Modify New Player Selling Buy/Sell Trade Restriction.

Ok, I'm a new player, but I am already trying to broker on the market. The current limit is new players cannot buy or sell for +- 15% of the average price for the said resource. While this might normally be good, in cases like today where the oil can be bought for 30% less than the buy price this effectively stops new players from brokering. I honestly find it sooooo annoying when a potential for great profit comes along and I put in my order only to be told I'm to new to take part :/

I don't even know how long this 'new player' stats lasts, but please, please. If you don't want to remove the filters, at least make them change from +- 15% of the average price into +- 15% of the top buy price or the bottom selling price depending on the action the player is taking. This still stops crazy 1,000,000 for 1 food trades, but also allows new players to trade competitively.

Please fix this, I like making money from brokering and whenever this happens I just get really annoyed.

Edited by 8583
  • Upvote 2

• Administrators

I don't even know how long this 'new player' stats lasts, but please, please. If you don't want to remove the filters, at least make them change from +- 15% of the average price into +- 15% of the top buy price or the bottom selling price depending on the action the player is taking. This still stops crazy 1,000,000 for 1 food trades, but also allows new players to trade competitively.

This would not stop crazy 1,000,000 for 1 food trades. All it would take is a single person to put a trade like that on the market, and then anyone could trade at any price, effectively creating no restrictions.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

• Wiki Mod

The issue here is that the average price is broken, really we need two separate averages, one for buy & one for sell. Taking the average of the last dozen or so transactions. Not the x amount of resources changing hands that we have now.

• Upvote 2

23:38 Skable that's why we don't want Rose involved, so we can take the m all for ourselves

23:39 [] but Mensa is the cute girl at the school dance and she's only dancing with us right now to get our friend jealous

23:39 [] If Rose comes in and gives Mensa what she wants, she'll just toss us aside and forget we ever existed

23:39 zombie_lanae yeah I do hope we can keep having them all to ourselves

23:40 zombie_lanae I know it's selfish but I want all their love

6:55 PM <+Isolatar> Praise Dio

Pubstomper|BNC [20:01:55] Rose wouldn't plan a hit on Mensa because it would be &#33;@#&#036;ing stupid

This would not stop crazy 1,000,000 for 1 food trades. All it would take is a single person to put a trade like that on the market, and then anyone could trade at any price, effectively creating no restrictions.

Well no, if the market were completely bought out, I doubt anything could stop it. But if the separate averages are set around the Highest Sell price and the Lowest Buy price then the average will be built around what the current market is around. At the moment this is usually the case, except where prices drop or increase and the other side of the market has to catch up. This means that profit can increase to double or triple the other resources for brokers, but essentially means that going by the average built around the total price excludes new players who have the restriction.

The difference would not be that great. As the sell price will always edge down and the buy price always tries to edge up? If it was highest and highest price for each, it would undoutebly fail, but by putting the averages near what the broker needs it would still work I'm sure.

I mean if it was built the way I suggest how could someone sell food for 1 million or buy a million food for 1 if the market was not completely bought out? 

Edited by 8583

Yeah, right now oil "average price" is $1,168 while the lowest buy price is $968 and the highest sell price is $850. I can literally only BUY oil at $993 thanks to the restriction. Yes I would need to buy oil for more than it is selling for right now :/

I literally cannot trade in oil right now without taking a large loss by default.

I don't know if my idea was the best or the worst, but please fix this somehow.

Chiming in as one of BK's brokering instructors.  The number of times I've had newbies come to me saying "this resource looks lucrative to trade in, but the game isn't letting me do it, what's up with that" is really starting to bother me.  

I understand that the point of the restriction is to stop the creation of new nations for sweetheart deals and such, but this is a terrible way to go about it.  You are cutting newbies off from the best source of income they have.  Penalizing people who lack a vested interest in the game is dumb - it leads to disenchantment, makes them feel like they're apart from the rest of the game, and makes them less likely to be active in it.  

I don't pretend to know what the perfect solution is (although fixing the average price to make it useful - in literally any sense, since right now it absolutely isn't at all - would be very welcome), but the current solution is downright harmful.  Please consider changing it.  I shudder to think that the next market prodigy might have discovered this game, tried to broker and make moves on the market, and got told he couldn't, because reasons; and then he'd leave.  

• Upvote 4

I'd also like to ask, because I cannot figure it out myself, exactly what the purpose of the restriction is.  It doesn't seem to me that it accomplishes anything.

If the aim is to restrict sweetheart deals, the restriction is 100% bypassed by using private trade offers.

If the aim is to stop newbies from being able to broker at the prices they want.... why?  Why is this a thing that needs restricting?  

• Upvote 2

I can confirm:

11/29 10:06 pm

Psweet of Order of the Tree accepted your trade offer. You received $1.00 and in exchange Psweet received 1 food.

I just sold food for faaaaaaar less than the average price, this trade thing does nothing except prevent newBs from brokering on the global market.

Market averages don't work super well when the market isn't really busy enough to justify an average in the first place. Food average is swayed by people trying to sell for 400+ and people trying to buy for 80 or less. All other resources are the same sadly, sometimes worse. Had a guy trying to buy 99,999 of a resource for $1 each the other day.

• Wiki Mod

The average changes based on the last x amount of y resource changing hands. X is tiny less then 1k last I checked. 

23:38 Skable that's why we don't want Rose involved, so we can take the m all for ourselves

23:39 [] but Mensa is the cute girl at the school dance and she's only dancing with us right now to get our friend jealous

23:39 [] If Rose comes in and gives Mensa what she wants, she'll just toss us aside and forget we ever existed

23:39 zombie_lanae yeah I do hope we can keep having them all to ourselves

23:40 zombie_lanae I know it's selfish but I want all their love

6:55 PM <+Isolatar> Praise Dio

Pubstomper|BNC [20:01:55] Rose wouldn't plan a hit on Mensa because it would be &#33;@#&#036;ing stupid

The average changes based on the last x amount of y resource changing hands. X is tiny less then 1k last I checked. 

Fairly certain it's currently 200. Might have been 5,000 at some point (or maybe that was just a suggestion? I don't recall). Either way, both quantities are small enough to fully swing back and forth between buy/sell in a single purchase.

• Upvote 1
RollSheepy.png

The issue here is that the average price is broken, really we need two separate averages, one for buy & one for sell. Taking the average of the last dozen or so transactions. Not the x amount of resources changing hands that we have now.

I agree, I've been arguing this every time Alex talks about the average price. The buy and sell price are always separated by a big gap, there's 2 prices for everything. An "average" price that flips back and forth between those two is pretty useless.

Also, when this change was implemented, I had 0 problems taking money from a couple of multis on the test server. I think the method I used was simply having the main nation put a public offer to buy food at 1mil each, and then having the multis accept those offers. So the current system doesn't seem airtight to me.

• Upvote 1