Deeply Divided Societies

Ikol

I live in Northern Ireland a place which is built around two competing communities. Although neutral zones and groups have appeared in the current bubble of peace, the scars of sectarianism and civil strive still show in social, political and economic forums. How would the PaW community deal with these issues? Is it truly a quagmire of inequality, fundamentalism and religious hate? Does consociationalism eventually break down community lines with a new generation growing up free from the burden of civil war? How comparable are places like NI to other deeply divided societies like Bosnia, SA, Israel, Lebanon, India and Sudan. Is ethnopolitics the new norm of diplomacy that dominates the third world?

Ikol, Proud member of Terminus Est.

Moderator of http://www.reddit.com/r/PoliticsandWar/

Short of mass brainwashing, there is unfortunately no silver-bullet solution to this problem.

It's one of those quirks of human nature that you have to work around.

• Upvote 1

There is no order and no meaning,

there is only the truth of The Signal.

The Signal ever transmits from here

to the eyes and ears of the 'verse.

Can't Stop The Signal.

I'd like to think that the newer generations would get along better, but it really depends how they're raised and the opinions of others that surround them as they grow up. More than likely some will and some won't. :( But I must say, I don't envy NI with the scars it has to bear from the troubles.

It was probably more comparable with the Israel-Palestine situation formerly, but now, from an outside perspective, it seems mostly over. So perhaps it's a bit like parts of the former Yugoslavia, where it's time to pick up the pieces and try to heal? To be honest, I don't know, but that's how it seems to me. Unfortunately, I'm not sure the religious hate will fully go away for quite some time, as much as the teachings include forgiveness, religious animosities rarely die down quick, if at all. I mean look at the Catholic-Orthodox schism, still not fully healed after more than a millennia. Seriously. :(

I'd like to think that the newer generations would get along better, but it really depends how they're raised and the opinions of others that surround them as they grow up. More than likely some will and some won't. :( But I must say, I don't envy NI with the scars it has to bear from the troubles.

Our politicians hoped that this generation would get along, but it can be seen in some communities that the absence of body bags of family members in the street makes people more willing to pick up sectarian causes not knowing its consequences. There is also the emergence of "siege" culture were a minority live in a holding surrounded by members of the other community, with the policy of peace walls this community is isolated and gradually becomes more radical in its outlook. TLDR: I have no idea what the future has in store.

Our politicians hoped that this generation would get along, but it can be seen in some communities that the absence of body bags of family members in the street makes people more willing to pick up sectarian causes not knowing its consequences. There is also the emergence of "siege" culture were a minority live in a holding surrounded by members of the other community, with the policy of peace walls this community is isolated and gradually becomes more radical in its outlook. TLDR: I have no idea what the future has in store.

Unfortunately, you're right. It's often true that humanity must learn the consequences of war before truly achieving peace.

There is no order and no meaning,

there is only the truth of The Signal.

The Signal ever transmits from here

to the eyes and ears of the 'verse.

Can't Stop The Signal.

It's one of those quirks of human nature that you have to work around.

I would add something, but forum rules. :( 

If I got my way that is not what I was thinking (contradicted myself), maybe have a little UN test... 

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png

Unfortunately, you're right. It's often true that humanity must learn the consequences of war before truly achieving peace.

Sadly I think you are, still I refuse to let these relics of conflict hijack my future and that of the other nice people who live here.

Violence, hate it or love it, is what really accomplishes change - for better or for worse. It sets everything in motion. Life is struggle of some form or another and it will always remain so because this is the nature of the western man. If we remain static, stagnant, then we are dying. We're creators, we're trailblazers, we're passionate, all more so than any other race. Liberalism, pacifism, over-tolerance, and so on are all foreign toxins to our minds. Pacifism will always remain an ideal, and a dream for those who have given up.

FN4ZiQL.png

"Zu jeder Zeit, an jedem Ort, bleibt das Tun de Menschen das gleiche."

"In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same."

frankly NI is nothing compared to Malaysia....at least in NI or other places , the government is trying their best to reduce an eliminate the divide between race and religion and promote unity.....i pray they succeed one day.....and as it is now...things look good....

But here in Malaysia, if u know where it is, IT IS the government that promotes discrimination against the people using race and religion issues...YET they are good in faking it in the eyes of international community....the government pretends to be good , moderate and etc....pretend as if they promote unity....but that's all for show only.....and so sad, UN, US and all the rest fell for their trap.....

Sad case....in other places be things can only get better, but here....things can only get from bad to worse as each hour passed by....if u still cant imagine how bad it is here....ask yourself which is the worse government ever u come across or heard of ? Multiply it by a trillion - that is what we have in Malaysia.

• 2 weeks later...

It was probably more comparable with the Israel-Palestine situation formerly, but now, from an outside perspective, it seems mostly over.

It is most certainly NOT over. Gaza is still controlled by Hamas, which dedicates its entire existence to destroying Israel. Also a large majority of the citizens within the West Bank are fed up with the PNA but do not have accesses to weapons and as such are unable to do anything. If they do get accesses to weapons it could end up with another Intifada. If any of you remember the second or first you will know that a third Intifada is not something to sneeze at. After the failed attempt at a two state solution with the PNA they would probably want nothing short of the complete and utter destruction of Israel and one side will likely have to surrender everything.

But anyways, situations like those in Palestine are a result of self-determination. The Palestinians do not want their land controlled by someone else while the Israelis feel that the land is theirs and it is their right to control it. Bloodshed is the only way out, in fact, Bloodshed is a way of life for mankind itself. Us or them, right and wrong, live or die. Humanity has nothing to fear but the horrors it itself creates.

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

Underlordgc, I was talking about Ireland, not Israel/Palestine (which I was using as a comparative).

Sorry. I re-read it and I can see  that I may have been hasty.

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win