The "Closed dev group" thing.

Prefontaine

I pretty much agree with everything you said but I feel like there's plenty of people that are complaining just for the sake of complaining, and they'll continue to do so.

It's also worth noting that the group is hardly as influential as people seem to think it is. Everyone is treating it like the whole new spy suggestion was crafted by our group because it benefits us, when in reality the only thing we influenced was the spy assassination damage because there was a topic about it a couple days before the big thread. Everything else, we got blindsided with at almost the same time as the public forums, and started talking about at more or less the same time. The difference being that while everywhere else went on this huge freakout and made few to no suggestions for adjustment, the dev group talked about what could be improved and how they thought those changes would work out. Sometimes it's useful to just have a group of knowledgeable people who will stay calm about things and only focus on what they think would be good for the game.

Right now, our only really active topics are that proposed spy changes thread (which is also a thread that we suggested Sheepy cross-post and make public), the "suggest new members", two threads talking about different ways of rolling out ideas publicly as well as in the dev group so that this doesn't happen again, and one where someone suggested anonymous ads and we basically agreed that would probably lead to people being dicks because they were anonymous. We're hardly crafting a revolution of the world there.

<+JohnHarms> We need more feminists

also,there were MANY different suggestions made.These are the ones sheepy felt best about in the end. The dev group discusses them but it isn't like some democracy going on there. Sheepy is the dev tyrant.

I'm fine with people knowing that I'm in the group, but I don't know who all is comfortable with it and who is not.

Since you asked, and I'm pretty sure plenty of people want to know, I started a poll asking people if they were comfortable with it being listed publicly. I'm pretty sure most of our members are up front about being in there, but I just don't want to post about others if they aren't okay with it - particularly because some people who don't like the dev group are using it as an excuse to treat the members badly.

Edited by Pax

I pretty much agree with everything you said but I feel like there's plenty of people that are complaining just for the sake of complaining, and they'll continue to do so.

It's also worth noting that the group is hardly as influential as people seem to think it is. Everyone is treating it like the whole new spy suggestion was crafted by our group because it benefits us, when in reality the only thing we influenced was the spy assassination damage because there was a topic about it a couple days before the big thread. Everything else, we got blindsided with at almost the same time as the public forums, and started talking about at more or less the same time. The difference being that while everywhere else went on this huge freakout and made few to no suggestions for adjustment, the dev group talked about what could be improved and how they thought those changes would work out. Sometimes it's useful to just have a group of knowledgeable people who will stay calm about things and only focus on what they think would be good for the game.

You must be out of the loop in your group because Sheepy said the changes were designed with the help of the group over some time.

We've been doing a lot of discussion about spy changes lately, and I think we've come up with an appropriate fix to everyone's woes. Here is outlined a list of changes that are to be in the near future.

We've been working on this for weeks, and have been honing and finely tuning these changes into what most out our little dev group thinks is acceptable across the board. These should all be benevolent changes that improve the game and will making spying a unique and less war-like facet of the game.

Unless Sheepy is lying.

But anyway the discussion you had in your private group is vastly different than the public forums because there was no room for a discussion, the stance of the update thread was "Some people came up with these ideas and now everyone in the game has to deal with it". 

• Upvote 2

IpHGyGc.png

I did in fact miss a topic about the spy thing because it was further down and I got the title mixed up with another thread in the group. Which is a pretty big mistake on my part, willing to own up to that. However, from the looks of that topic sheepy made some suggestions and the major changes I'm seeing that were changed were the reduced assassination damages, raised refunds on people over 50 spies, and hiding spies killed/captured. There's a lot of discussion on hiding spies from public view and all, but that will be talked about in the future and there was too much debate for us to think it should be released without more discussion. Again, my mistake.

And I do think that the public should be able to suggest changes, but like Sheepy said in his thread

I'm making sure there's nothing horrifically wrong with any of these changes before I make them

If people want changes to be made to a suggestion, talking about what's wrong with it is a good way to do so. It's not like everything is being ignored just because it's in public, there's a lot of discussion about this going on in our group. And like I said above, we're talking about different ways to have public forums weigh in on major changes, it's not like we're going to be running a tyranny here. 

Edited by Pax

Well reasons were already giving why capping spies is a bad idea by numerous people including me, but alas Sheepy should be already thinking long and hard before doing that now.

If he doesn't change his mind I suppose someone can make a thread with a list of pros and cons of putting a cap on spies. 

IpHGyGc.png

That would actually be pretty helpful. A lot of the discussion in the main thread is buried under the discussion of the dev group, a thread where people just discussed the pros and cons of the changes might lead to a better result.

Edit: Maybe talking about it here would be good? http://politicsandwar.com/forums/index.php?/topic/7335-spy-cap/

Edited by Pax