Tabular Rasa or Innatism

Abu Haddad

Do you believe in Tabular Rasa or Innatism  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you think is the correct theory about the human brain

Innatism is a philosophical and epistemological doctrine that holds that the mind is born with ideas/knowledge, and that therefore the mind is not a "blank slate" at birth, as early empiricists such as John Locke claimed. It asserts that not all knowledge is gained from experience and the senses.

Tabula rasa (/ˈtæbjÉ™lÉ™ ËˆrÉ‘ËsÉ™-zəˈreɪ-/) refers to the epistemological idea that individuals are born without built-in mental content and that therefore all knowledge comes from experience or perception. Proponents of tabula rasa generally disagree with the doctrine of Innatism which holds that the mind is born already in possession of certain knowledge. Generally, proponents of the tabula rasa theory also favor the "nurture" side of the nature versus nurture debate when it comes to aspects of one's personality, social and emotional behavior, knowledge and sapience.

Nativism, similar to innatism but the concept are in the human genome and is spread through genealogy.

If i took a newborn baby and placed him in a room and fed it and cared for it and then released it 20 years later would it believe in anything superior or science even though both concepts were not introduced to it?

Caliph of The Caliphate of Arabia. Caliph of the Islamic State of Arabia. Principle of The Principality of Chechnya. Grand Emir of The Emirate of The Caucus. Emperor of the Empire of Persia. Sultan of The Sultanates of Turkey and The Crimea. Czar of the Tsardom of The Balkans. Archon of The Archonate of Greece. Supreme Consul of The Consulate of Italy. Shah of The Shahdom Of Khorason

If i took a newborn baby and placed him in a room and fed it and cared for it and then released it 20 years later would it believe in anything superior or science even though both concepts were not introduced to it?

Could you please explain this better? I don't quite follow.

Edited by Prezyan

Psweet> pro-tip: don't listen to baronus if Prezyan disagrees with him

5:48 AM — +Eva-Beatrice sq**rts all over the walls

Eva-Beatrice> I'd let Sintiya conquer me anyday x)

10:56 PM — +Eva-Beatrice m*st*rb*tes in front of Prezyan

12:13 AM — +Eva-Beatrice has no one to !@#$ :(

if i took a baby a baby and didn't say anything about god to it or anti-god things to it would it believe in god

How exactly would human beings have information magically transmitted into their brains at birth?

When god created humans their soul or thoughts would be programmed to believe in god

Caliph of The Caliphate of Arabia. Caliph of the Islamic State of Arabia. Principle of The Principality of Chechnya. Grand Emir of The Emirate of The Caucus. Emperor of the Empire of Persia. Sultan of The Sultanates of Turkey and The Crimea. Czar of the Tsardom of The Balkans. Archon of The Archonate of Greece. Supreme Consul of The Consulate of Italy. Shah of The Shahdom Of Khorason

Innatism is a philosophical and epistemological doctrine that holds that the mind is born with ideas/knowledge, and that therefore the mind is not a "blank slate" at birth, as early empiricists such as John Locke claimed. It asserts that not all knowledge is gained from experience and the senses.

Tabula rasa (/ˈtæbjÉ™lÉ™ ËˆrÉ‘ËsÉ™, -zÉ™, Ëˆreɪ-/) refers to the epistemological idea that individuals are born without built-in mental content and that therefore all knowledge comes from experience or perception. Proponents of tabula rasa generally disagree with the doctrine of Innatism which holds that the mind is born already in possession of certain knowledge. Generally, proponents of the tabula rasa theory also favor the "nurture" side of the nature versus nurture debate when it comes to aspects of one's personality, social and emotional behavior, knowledge and sapience.

Nativism, similar to innatism but the concept are in the human genome and is spread through genealogy.

I would say neither are correct, but that an integrative approach would be closer to accurate. People are born with genetic predispositions that make it more likely that they favour certain things, but alas your environment, and social surroundings clearly have a key influence in you as well.

Also, I think you may have the wrong definition of Nativism: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nativism. Don't think it has anything to do with the human genome at all unless it is a biopsychology term I haven't heard of.

When designing a poll you have to include all choices and not just those you approve of if you want to see what other people think. Add a none of the above option.

If you had a baby and did not interact with it at all, besides for feeding and clothing it, and kept it secluded from the outside social world would it have any ideas of morality or religion is what he's asking.

When god created humans their soul or thoughts would be programmed to believe in god

That runs counter to your belief in free choice. Programming people to believe in God is not free choice.

• Upvote 1

Blank slate in terms of knowledge. Definitely some form of personality. Not a soul, but your specific wiring of the brain and chemical balance. Immediately as you pop out, you start learning and your mind builds around your present condition.

Your genes are where you start and how you start off. Experiences can send your development somewhere else.

I am me because of my physical body. If I got a robot body, I sure as shit would be different. That's why people change when their body changes in temporary and permanent aging cycles.

If you were born in a void: Nothing to experience, nothing to learn, no development. A vegetable.

Identical Twins: Same genes, but different experiences. They look like clones at a young age and slowly start to look different. At old age, they're sometimes as identical as siblings born at different times.

Everyone else: Can have similar if not nearly identical experiences, but different development because of different genetics.