post scarcity distribution

SoS

For the sake of debate imagine a future where technology has eliminated scarcity and also human labor. How would/should unlimited goods and services be owned and distributed?

I think it would make a command economy necessary.

Communism.

Fox_Fire_Txt2.png

<Jroc> I heard \ is an anagram of cocaine
<\> I can't be rearranged into a line, I already am a line.

--Foxburo Wiki--

I think it would make the system of distribution irrelevant, because by definition all needs would be met no matter what.

This ^

When you live in a society with no needs then distribution becomes an irrelevant phenomenon. Everyone becomes self sustained and thus there is no need for any form of system at all to regulate that which is not needed. 

rsz_1g7q_ak91409798280.jpg

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a roll.

There is one you will follow. One who is the shining star, and he will lead you to beautiful places in the search of his own vanity. And when there is no more vanity to be found, he will leave you in darkness, as a fading memory of his own creation.

This ^

When you live in a society with no needs then distribution becomes an irrelevant phenomenon. Everyone becomes self sustained and thus there is no need for any form of system at all to regulate that which is not needed. 

In theory I agree. However, human nature has taught us that it's an innate tendency to always want more. This in turn will lead to a cyclic centralization of resources with a few elite and a system will need to emerge to regulate such centralization.

I believe that communism would be idealistically the most efficient, however as we know with the USSR, corruption, the want of personal gain would make it impossible, unless we take out the human error. Then, at what point are we making machines our overlords?

Resident DJ @ Club Orbis

Founder of The Warehouse

I believe that communism would be idealistically the most efficient, however as we know with the USSR, corruption, the want of personal gain would make it impossible, unless we take out the human error. Then, at what point are we making machines our overlords?

SAI-40 2016.

hxvRjGK.jpg

In theory I agree. However, human nature has taught us that it's an innate tendency to always want more. This in turn will lead to a cyclic centralization of resources with a few elite and a system will need to emerge to regulate such centralization.

That's one problem that'd make a system necessary. Realistically, supply would still be finite. Even with a Star Trek replicator, the replicators would be finite and a dick could monopolize them. Even if only temporarily, supply could be monopolzed without a system.

"There's enough for everyone's need, not greed". The system would have to go off that maxim.

The other problem is everything is currently owned. How would we go from this to an economy where there is no exchange of property?

• Upvote 1

That purely depends on how you go about achieving communism. Theres a reason why Marxism is separate from Anarchist Communism, even though they both have the exact same goal.

I don't see this becoming reality, seems more like a dream

First intelligent post I've seen from you.

I think it would make the system of distribution irrelevant, because by definition all needs would be met no matter what.

Shhhh.... Skynet might hear you.

Fox_Fire_Txt2.png

--Foxburo Wiki--

That's one problem that'd make a system necessary. Realistically, supply would still be finite. Even with a Star Trek replicator, the replicators would be finite and a !@#$ could monopolize them. Even if only temporarily, supply could be monopolzed without a system.

"There's enough for everyone's need, not greed". The system would have to go off that maxim.

The other problem is everything is currently owned. How would we go from this to an economy where there is no exchange of property?

There isn't even enough for everyones need, assuming the global population keeps skyrocketing.

Fox_Fire_Txt2.png

--Foxburo Wiki--

There isn't even enough for everyones need, assuming the global population keeps skyrocketing.

That's why the scenario is hypothetical. Also, there wasn't enough food for population growth throughout human history. We kept improving technology and vastly expanding production.

That's why the scenario is hypothetical. Also, there wasn't enough food for population growth throughout human history. We kept improving technology and vastly expanding production.

And in the end, we rape the finite planet.

The problem with modern society is that we keep expecting constant growth of everything without realizing the undeniably finite limits of our world.

Fox_Fire_Txt2.png

--Foxburo Wiki--

I looked up "command economy" and got this:

command-economy-source.jpg

So my guess is that by unlimited goods and services you mean a future where supply matches or is in excess of the demand on all or nearly all fronts and keeps pace with it too.

There would be a need for a highly intelligent/competent administrative force making sure that all the industries are kept supplied, up to date, and running efficiently.

The debate I think is about what kind of administrative force could potentially be.

The answer is obviously Jesus.  :wub:

x0H0NxD.jpg?1

01:05:55 <%fistofdoom> im out of wine

01:06:03 <%fistofdoom> i winsih i had port
01:06:39 <@JoshF{BoC}> fistofdoom: is the snowman drunk with you

01:07:32 <%fistofdoom> i knet i forgot somehnt

I looked up "command economy" and got this:

command-economy-source.jpg

So my guess is that by unlimited goods and services you mean a future where supply matches or is in excess of the demand on all or nearly all fronts and keeps pace with it too.

There would be a need for a highly intelligent/competent administrative force making sure that all the industries are kept supplied, up to date, and running efficiently.

The debate I think is about what kind of administrative force could potentially be.

The answer is obviously Jesus.  :wub:

What's the need for a government/adminisrative system, if everyone is bascially self-substained?

I'm working on getting a self-sustainable internet connection but I haven't quite got there yet.

The topic of this debate is basically stating everyone is self-stubstainable; therefore there's no need of any government to help regulate the suppose "tech" But, I don't see this becoming realilty, as I've said.

What's the need for a government/adminisrative system, if everyone is bascially self-substained?

maintenance? I think its a question of who supplies the suppliers etc.

If you're making the assumption that if all needs are met then all the process is also automated, then I get what you're saying.

x0H0NxD.jpg?1

01:05:55 <%fistofdoom> im out of wine

01:06:03 <%fistofdoom> i winsih i had port
01:06:39 <@JoshF{BoC}> fistofdoom: is the snowman drunk with you

01:07:32 <%fistofdoom> i knet i forgot somehnt