Multiple "Fortify" options

Reda

I think we all agree that Fortify is almost useless the way it is now. Fortifying can be considered the same as surrendering in most cases.

I suggest implementing multiple fortification options that could create an interesting complexity to war mechanics and a better balance between attack and defense.

Here are some initial ideas:

- Reduce looting by 10% (3 MAPs; cumulative up to 100%; reduce enemy looting efficiency)

- Increase looting by 10% (3 MAPs; cumulative up to 100%; increase your looting efficiency)

- Reduce enemy ground, navy OR air efficiency by 10% (3 MAPs; cumulative up to 100%; your enemy would make 10% less damage)

- Increase ground, navy OR air efficiency by 10% (3 MAPs; cumulative up to 100%; your military would make 10% more damage)

- Block your enemy fortifications (6 MAPs) - a bit radical but it's an idea

- Reduce your enemy MAPs by 1 (3 MAPs)

- Increase resistance by 5 (3 MAPs)

- Increase or Reduce resistance loss made by ground, navy or air attacks by 1 for every future attack (3 MAPs)

Other suggestions are welcomed!

• Upvote 4

I'd say that it's a stretch to call something like 'increase the effectiveness of your enemy by 10%' or 'increase your loot by 10%' as fortification... what you're describing are something more like tactical actions as opposed to attack actions.

I do like the ideas though, but they'd have to be comprehensively tested

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Micchan said:

Cumulative up to 100% is the part I don't like

I see what you mean, it could be 75%, 50% though... I think it would require some testing to know what works better.

In my opinion, 100% would be fair. To get to 100% it would take 30 MAPs... if you are Fortifying for 30MAPs your opponent could have made 7 Naval Attacks = 98 resistance. You improved something in 100% but you gave up winning the war, I think it's a fair trade.

For example: Reducing looting in 100% - you'd reach the 100% level only for the last attack, before that your opponent is still looting you at decreasing rates.

Or it could be a fixed percentage as well, but maybe more than 10%, could be like 25% for a one-time fortification.

Edited by Reda

The unfortunate thing is that we have very few ways of objectively testing these changes; test server runs at quadruple speed and doesn't include trade, baseball, or alliance banks, and that means it doesn't provide an accurate picture of how mechanics will work on main server.

On 3/30/2018 at 1:33 PM, Reda said:

I see what you mean, it could be 75%, 50% though... I think it would require some testing to know what works better.

In my opinion, 100% would be fair. To get to 100% it would take 30 MAPs... if you are Fortifying for 30MAPs your opponent could have made 7 Naval Attacks = 98 resistance. You improved something in 100% but you gave up winning the war, I think it's a fair trade.

For example: Reducing looting in 100% - you'd reach the 100% level only for the last attack, before that your opponent is still looting you at decreasing rates.

Or it could be a fixed percentage as well, but maybe more than 10%, could be like 25% for a one-time fortification.

Actually, in your example, 5 naval attacks 3 ground attacks costs 29 actions and kills 100 resistance, ending the war slightly before 100% is hit. However, this assumes immense triumphs across the board, so if someone has focused navy or ground exclusively then they could reliably fortify to 100%. The question is what does that exactly mean, does it mean that your opponent now cannot do any damage at all? Even if so, that's not as OP as it sounds, since being unable to do infra damage and being unable to cause casualties doesn't mean that they can't still do resistance damage.

9 hours ago, Sir Scarfalot said:

The unfortunate thing is that we have very few ways of objectively testing these changes; test server runs at quadruple speed and doesn't include trade, baseball, or alliance banks, and that means it doesn't provide an accurate picture of how mechanics will work on main server.

Damn, this

How I can test the fortify option if staying aways from the test server for 4 hours means having your army killed before you can do anything?

Why doing blockades if the enemy can't move his things anyway?