Public Works

Pax

So, right now we have two types of 'improvements'. One is actual improvements, available 1 per 50 infrastructure in a city, and they directly affect the city. The other are National Projects, and they're government-mandated things that provide direct benefits to the government alone.

I suggest something like Public Works, Public Services, etc. that are national government productions that provide some benefits to the citizens, and some tradeoffs at a midrange cost between Improvements and Projects. They won't be tied to infra amounts, but can be detrimental in some ways and are situationally effective. Upon destruction, you get no refund - you can build the service again, but it'll cost you again.

Example:

Public Service: National Transportation

Small description: Provides free transportation to your citizens, reducing the need for pollution-producing vehicles but increasing power needs

Project effect: Reduces pollution by 150 in each city, but cities require 20% more resources to maintain power.

Resource cost:

aluminum.png500
steel.png500
gasoline.png500

Cash cost:

money.png$2,000,000

Public Service: Public Universities

Small description: Provides improved education to your citizens, increasing your ability to produce materials but at a high cost.

Project effect: Improves resource production by 15%, reduces income by 15%.

Resource cost:

steel.png500

Cash cost:

money.png$3,000,000

Public Service: Welfare System

Small description: Allows your poorer citizens and large families to cope better, increasing population growth

Project effect: Increases your population growth by 50%, but citizens require 25% more food per turn.

Resource cost:

steak_meat.png 3,000

Cash cost:

money.png$2,500,000

Public Service: Veteran Benefits

Small description: Provides your military veterans with proper retirement, convincing more people to join your military but with high costs

Project effect: Increases unit capacities by 15%, reduces citizen income by 10%.

Cash cost:

money.png$3,000,000

Obviously there's a lot of things that can be done with this, but it could be interesting to see the different methods nations take towards growing. 

TL;DR: They're like Projects, but they aren't as good and you don't need to have ridiculous amounts of infra for them.

Edited by Pax
  • Upvote 5

<+JohnHarms> We need more feminists

• Administrators

I like this idea, especially that this wouldn't require tangible things. They could even be more like government policies, where you enact something and it costs X and provides Y, which would be situational depending on your nation.

That would add a great new element to the game, getting to decide things like Welfare Programs, Food Assistance, Veteran Benefits, Free Higher Education, Transportation Systems, Universal Basic Income, Universal Healthcare, etc. You could even throw in non economic related things, like "Gun Control" that might have some varying effect on crime based on your nation size, etc.

• Upvote 2

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

Exactly what I was thinking of. I considered making them government policies or something, but the problem I had with that was that costs couldn't be attached to a policy, so there would be no deterrent from just using the "right" policy for the time 24/7 rather than doing what works best in your opinion and situation.

For example, people would change to all military focused policies the second they got into war, and change back after war, with no consequence. When you associate a cost to changing that policy / making it a service, it actually makes things pretty interesting.

• Upvote 1

Also 

You could even throw in non economic related things, like "Gun Control" that might have some varying effect on crime based on your nation size, etc.

That could actually work with this idea from harminator: http://politicsandwar.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5721-arming-your-populance/

• Upvote 1

Seems interesting. Hope it pans out without too much trouble.

x0H0NxD.jpg?1

01:05:55 <%fistofdoom> im out of wine

01:06:03 <%fistofdoom> i winsih i had port
01:06:39 <@JoshF{BoC}> fistofdoom: is the snowman drunk with you

01:07:32 <%fistofdoom> i knet i forgot somehnt

Public Service: National Transportation

Small description: Provides free transportation to your citizens, reducing the need for pollution-producing vehicles but increasing power needs

Project effect: Reduces pollution by 150 in each city, but cities require 20% more resources to maintain power.

Right now do we have pollution from vehicles? How can this project reduce 150 pollution points in each city?

Edited by Oppilan

Right now do we have pollution from vehicles? How can this project reduce 150 pollution points in each city?

The idea behind that one was in-character, meaning citizens that drive gas-guzzling trucks, etc. would now ride a bus, metro, or other form of public transport.

I wasn't sure exactly how much pollution to suggest removing - I didn't want to reduce a tiny amount and essentially just make it into a national recycling center rehash. I eventually ended up just aiming high to see how that went. 

Edited by Pax

The idea behind that one was in-character, meaning citizens that drive gas-guzzling trucks, etc. would now ride a bus, metro, or other form of public transport.

I wasn't sure exactly how much pollution to suggest removing - I didn't want to reduce a tiny amount and essentially just make it into a national recycling center rehash. I eventually ended up just aiming high to see how that went. 

I like all other projects except National Transportation. May be sheepy can add pollution (dependent on population), which can be reduced with this project.