City Power Problems

Kim Jong-Il

What were you doing (or trying to do): Power my cities like they should be

What happened (describe thoroughly please): All 4 of my cities are no longer powered, right after I purchased some land. All of the cities have the correct amt. of powerplants and adequate fuelings for them. This also occurred earlier today, but only with my first city, after I purchased some infra. Waiting it out worked, but if this persists, it might not be only me experiencing these issues, and they're affecting revenue as well, seeing as without power, commerce is 0%

Link to page: https://politicsandwar.com/nation/id=6769&mil=close

Any other relevant information:

Screenshot: attached

post-1110-0-49299800-1417225725_thumb.png

The many forms of proof regarding Kastor's sexuality:

- Kastor: I already came out the closet.

- MaIone: I'm gay

* MaIone is now known as Kastor

- Henri: i'm a !@#$it

Skable: the !@#$ is a codo?

420kekscope.jpg

It seems that waiting it solved the problem. Id still look into it for precaution

420kekscope.jpg

Its back again

Im in surplus too... 

post-1110-0-42395400-1417231847_thumb.png

420kekscope.jpg

which i did. 

420kekscope.jpg

When you have power, your steel mills use .5 coal. So you'll have power four out of five turns because your on-hand coal will never get above 2.5

i got rid of my steel mills, but that still didnt work

420kekscope.jpg

Great, now it says My first city still isnt powered, AND im for some reason not making any more munitions anymore, WTF? I dont know what, but something is seriously wrong with my nation and I can't think of it being anything but a bug. someone pls halp...

420kekscope.jpg

Great, now it says My first city still isnt powered, AND im for some reason not making any more munitions anymore, WTF? I dont know what, but something is seriously wrong with my nation and I can't think of it being anything but a bug. someone pls halp...

Yeah this is weird. Even if you didn't have enough coal, it should technically only shut down one city, not all of them :o

SHEEPY?!?!

Yeah this is weird. Even if you didn't have enough coal, it should technically only shut down one city, not all of them :o

SHEEPY?!?!

He says it's only shutting down his first city now, not all of them.

Is your munitions factory in your first city? If so, it's not producing munition because you don't have power. If you aren't making munitions in all your cities, it's more than likely that you don't have enough lead on hand to run the munitions factories.

How much coal do you have on hand. Not how much do you produce daily, how much do you have on hand. If you don't have enough coal on hand (i.e. as much or more on hand than will be used in the turn) then it won't power the city for that turn. That's not a bug, that's how it's supposed to work.

From your description, where this only happens sometimes, but is fixed with time, I'd bet all that the reason it stops powering every so often is that your stock of coal on hand has dipped lower than the amount needed to power everything for that turn.

wF9Bjre.gif

It's pretty clear to me that this was never a bug, and is simply user error.

Im certain that this wasnt my error. I had to waste some money to fix it, though. My munitions werent in my first town, and i had enough lead to make them. I was making 10 tons of coal over my usage of it, and i had plenty on hand. But thats okay if instead of looking at the problem and figuring out whether or not it was my error, and not your perfectly bugless game. Instead lets just assume it was the dumb user and everythings sunshine and rainbows ^_^ Great support, thx!

420kekscope.jpg

Im certain that this wasnt my error. I had to waste some money to fix it, though. My munitions werent in my first town, and i had enough lead to make them. I was making 10 tons of coal over my usage of it, and i had plenty on hand. But thats okay if instead of looking at the problem and figuring out whether or not it was my error, and not your perfectly bugless game. Instead lets just assume it was the dumb user and everythings sunshine and rainbows ^_^ Great support, thx!

Okay, wow, calm down there, Supreme Leader.

First, I'm not the administrator, nor am I game staff, so my comments are not "support." Don't judge Sheepy or the game based on my responses.

Second, you are wrong. I looked at your nation immediately after you posted your error message, and you had 5 coal mines, 2 steel mills, and 2100 infrastructure being powered by coal plants. No other improvements are relevant to the question of whether your cities have power. Your power needs required 2.1 coal every turn (25.2 every day), and your steel mills required 1 coal every turn (6 every day). Five coal mines produce 2.5 coal every turn (30 every day). Your nation's consumption of coal exceeded its production of coal by .1 coal every turn (1.2 every day). Most of the time, this isn't a problem, because as long as you have at least 2.6 coal on hand in a given turn, your cities will be powered and you'll produce steel every turn, and as long as you have at least 2.1 coal on hand, your cities will be powered. When your steel mills are off, you use .25 or .5 less coal each turn (depending on whether both are off), so if you have no power, your coal supplies will increase each turn.

Now that you have changed your improvements, you have 6 coal mines, 0 steel mills, and 2100 infrastructure being powered by coal plants. No other improvements are relevant to the question of whether your cities have power. Your power needs require 2.1 coal every turn (25.2 every day), and you have no other use for coal. Your 6 coal mines produce 3 coal every turn (36 every day), which exceeds your need for coal by .9 coal every turn (10.8 every day). You could build 3 steel mills (using .75 coal every turn [9 every day]) without compromising your current coal surplus.

But there are two important points you have to remember, and these often confuse new players, so you shouldn't feel bad for not understanding them:

First, any improvements that require a resource to function cannot work unless you have the required resource on hand. Having a surplus is insufficient, so if you sell all your coal, even if you are producing 100 times as much coal as you need, your power plants won't work until you produce some more.

Second, power plants don't have a fixed resource cost. Their resource consumption is dependent on the amount of infrastructure they are providing power to. A coal plant can power up to 500 infrastructure at a cost of .1 coal per turn per 100 infrastructure. This means a 100-infrastructure city costs .1 coal/turn, a 200-infrastructure city costs .2 coal/turn, and so on.

Edited by Grillick

"It's hard to be a team player when you're omnipotent." - Q

But there are two important points you have to remember, and these often confuse new players, so you shouldn't feel bad for not understanding them:

First, any improvements that require a resource to function cannot work unless you have the required resource on hand. Having a surplus is insufficient, so if you sell all your coal, even if you are producing 100 times as much coal as you need, your power plants won't work until you produce some more.

Second, power plants don't have a fixed resource cost. Their resource consumption is dependent on the amount of infrastructure they are providing power to. A coal plant can power up to 500 infrastructure at a cost of .1 coal per turn per 100 infrastructure. This means a 100-infrastructure city costs .1 coal/turn, a 200-infrastructure city costs .2 coal/turn, and so on.

I would like to apologize on my behalf of ignorance, seeing as before reading this I had no idea them power plants worked like that. I was simply flustered and frustrated at the matter, and I went off on you for no reason, seeing as only I am to blame for my blunderance. 

I also ask that you help me understand something else. If power plants dont run on consistent cost, does that mean if I bought the 3 steel mills, I would still have to have coal on my hands at all times?

420kekscope.jpg

If you wanted them to run at all times, yes you'd have to have enough coal & iron on hand at all times.

thank you for this info

420kekscope.jpg