia burns crude oil for electricity.   http://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.cfm?id=18111

As much as I would like it to be in the game, I don't think having to enrich uranium is necessary. I'm going to say no because

Oil powers plants without conversion.

I am also going to say no for weapons grade, because if we are going for realism we might as well add plutonium and tritium :P

Resident DJ @ Club Orbis

Founder of The Warehouse