Market manipulation and why it doesn’t work on Orbis

Placentica

What, precisely, is the problem with it?

Let's use an example.  Person A posts an offer to buy steel for 1200 dollars per unit, overcutting an offer of 1150 pu.  Person B sells him 100 steel for 1200 dollars per unit.  Person A then posts a selling for the steel at 1400 dollars per unit, undercutting 1450 dollars per unit.  Person C buys it from him for 1400 dollars per unit instead of 1450.

Let's say that Person A never did any of those things (which was more work than what B or C did).  None of that would have ever happened, so B would have sold steel at 1150 per unit and C would have bought it at 1450 per unit.  So Person A doing what they did:

Earned Person B an extra 5,000 dollars.

Saved Person C an extra 5,000 dollars.

Earned, for themselves, 20,000 dollars.

Yes, Person A earned more than anyone else.  But you know what?  Person A also did more work than anyone else and they took more risk than anyone else and their actions saved other people money and made the market allocate money more efficiently.  Is Person B complaining?  Is Person C complaining?  The only people who complain are the people that A undercut and overcut.  What A did was good for the market, good for people producing steel, and good for people buying it.  By exploiting a gap in buying and selling prices, they also reduced the gap!

Everyone who engaged with Person A from beginning to end benefited.  Isn't that the point of a market?  Mutually beneficial interactions?  Person A is receiving a premium, in the form of cash, for taking on additional risk, work, and waiting longer to see a return.  These things have value.  That is where the extra money is coming from.  To say that they are not producing value is false.

Person A spends both time and risk, and receives some money. If channel trading added no value, the Donchian channel would not exist, everyone would just sell and buy at the average price.

With a relatively high income now, over 500k, I find trading is generating only very modest income.  The buyers and sellers are smarter then they were a month ago, and its harder to turn big profits.  Plus, I need a lot more resources then I used to, so now when I buy its mostly for my own use rather then resell.

But one alliance can impact prices overall quite a bit, I've no doubt.  One nation alone?  Maybe for a few hours, which is enough time to profit quite a bit, I've no doubt.

Duke of House Greyjoy

Disregard posts, this one in particular, acquire currency.  Mods please delete.

Edited by terminus467

aUel2fG.png

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[10:47] you used to be the voice of irc

Isn't that how all of the top nations got to the top?  Buy Steel 1100, sell 1400, collect 300ppu profit?  Wouldn't we have to embargo you too?

No, you just got there by getting people to aid you to your first few cities at the beginning. Because that's so much more moral.

I didn't do either. Does that make me a moral and upright player?

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

I didn't do either. Does that make me a moral and upright player?

I have heard so many people say that you are the epitome of moral and upright players.  I think Gandhi said it.

• Upvote 1

aUel2fG.png

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm going to figure this market out and make Millions MAH!!

I will be great someday.

Though I've definitely not figured out everything, I'll tell you everything that I've figured out on my own if you like.  For what I think is a very reasonable fee.

Edited by Jason Mansor

aUel2fG.png

Though I've definitely not figured out everything, I'll tell you everything that I've figured out on my own if you like.  For what I think is a very reasonable fee.

And what is your reasonable fee?

• 2 weeks later...