Cold War still in existance in our modern world?

Franz Von Dietrich

I believe it is still happening, believe it or not. As you can see, you can still see Russian and American proxies, just not as big anymore. Such as; America arming the Syrian Rebels, while Russia supplies the Syrian Government. But to me, I see Russia isn't in the picture. It's more like a Chinese-American Cold war, just not as pragamistic.

• Upvote 2

Well no one can deny that there is geopolitical friction between the US and Russia, but the question is whether we want to label it as a continuation of the Cold War. I don't think we should, as it cheapens the meaning of the term.

Russia's only meaningful strategic asset is their nukes; they fail utterly in every other category to match up to NATO, even moreso today than in the Cold War, except maybe number of tanks, and, in the end, they would not be able to get away with what they've been doing were it not for Putin's finger on the big red button. This was also true to an extent for the Soviets during the Cold War. But I think Desert Storm (yes, way back then!) should have demonstrated the limitations of armor in the era of guided munitions.

Also, ideology plays essentially no role in the current conflict, not even rhetorically, it's all great-power interests. At least in the Cold War you had rhetoric about the evils of Capitalism or Communism, now you just have incoherent consumer-driven conspiracy ramblings from RT and Fox News.

Edited by elsuper

hxvRjGK.jpg

to compare the capialism of putin's russia to the glorious soviot union under comrade stalin, great man he was, is insulting.

there will be no cold war 2. the current conflicts we see are just the capialists starting fake conflicts up to feed the military industrial complex, giving the bourgeoisie cash and making the pigs fat on exploited cash.

if we had communism, none of the violence of conflict we see now would happen. we would all be equal under the state.

Edited by Comrade Pol Pot

If we had communism,  we wouldn't be playing a capitalist game and both are filled with corrupted politicians. At least in capitalism, you can have fun. No one is happy for long with communism. Same exists with fascism and capitalism. 

If we had communism,  we wouldn't be playing a capitalist game and both are filled with corrupted politicians. At least in capitalism, you can have fun. No one is happy for long with communism. Same exists with fascism and capitalism. 

alright

so you think this is a capitalist game, i think this is an intresting idea.

sheepy only has donations to keep the game alive, that is quite obvious...he could get a lot more money if it was pay to win. sheepy made this game to give a good game to people out of his own kindess. to call it capitalist is silly. sheepy is most likely a communist and serves the community around him through his games, the fact he supports anti fascism here makes it even more likely that he is.

sheepy helps people and makes them happy and doesn't ask for money other then wanting it to keep the server running. this is a communist game, not a capitalist game.

212991502a1408032304b201960077ml.jpg

use more critical thinking skills please

x0H0NxD.jpg?1

01:05:55 <%fistofdoom> im out of wine

01:06:03 <%fistofdoom> i winsih i had port
01:06:39 <@JoshF{BoC}> fistofdoom: is the snowman drunk with you

01:07:32 <%fistofdoom> i knet i forgot somehnt

use more critical thinking skills please

what?

a game that isn't to make money but to make people happy is capitalist? a non profit game is capitalist? a game made to have fun is capitalist???

Nelson_Ha-Ha.jpg

The China-US rivalry is definitely happening. If you've been paying attention to political developments in the Asia Pacific (Southeast Asia in particular), you'll particularly notice that the US is investing a lot of military resources on the region with the aim of stopping China from gaining a permanent geo-strategic foothold there. Another "containment" strategy if you'd like to call it.

Russia on the other hand, though still a crucial actor, has become less relevant in the light of this rivalry, no longer serving a main role but a complementary one. Here's an interesting read:

http://thediplomat.com/2015/04/ukraine-and-the-russia-china-axis/

aphelion3_zpsonpnqy10.png

The Cold War is over. What goes on in the world today is just modern day realist politics that have become the norm for international relations between nation states.

Realism is a tradition of international theory centered upon four propositions.[3]

1. The international system is anarchic.
    • There is no actor above states capable of regulating their interactions; states must arrive at relations with other states on their own, rather than it being dictated to them by some higher controlling entity.
    • The international system exists in a state of constant antagonism (see international anarchy).
  2. States are the most important actors.
  3. All states within the system are unitary, rational actors
    • States tend to pursue self-interest.
    • Groups strive to attain as many resources as possible (see relative gain).
  4. The primary concern of all states is survival.

Power politics should get a mention too:

Power politics is essentially a way of understanding the world of international relations: nations compete for the world's resources and it is to a nation's advantage to be manifestly able to harm others. It prioritizes national self-interest over the interest of other nations or the international community.

Techniques of power politics include, but are not limited to, conspicuous nuclear development, pre-emptive strikeblackmail, the massing of military units on a border, the imposition of tariffs or economic sanctionsbait and bleed and bloodletting, hard and soft balancingbuck passingcovert operationsshock and awe and asymmetric warfare.

orwell_s_1984_oceania_s_currency_by_dungsc127_d97k1zt-fullview.jpg.9994c8f495b96849443aa0defa8730be.jpg