Global War on Terror: Is/Was it Worth it?

elsuper

But what are the implications of this to the question in the OP? 

Edit: And where's our basic psy-ops/propaganda to inform the people of Afghanistan of our reasons for being there? Seems like a basic step toward "winning hearts and minds," even if some think it's all lies, at least some will believe it.

Nothing, really. I just wanted to get more posts. I was just enlightening Americans that we need to enlighten Afghans. 

Exactly. 

It may be true that many Afghans are ignorant of the World Trade Center bombing, but you do realize what the Daily Mail is like, don't you? Did you see the story at the top about how the "killer co-pilot" drugged the captain's coffee with a diuretic to make him pee! It's about as reliable as the National Enquirer.

Oh, I've never even heard of Daily Mail. Now that I look at it, it is as reliable as Alex Jones. 

B2wh8U9.png?1

daily mail is disgusting bourgeoisie propaganda and should never be used as a source of infomation.

See above

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png

As far as oil goes, I've cited it before, but Afghanistan has miniscule oil reserves (source: US Geological Survey), and oil imports from Iraq hit their all-time peak before the invasion, and have never come close since, in fact trending downward. (Source: U.S. Energy Information Administration). If we invaded "for oil," we did a really crappy job of it, because we were getting more oil from them before the war.

The military-industrial complex argument is a bit more compelling, but as a special-interest motivation, not a national-interest one.

It's not for the oil in Afghanistan. It's for the pipeline through Afghanistan, which avoids use of Russian pipelines and pipelines through Iran. But, we still can't control the Pakistani border and that's the region the proposed pipeline would go through.

Let's not forget the minerals:

Afghanistan has over 1400 mineral fields, containing baritechromitecoalcoppergoldiron oreleadnatural gaspetroleumprecious and semi-precious stonessaltsulfurtalczinc among many other minerals. Gemstones include high-quality emeraldlapis lazulired garnet and ruby. It is believed that among other things the country holds $3 trillion in untapped mineral deposits.[1] In December 2013, President Karzai claimed the mineral deposits are actually worth $30 trillion.[2]

http://www.livescience.com/47682-rare-earth-minerals-found-under-afghanistan.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/14/world/asia/14minerals.html?_r=0 

orwell_s_1984_oceania_s_currency_by_dungsc127_d97k1zt-fullview.jpg.9994c8f495b96849443aa0defa8730be.jpg