Fixing the Nation IP rule

Moon Man

It has come to my attention that many people have had difficulties with the way that the rules are currently implemented in terms of the IP limit per nation. I currently go to one of the largest Universities in the United States, and I am typing from there right now. While I understand that colluding should be discouraged and reprimanded, I have a feeling that many people are unjustly having their nations deleted. In order to fix this, I would recommend the following.

1.) allowing a defense of playing in on the same IP as multiple people so long as they are not interfering with one another or any such thing. I know that there is a rule like this in place currently, but this only accounts for two people. I would say that allowing multiple people would be better. What is the problem if they are not working together anyways?

2.) checking the IP to see if said IP is from a college or University. If the IP is from a college or University, it is very likely that everyone there would be on the same IP address. Some people live on campus, and may want their friends to play as well. If you do not have a system like this up and running, than you would be alienating a large amount of potential users.

3.) Giving the accused a chance to prove their identity. If someone is accused of having a multi, put their accounts in a sort of limbo. If they can prove that they are two different people (ie: verify with a facebook account, other social media, skype, etc) than let them be.

These are just some thoughts, what do you think about this potential solution? If we continue being so aggressive with the IP rule, people will not want to get their friends to play the game.

• Upvote 2

My friends and I have been playing for almost a year and one day my nation was gone :P. I never got a warning so I would be very cautious with playing on any shared network.   

Sheepy is a nice guy and will allow me to restart though! He is very reasonable if you talk to him upfront, which is what I should have done.

Edited by BrocktimusPrime

• Administrators

I also attend a very large University, where we use IPv6 and have never had an issue. I'm also not the only person who uses the site and attends here, and I've never seen anyone here have issues either.

I wish there was a better fix, but it's a fine line between either letting people's "brother" or "dad" or "sister" or "girlfriend" have an account (when in reality the person just has a couple of nations) and (unfortunately) removing some real, active players that just wish to play from the same network, like a public network.

Honestly, there's not a good solution, and the rules as they're laid out are a bit of a compromise. Short of having you all verify your identities by uploading a picture of a government issued ID, or giving me a Credit Card that isn't associated with other accounts, etc. there's not much that can be done better.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

I also attend a very large University, where we use IPv6 and have never had an issue. I'm also not the only person who uses the site and attends here, and I've never seen anyone here have issues either.

I wish there was a better fix, but it's a fine line between either letting people's "brother" or "dad" or "sister" or "girlfriend" have an account (when in reality the person just has a couple of nations) and (unfortunately) removing some real, active players that just wish to play from the same network, like a public network.

Honestly, there's not a good solution, and the rules as they're laid out are a bit of a compromise. Short of having you all verify your identities by uploading a picture of a government issued ID, or giving me a Credit Card that isn't associated with other accounts, etc. there's not much that can be done better.

I understand that this is a particularly hard issue to address, but I would think that there has to be a better solution than what we currently have. I think that having a verification system for people who play on a university could be done by using a .edu email address. Have them use their school email for a one time verification process, but they could still keep their current email address for everything else. It would make it so that it would be more difficult to multi, while saving those who may play at a university that does not have IPv6 or whatever. I think that some general brainstorming is in order though

• Upvote 1

That would eliminate anyone using a school network, ever. And would dissuade people from getting friends to play for fear of playing on the same IP and getting banned.

It would also eliminate people who have a spouse/partner or room-mate if that other person finds PW without the other finding out.

I understand that this is a particularly hard issue to address, but I would think that there has to be a better solution than what we currently have. I think that having a verification system for people who play on a university could be done by using a .edu email address. Have them use their school email for a one time verification process, but they could still keep their current email address for everything else. It would make it so that it would be more difficult to multi, while saving those who may play at a university that does not have IPv6 or whatever. I think that some general brainstorming is in order though

This would actually work well for university's. The chances of someone getting multiple .edu email addresses is pretty low (i.e. they would have to switch universities) and even then the emails would all be similar if it was by the same person and could be banned quickly. 

• Upvote 1

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

This would actually work well for university's. The chances of someone getting multiple .edu email addresses is pretty low (i.e. they would have to switch universities) and even then the emails would all be similar if it was by the same person and could be banned quickly. 

Why dont we just do this then? If you are a kid playing at school, you are probably not supposed to be doing that anyways

It's not like PW is a game you can "play" for hours a day. At minimum you could log in once a day for 30 seconds to get free 50k, and then once every 5 days to change domestic policy and/or buy a new city (or project) and infra/improvements. That's something you can do at home, not something that's so desperate you need to do it at school/Uni.

Edited by Andrezj Kolarov

It's not like PW is a game you can "play" for hours a day. At minimum you could log in once a day for 30 seconds to get free 50k, and then once every 5 days to change domestic policy and/or buy a new city (or project) and infra/improvements. That's something you can do at home, not something that's so desperate you need to do it at school/Uni.

I was gonna point out how wars work, but then I saw the alliance.
  • Upvote 2

q8nfyvc.gif