Favorite Fictional Works

Frederick

List your top three fiction authors below and list a few example stories/books by them that you particularly enjoy.  Also, please explain why you like one of the works you mention and maybe how it has changed you in any way(if it has).

For me:

1. J.R.R. Tolkien (Lord of the Rings)

2. H.P. Lovecraft (Dagon, Call of Cthulhu)

3.  Robert E. Howard (Conan Series)

I personally think Tolkien is one of the best Fantasy writers of all time.  His writings evoke the imagination beyond what most successors could; emulating the form of the ancient epics of the Hellenic world as well as the myths of Central and Northern Europe.  The theme of a seemingly common man who is chosen by destiny to rise up against a threat larger than himself is reused in almost every modern fantasy novel, but was started by Tolkien who in turn was very much influenced by European folklore(particularly Germanic).  This is where the concept of elves and dwarves stemmed from-as many probably already know.  I believe the best way to test the merit of a work of art is to question whether it spans for generation after generation or if it is instead limited to its particular epoch.  If the Lord of the Rings is to be viewed as a work of art, it can also be said to be transcendental because it is not limited to the values nor culture of a specific time or place.  It is timeless and can be applied universally to the human spirit as a whole regardless of geographic location(i.e. It is Romantic in a sense and resonates with the "soul" of its readers on an intuitive level).  The Lord of the Rings is a work that transcends the limits of modernity and linear time by connecting us to the ancient past and the holistic embrace of nature that characterized primeval man.  It reminds us of adventure and conquest in the name of greater meaning; a life of conflict and darkness yet hope and internal clarity.  I like this epic, because its main character Frodo begins as an ordinary hobbit who lives a simple and peaceful life where he is isolated from the darker things that lurk beyond.  However, circumstance eventually forces him from his home on a mighty quest to conquer first himself (his fear and weakness) and eventually the power of the Dark Lord-Sauron.  This sudden thrust into adversity in a massive conflict between forces of "good and evil" brings out the heroic genius that would have perhaps lain dormant otherwise.  Here, Frodo begins a long journey of struggle and self-awakening, unraveling potential that will no longer be squandered by peaceful contentment.  Frodo is forced to become larger than life; a legendary figure who inspires even the mightiest of kings-Aragorn, son of Arathorn-to swear allegiance to him.  For me, this story of self-cultivation and heroism for something beyond ourselves is truly something that should inspire countless generations as it has myself even in my personal life.  

Edited by Octavius
  • Upvote 3

"Your cattle will die, your friends will die, you will die. But your reputation, if it is good, will never die."  -excerpt from the Havamal

"We are born into this time and must bravely follow the path to the destined end. There is no other way. Our duty is to hold on to the lost position, without hope, without rescue, like that Roman soldier whose bones were found in front of a door in Pompeii, who, during the eruption of Vesuvius, died at his post because they forgot to relieve him. That is greatness. That is what it means to be a thoroughbred. The honorable end is the one thing that can not be taken from a man."  -Oswald Spengler

HP Lovecraft - I have his entire works, letters and essays in print and in .pdf form.

Clark Ashton Smith - His work is phenomenal as a horror writer and his style is considered, in my opinion, the best of the early Weird Tales/Mythos contributors.

Terry Pratchett - Discworld. Need I go on?

• Upvote 1

HP Lovecraft - I have his entire works, letters and essays in print and in .pdf form.

Clark Ashton Smith - His work is phenomenal as a horror writer and his style is considered, in my opinion, the best of the early Weird Tales/Mythos contributors.

Terry Pratchett - Discworld. Need I go on?

Clark Ashton Smith's stories looks very interesting and from what I can tell kind of like a cross between Lovecraft and Edgar Allan Poe.  Good stuff, now I know what to read next :)

• Upvote 1

"Your cattle will die, your friends will die, you will die. But your reputation, if it is good, will never die."  -excerpt from the Havamal

"We are born into this time and must bravely follow the path to the destined end. There is no other way. Our duty is to hold on to the lost position, without hope, without rescue, like that Roman soldier whose bones were found in front of a door in Pompeii, who, during the eruption of Vesuvius, died at his post because they forgot to relieve him. That is greatness. That is what it means to be a thoroughbred. The honorable end is the one thing that can not be taken from a man."  -Oswald Spengler

Jack Whyte and his "Camulod Chronicles". Its a cool first person, historical fiction account of the King Arthur legend.

Terry Goodkind and his "Sword of Truth" series

Robert Jordan and his "Wheel of Time" series and "Conan" series

Stephan R. Donaldson and his "The Chonicles of Thomas Covenant" series

They are all great fantasy series which I highly recommend.

• Upvote 2

X4EfkAB.png

Clark Ashton Smith's stories looks very interesting and from what I can tell kind of like a cross between Lovecraft and Edgar Allan Poe.  Good stuff, now I know what to read next :)

Arkham Press published in hardcover A Rendezvous in Averoigne by CA Smith. Much of his more popular work is in that book.

Also, his work is online.

Edited by The King in Yellow

I don't exactly have a favorite author but I do have favorite books and the top three I have are

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson- really realistic read and had a main character that I just found myself relating to

The Boy Who Couldn't Sleep and Never Had to by DC Pierson- yes that's the title name. The premise is really interesting and had one of the best character dynamics I ever saw between the two main characters. My only complaint is that it seriously needs a sequel.

Sleeping Freshman Never Lie by David Lugar - a good combination of comedy and drama with lessons on topics such as brotherhood.

I'd also like to give a shout out to Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal by Chris Colfer for a really engaging MC and character development.

Edited by Amaryllis

Nerd To The Core

水滸傳 (Water Margin) by æ–½è€åºµ (Si Noi-am) - The foundational novel that introduces you to many of China's best known heroes.

三國演義 (Romance of Three Kingdoms) by  ç¾…貫中 (Logungzung) - A literary epic thats part fantasty and part history. It puts the LoTR novels to shame.

紅樓夢 (Dream of the Red Chamber) by 曹雪芹 (Cou Syut-kan) - A vast novel with rich character development and accurate details of the Middle Kingdom of old.

!å清å¤æ˜Ž!

"The resort to wu (warfare) is an admission of bankruptcy in the pursuit of wen (civility or culture). Consequently, it should be a last resort. Expansion through wen... is natural and proper; whereas expansion by wu, brute force and conquest, is never to be condoned.†