Tyranny of Riches; Spies.

ooohu

The Problem

I've noticed an issue I have with the spy system. Currently the spy system discourages smaller nations from building a large number of spies past a certain level as it then becomes too costly to use them. Which means that nations trying to build up their number of spies for offensive or defensive purposes have a disincentive to do so. This can easily be mended and if done would mean nations would have a reason to invest into their spies beyond being a costly passive defense force.

The Numbers

Currently spies cost 50k each and no matter what operation I choose to issue the cost per spy remains the same in relation to the number sent. Using the most basic example a quick and dirty gather intel operation costs 10k per spy sent. So if I have 5 spies and I issue that same mission it'll cost me 50k to perform at the most basic level.

The Analysis

As it stands currently, nations are punished for having the foresight to invest in spies. Because past 5 spies every single operation you take will cost you more then it would to buy a spy and past 10 spies, operations cost more then two spies... and beyond that it continues to scale in cost. Therefore nations are discouraged from growing their spy agencies for the sheer economic cost of having to actually utilize them; becoming nothing more then a bonfire of cash to light. For larger nations this might not be an issue but considering that nations can spy on anyone regardless of size this leads to a tyranny of riches that allows only the largest nations to properly utilize spies. Put more succinctly, larger nations are not effected too much by this system but smaller nations are actively penalized from investing in spy defenses leading to a system that allows them no defenses against larger nations seeking to issue spy attacks against them as seen by BoC's recent troubles. 

The Solution

What I propose is simple, allow nations to specify the number of spies sent out on operations. So as to allow individuals the option to send exactly the amount needed to get the job done. There is no reason why a nation should send out 100 spies at the cheapest operational cost of 1mil to spy on a nation that has zero spies when 1 spy on an operational cost of 10k will do the job. Then smaller nations will have a reason to invest in their spy force and by doing so will be able to bolster their own defenses as they will not be encumbered by having 20 spies on hand as it will not cost them 200k to actually use on less prepared nations. Will this end the ability of larger nations to dominate smaller ones in spying? Of course not. Should a system be in place that offers complete parity between nations? No. But by doing this slight change it will at the very least enable nations a reason to use their spies.

Edit: This already exists. I didn't realize it but this egg dripping on my face does a good job of it lol

Edited by Thulium
  • Upvote 2

I think we are already allowed to determined the number of spies that we want to send for those assignments even now. You just need to key it in and the odds changes of course , the lower number you sent the less chance of success which is obviously fair.

• Upvote 2

...so its a way of reducing costs for those who have a huge amount of spies?

x0H0NxD.jpg?1

01:05:55 <%fistofdoom> im out of wine

01:06:03 <%fistofdoom> i winsih i had port
01:06:39 <@JoshF{BoC}> fistofdoom: is the snowman drunk with you

01:07:32 <%fistofdoom> i knet i forgot somehnt

I think we are already allowed to determined the number of spies that we want to send for those assignments even now. You just need to key it in and the odds changes of course , the lower number you sent the less chance of success which is obviously fair.

Today I learned I am a retard. Thanks for pointing this out Vincent!

...so its a way of reducing costs for those who have a huge amount of spies?

The cost is negligible to huge nations, it's huge for smaller one. In any case Vincent was correct and this is already in place but I didn't realize it.