[Forum Suggestion] Link forum accounts dynamically with nation id

Majima Goro

Over the course of many years, the biggest problem we have had on the forum is mismatching nation/leader names. These could be due to various factors like changing names in-game, trying to keep a different name on forums, etc.

The suggestion is simple: Link the game nations with the forum account dynamically so that updates to in-game names is reflected directly on the forums. 

How it would work: Since a lot of people already exist on the forums, the implementation would need to be in two steps
#1: For existing accounts: Most existing accounts already have their nation ids stored on the forums. A script can be written to send all these nations a message in-game which would contain an activation link to permanently link their forum accounts with their nations. 

#2: For new accounts: During registration, a nation link/id would need to be provided. A message will be sent in-game to activate the account. 

A special case for returning players: If someone rerolls with a new nation, they would have the option to re-link their nations with the forum account. A reasonable limit/time limit may be imposed between changes.

Benefits: A dynamic link would reduce forum reports for mismatching names. It would also be next to impossible to impersonate people on the forums. From a statistical perspective, players would be able to grasp better the trends of people from various alliances/spheres. Ghost accounts to rig polls can also be more easily caught. It can also serve as a safeguard to tracking multis if the activation link is IP limited, i.e, only 1 message/IP can be sent.

Conclusion: Please implement this change so I don't have to manually change my nation name. kthxbye

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Majima Goro said:

Over the course of many years, the biggest problem we have had on the forum is mismatching nation/leader names. These could be due to various factors like changing names in-game, trying to keep a different name on forums, etc.

The suggestion is simple: Link the game nations with the forum account dynamically so that updates to in-game names is reflected directly on the forums. 

How it would work: Since a lot of people already exist on the forums, the implementation would need to be in two steps
#1: For existing accounts: Most existing accounts already have their nation ids stored on the forums. A script can be written to send all these nations a message in-game which would contain an activation link to permanently link their forum accounts with their nations. 

#2: For new accounts: During registration, a nation link/id would need to be provided. A message will be sent in-game to activate the account. 

A special case for returning players: If someone rerolls with a new nation, they would have the option to re-link their nations with the forum account. A reasonable limit/time limit may be imposed between changes.

Benefits: A dynamic link would reduce forum reports for mismatching names. It would also be next to impossible to impersonate people on the forums. From a statistical perspective, players would be able to grasp better the trends of people from various alliances/spheres. Ghost accounts to rig polls can also be more easily caught. It can also serve as a safeguard to tracking multis if the activation link is IP limited, i.e, only 1 message/IP can be sent.

Conclusion: Please implement this change so I don't have to manually change my nation name. kthxbye

Implement what NS has. Your Forum Account IS your nation account, The forum is in the game itself, so everything is linked and dynamic.

• Upvote 2

Screenshot_20240324_192453_650x175.webp.371a50f212b24d8a1b47b600fff6903f.webp
Hammer Councillor of The Lost Mines
Diety Emeritus of The Immortals, Patres Conscripti (President Emeritus) of the Independent Republic of Orange Nations, Lieutenant Emeritus of Black Skies, Imperator Emeritus of the Valyrian Freehold, Imperator Emeritus of the Divine Phoenix, Prefect Emeritus of Carthago, Regent Emeritus of the New Polar Order, Coal Duke (Imperator Emeritus) of The Coal Mines

2 hours ago, JadenStar10 said:

Implement what NS has. Your Forum Account IS your nation account, The forum is in the game itself, so everything is linked and dynamic.

I don't know if that's possible but that would indeed be pretty awesome, for a multitude of reasons. Would theoretically also have a side benefit of making the forums more accessible to players, especially new ones.

Edited by Adrienne
  • Upvote 2

BrOQBND.jpg