In game loaning system

Wiliam

Because loans are quite popular here in P&W, how about implementing an in game loaning system, in order to ensure repayments are made. After two players have both agreed to a loan, interest rates and repayment time, money would automatically be transferred from the debtor to the creditor on the agreed time/date. If no money is available, then all revenue is automatically transferred before it is accessible to the debtor after each turn.

Edited by Wiliam
  • Upvote 2

Are you !@#$ kidding me?

"Hey, Ashland has started a bank.  You know what would be a great idea?  Implementing a system that makes that obsolete!"

Literally, like, twenty four hours after I did it.  Did I accidentally run over your dog or something?!  Ignoring my huge conflict of interest, there are huge problems with that:

1: Easy to take advantage of players.  You know how some people occasionally trick players into buying really bad trades using gimmicks?  This could have the potential for that but be INFINITELY worse.  A player could see "Oh, gee, a hundred thousand dollars? Awesome!"  Click accept, and then find out that all their revenue is taken forever because, look at that, the 100k was actually a loan that had 2000% interest.  You'd have to implement an expansive array of mechanical and moderation-based tools to prevent !@#$ like that.

2: How would this deal with embargoes?

3: Computer programs can't be reasoned with.  What if you go to war while you have a loan out?  I, as a human being, can defer the debtor's payments until after the war.  A program couldn't do that.  So you'd have to implement another mechanism if you wanted any kind of flexibility.  Oh, look at that, more coding, more things that could go wrong.

4: Makes setting up multis more profitable.  Way more profitable.  And it makes it easier to get money from your multis to your main without it being suspicious.  Nothing to see here, just a guy who borrowed money from me and then went inactive!  It's okay, though.  I get first dibs on his revenue (before anyone can even attack him to take it) from now until he ceases to exist.

5: The general inflexibility of a program that automatically does anything would have to be compensated for with more complex, nuanced features.  And with each additional feature and nuance it becomes easier and easier to pull the wool over the eyes of an unsuspecting player.

Edited by Ashland
  • Upvote 5

aUel2fG.png

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[10:47] you used to be the voice of irc

No

Edit: Reasons above on top of the fact that it is a bad idea in general. Me no want warn point.

Edited by underlordgc

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

In addition to all of Ashland's reasons, I am in disagreement with this because as it exists right now, if I borrow money from Ashland and then refuse to pay it back, he would have grounds to attack me, but maybe I wanted to built some support to defend myself from his retribution. As it exists right now there are a lot of chances for actual interaction and possibly drama. With your suggestion, it's just "I need money. Click click yay!"

greene.png

Formerly known as Grealind of Resvernas (28 October 2014-29 August 2017) and Greene of Japan (29 August 2017-28 Septmber 2017)

7th Caretaker of Duat, the Deity Thoth

No wait guys, I think he's saying that the system would mandate that once a banker like Ashland gave out the loan it would be repyed, not that the game itself would be a bank. Ashlands point about scamming is right on though.  

Grealind is right, in that it would take some drama away.

You guys should know that if you try to scam Ashland the entire BoC alliance will come down on top of you though, so don't even try it... :angry:

Game mechanics shouldn't remove risk from the game.

I was going to say this, too, but thought I'd get poo poo'd.

aUel2fG.png

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[10:47] you used to be the voice of irc