Nation Events

Alastor

6 minutes ago, Justinian the Great said:

PnW is sorely missing some kind of dynamic element to mix things up every once in awhile.

Every 10 days your nation gets an event. These are randomized, potentially weighted so some are more common to occur, and have a few options to choose from on how to deal with them.

Example events:

The Ant and the Grasshopper

Your nation has had an unseasonably hot and dry summer, and the National Farmer Association is petitioning your administration for assistance stating the the entire harvest this year may collapse without support. Your cabinet has laid out a few options for you to choose.

Option A. The farmlands are the heart of this nation and the breadbasket of our region, send them what they need immediately!

Effect: Food output increased by 10% for 14 days. National Tax Revenue reduced by 2% for 14 days.

Option B. We import most of our food anyway, it's time we give up this antiquated idea of farming and move on to more modern means. Repurpose the farmlands into industrial space.

Effect: Food output decreased by 50% for the next 14 days. Mining (raw) output increased by 25% for 14 days.

Option C. We cannot afford to subsidize the farmers at this time. Who do they think they are, asking for a handout?

Effect: Food output decreased by 33% for 14 days.

Option D. Privatized farmlands lead to grossly mismanaged resources essential to the function of any nation. Nationalize the farms and bring them under the control of the state.

Effect: Food output decreased by 10% for 14 days. National Tax Revenue increased by 2% for 14 days.

Fool me once shame on me, fool me twice... can't fool me again.

Your intelligence director has just laid a dossier on your desk detailing a planned terrorist attack on your capital. The only problem is that the terrorists reside halfway across the world in a poorer area of the world. Many of your top advisors are questioning whether or not such a force could actualize on their plans, and question the accuracy of the threat assessment.

Option A. Have your intelligence director reassess the threat and have him allocate more agents towards this. These so-called terrorists can't possibly threaten a nation as powerful as yours.

Effect: Defensive Spy Ops effectiveness reduced by 33% for 14 days. Can recruit an extra spy per day for 14 days.

Option B. If the intelligence director believes the threat is real we must treat it with all seriousness. Prepare the defenses and make sure we are not vulnerable to attack!

Effect: Defensive spy ops effectiveness increased by 33% for 14 days.

Option C. These terrorists have been a thorn in our side for far too long... Prepare a response team to take out the leaders, discreetly.

Effect: Offensive spy ops effectiveness increased by 33% for 14 days.

Option D. I have a few constituents who would be very wealthy if our country went to war... Call up the armed forces, we're taking the war to the terrorists!

Effect. National tax revenue reduced by 5%. Military unit purchase cost reduced by 20% (resources and cash)

Yes, CN Events/ NS Issues could be a cool thing to implement.

• Upvote 3

Screenshot_20240324_192453_650x175.webp.371a50f212b24d8a1b47b600fff6903f.webp
Hammer Councillor of The Lost Mines
Diety Emeritus of The Immortals, Patres Conscripti (President Emeritus) of the Independent Republic of Orange Nations, Lieutenant Emeritus of Black Skies, Imperator Emeritus of the Valyrian Freehold, Imperator Emeritus of the Divine Phoenix, Prefect Emeritus of Carthago, Regent Emeritus of the New Polar Order, Coal Duke (Imperator Emeritus) of The Coal Mines

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2021 at 2:33 PM, Justinian the Great said:

PnW is sorely missing some kind of dynamic element to mix things up every once in awhile.

Every 10 days your nation gets an event. These are randomized, potentially weighted so some are more common to occur, and have a few options to choose from on how to deal with them.

Example events:

The Ant and the Grasshopper

Your nation has had an unseasonably hot and dry summer, and the National Farmer Association is petitioning your administration for assistance stating the the entire harvest this year may collapse without support. Your cabinet has laid out a few options for you to choose.

Option A. The farmlands are the heart of this nation and the breadbasket of our region, send them what they need immediately!

Effect: Food output increased by 10% for 14 days. National Tax Revenue reduced by 2% for 14 days.

Option B. We import most of our food anyway, it's time we give up this antiquated idea of farming and move on to more modern means. Repurpose the farmlands into industrial space.

Effect: Food output decreased by 50% for the next 14 days. Mining (raw) output increased by 25% for 14 days.

Option C. We cannot afford to subsidize the farmers at this time. Who do they think they are, asking for a handout?

Effect: Food output decreased by 33% for 14 days.

Option D. Privatized farmlands lead to grossly mismanaged resources essential to the function of any nation. Nationalize the farms and bring them under the control of the state.

Effect: Food output decreased by 10% for 14 days. National Tax Revenue increased by 2% for 14 days.

Fool me once shame on me, fool me twice... can't fool me again.

Your intelligence director has just laid a dossier on your desk detailing a planned terrorist attack on your capital. The only problem is that the terrorists reside halfway across the world in a poorer area of the world. Many of your top advisors are questioning whether or not such a force could actualize on their plans, and question the accuracy of the threat assessment.

Option A. Have your intelligence director reassess the threat and have him allocate more agents towards this. These so-called terrorists can't possibly threaten a nation as powerful as yours.

Effect: Defensive Spy Ops effectiveness reduced by 33% for 14 days. Can recruit an extra spy per day for 14 days.

Option B. If the intelligence director believes the threat is real we must treat it with all seriousness. Prepare the defenses and make sure we are not vulnerable to attack!

Effect: Defensive spy ops effectiveness increased by 33% for 14 days.

Option C. These terrorists have been a thorn in our side for far too long... Prepare a response team to take out the leaders, discreetly.

Effect: Offensive spy ops effectiveness increased by 33% for 14 days.

Option D. I have a few constituents who would be very wealthy if our country went to war... Call up the armed forces, we're taking the war to the terrorists!

Effect. National tax revenue reduced by 5%. Military unit purchase cost reduced by 20% (resources and cash)

This idea could be fun to have implemented.

I think this is a really interesting mechanic but  there are three things I wish to note:
1 : Sometimes you should have to choose between purely bad options, only positive events are boring bro 😛
2 : The list would need to keep expanding so people dont get the same 5 event over and over again, because at that point it becomes very stale too.
3 : Some events should be more interesting than just purely adding or removing some (relatively) minor stats. I think ideas of for example having a defence slot less (so only two) for 10 days, to gain a combat bonus, to gain a unique treasure (which can also be stolen, and dissapears after two months ofc) etc.. would be a lot more interesting and would make these events actually worth it and not just some boring minor stats which few people care about. Ofcourse these pretty powerfull effects listed above should be far more rare than "Gain 30% extra spy defense" for obvious reasons.

bonus: It would also be interesting if some events cause cross nation interaction (for example you gain 200% extra loot against this nation for 5 days), or require you to fufill "objectives" to gain a reward.

However I realize im probably over ambitious here, but hey no harm in sharing.

• Upvote 1

On 12/10/2021 at 10:56 AM, BelgiumFury said:

I think this is a really interesting mechanic but  there are three things I wish to note:
1 : Sometimes you should have to choose between purely bad options, only positive events are boring bro 😛
2 : The list would need to keep expanding so people dont get the same 5 event over and over again, because at that point it becomes very stale too.
3 : Some events should be more interesting than just purely adding or removing some (relatively) minor stats. I think ideas of for example having a defence slot less (so only two) for 10 days, to gain a combat bonus, to gain a unique treasure (which can also be stolen, and dissapears after two months ofc) etc.. would be a lot more interesting and would make these events actually worth it and not just some boring minor stats which few people care about. Ofcourse these pretty powerfull effects listed above should be far more rare than "Gain 30% extra spy defense" for obvious reasons.

bonus: It would also be interesting if some events cause cross nation interaction (for example you gain 200% extra loot against this nation for 5 days), or require you to fufill "objectives" to gain a reward.

However I realize im probably over ambitious here, but hey no harm in sharing.

community can help wiht that. also we can steal i mean, "gain inspiration" from NS issues.

8 hours ago, Mohammad.badawy4 said:

community can help wiht that. also we can steal i mean, "gain inspiration" from NS issues.

don't steal. If the community + game design team isn't creative enough to make their own event they should have events anyway. 

3 hours ago, BelgiumFury said:

don't steal. If the community + game design team isn't creative enough to make their own event they should have events anyway. 

pretty sure 65% of PW community is or was memebr of NS tho......

but def creativity is great

On 12/13/2021 at 6:01 PM, Mohammad.badawy4 said:

pretty sure 65% of PW community is or was memebr of NS tho......

I call bs, and even if that statistic was true, it doesn't matter. The creator of NS isn't alex, and alex shouldn't (and i know he won't) steal from others.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, KiWilliam said:

Personally I always hated *those game mechanics* and would rather RNG be reserved for war only. Without over complicating it even more, getting the short end of the stick of RNG in yet another avenue of the game doesn't sit well with me.

Exactly, even if all of the events were net positives for a nation it would benefit some more than others... if some were negative effects and others positive then it would be even worse. And before anyone says "Oh but it will all average out over time", I would like to say that then there would be no point to implement it at all :v

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Humans cannot create anything out of nothingness. Humans cannot accomplish anything without holding onto something. After all, humans are not gods.

On 12/16/2021 at 11:49 PM, Kyubnyan said:

I would like to say that then there would be no point to implement it at all :v

I don't think that's fair. Then the point is to take advantage of he bonuses you get when you get them. 
Now I won't mind if we don't get them, and I don't expect these types of events to exist, but i don't think if they're interesting enough that's a fair counter point.