Being Governor before President?

Jerry LeRow

An interesting quote I found yesterday: "I don't think anybody should become President if they haven't been Governor first." (Source: Governing.com, Kevin McCarthy (R-CA))

Although I don't think it should be a must, I think Clinton performed outstanding, in my eyes because he, as former governor, was in the role of the head of executive power of Arkansas before. As potus is an "upscaled" version of this job, I think he had a pretty good time, whereas Obama, with his only experience of being a junior senator for 2-3 years, has a pretty hard time figureing out how the political process works.

So... your thoughts?

whereas Obama, with his only experience of being a junior senator for 2-3 years, has a pretty hard time figureing out how the political process works.

I don't think this is true at all. The only (non-racist) reason Obama is seen as less effectual than some previous Presidents is because he has faced one of the most obstructionist and corrupt Congresses in the history of the Union.

Having any sort of requirement of this kind just increases the power of the political "cliques", which is an outcome that should be discouraged.

There is no order and no meaning,

there is only the truth of The Signal.

The Signal ever transmits from here

to the eyes and ears of the 'verse.

Can't Stop The Signal.

Well.. I think he's in the same position Schwarzenegger found himself: Both thought they come in and tell the legislators how to behave. The difference is that Schwarzenegger learned and negotiated with both sides, whereas Obama still wants to overrule the gop whenever they disagree with him...

whereas Obama still wants to overrule the gop whenever they disagree with him...

Which is almost 100% of the time. You can't negotiate with people who will, by their very nature, not compromise on their policy demands.

Just about every time there has been bipartisan negotiation between the GOP and the Dems since Obama took office, it has been marked by intransigent Republicans refusing to give even the slightest ground and Dems willing to make cuts to their own policy favourites (social security chief among them).

Herman Cain would have been pretty good...

Alas, his tax plan would have bankrupted the country pretty fast and led to a default - probably taking the world's economy with it.

Can't Stop The Signal.

I don't think it should be a prerequisite to being president, because anyone should be able to be president as long as they are elected (which is why I am in favor of public campaign funding only.)

BUT, I will being governor before being president probably would be a good idea, I know from experience living in Arkansas that Bill Clinton did good things in our state and him being relatively liberal in a conservative state did most likely teach better negotiation skills. 

EHEqT.jpg

Why don't we stop making it seem cool to go to college for a degree in politics? I'm not saying its bad to do that, but that doesn't make the person better than someone that has spent all of their life working with people.

It might make them more "text book" smart, but also make them less "street smart".

That guy that has worked in the fields with people from almost every background possible would be able to make decisions that will affect all of them equally and not cause anyone to lose a job or their home.

DO WHAT YOU WANT CAUSE A PIRATE IS FREE!

YOU ARE A PIRATE!

Alas, his tax plan would have bankrupted the country pretty fast and led to a default - probably taking the world's economy with it.

But he was in business. He would have seen the numbers falling and been able to fix it fast. We almost defaulted with Obama, too. (I'm not saying that it wouldn't make us go into debt)

Why don't we stop making it seem cool to go to college for a degree in politics? I'm not saying its bad to do that, but that doesn't make the person better than someone that has spent all of their life working with people.

It might make them more "text book" smart, but also make them less "street smart".

That guy that has worked in the fields with people from almost every background possible would be able to make decisions that will affect all of them equally and not cause anyone to lose a job or their home.

That is why I liked Herman. Might not have been very diverse, but still better than book smart. Also, George Washington once said something about politics shouldn't become a career. Wonder what he would think today with some colleges dedicated to pure politics. 

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png

whereas Obama still wants to overrule the gop whenever they disagree with him...

Which is almost 100% of the time. You can't negotiate with people who will, by their very nature, not compromise on their policy demands.

Just about every time there has been bipartisan negotiation between the GOP and the Dems since Obama took office, it has been marked by intransigent Republicans refusing to give even the slightest ground and Dems willing to make cuts to their own policy favourites (social security chief among them).

Herman Cain would have been pretty good...

Well, in my european eyes, Republicans are hated for their anti-social-security policies mostly.... there's a saying round here: "Better an end with scare than a scare without end"... what to say, there's a pretty good book about this --> http://images.businessweek.com/mz/11/10/1110_mz_49meekerusainc.pdf 

from that perspective it looks like if Republicans are (partially/mostly) right about the social security and obamacare and so... with the "democratic" way I think it'd rather be a scare without end...

There shouldn't be any prerequisites for becoming President. Doing so would just make our "Democracy" less Democratic than it already is.

Also, LOL at making it sound like the Democrats are the ones trying reach compromise. The fact of the matter is, they both hate each other. Both of them are unwilling to compromise. Maybe if Democrats wouldn't try to force bills aimed at the Republican's core beliefs they wouldn't despise anything with a Democrat's signature on it. Maybe it's the other way around. I don't know and to be honest I really don't care.

"To say that nothing is true is to realise that the foundations of society are fragile and that we must the shepherds of our own civilization. To say that everything is permitted is to understand that we are the architects of our actions and that we must live with our consequences, whether glorious or tragic."

Maybe if Democrats wouldn't try to force bills aimed at the Republican's core beliefs

When your core beliefs are "give more money to the rich" and "!@#$ the poor, they're lazy parasites", I don't give a !@#$ what you think.

Can't Stop The Signal.

Maybe if Democrats wouldn't try to force bills aimed at the Republican's core beliefs

When your core beliefs are "give more money to the rich" and "!@#$ the poor, they're lazy parasites", I don't give a !@#$ what you think.

But, you also have poor people that don't work because they are lazy, not because they can't.

YOU ARE A PIRATE!

But, you also have poor people that don't work because they are lazy, not because they can't.

You've never been poor, have you?

Being poor itself, even if you have enough of a welfare payment to cover your basic expenses, is more than enough motivation to get a job and better your financial status. However, jobs don't just grow on trees and even when jobs are available, it doesn't mean people have had the opportunity to gain the experience and/or qualifications that the employers are seeking.

Can't Stop The Signal.

I was going to post something about welfare and such but realized it was off topic. Anyways, anything that limits the people who can run for PUTUS is a bad idea in general. Politics is already an exclusive club and limiting anyone (except foreigners) is a bad idea in my mind.

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

If you actually think laziness/"welfare queens" are a serious issue you are thoroughly out of touch and ignorant on the question of social services. Do they exist? Yeah, I'm sure they do when you're talking about tens and hundreds of millions of people in a given country. Are they a serious factor in the question at hand? No, they're not.

solidaritysig.png

Acting Chairman of Solidarity

If you actually think laziness/"welfare queens" are a serious issue you are thoroughly out of touch and ignorant on the question of social services. Do they exist? Yeah, I'm sure they do when you're talking about tens and hundreds of millions of people in a given country. Are they a serious factor in the question at hand? No, they're not.

But they do exist and that is all that I have been trying to say. Thank you for proving my point.

YOU ARE A PIRATE!

But they do exist and that is all that I have been trying to say. Thank you for proving my point.

And your solution is to punish everyone who needs welfare to put a roof over their head, to put food on the table and clothes on their backs.

Congratulations, you're a sociopathic bastard!

Can't Stop The Signal.

And your solution is to punish everyone who needs welfare to put a roof over their head, to put food on the table and clothes on their backs.

Congratulations, you're a sociopathic bastard!

I'm not saying we punish them. I am only saying that they exist.

YOU ARE A PIRATE!

Archived