What happens when global liabilities pass global assets?

Ogaden

For about 40 years now, money and debt are interchangeable concepts.  All money currently in circulation is created via debt, starting with commercial banks borrowing from central banks, then companies, individuals and other banks borrowing from commercial banks.

Historically the amount of money and the amount of debt in existence were trivial compared to the assets owned, but this has rapidly ceased to be the case.

World debt currently sits at $199 trillion dollars, the GDP of planet earth sits at around $80 trillion.  This is not sovereign debt, this is all debt, private, public, commercial, individual, etc.

The most recent valuation of all the assets on Earth sits at about $223 trillion.  We are coming up on a point in the next few years where Planet Earth will be underwater, but it's not like we can take out a new loan from the Martians, what happens then?

Can a planet declare bankrupcy?  If our financial system for the last 40 years ceases to function entirely, where do we go from there?  Revolution?  Bitcoin?  Gold Bullion?  Cannibalism?

The real fun is that despite all the assets in the world totalling only about $223 trillion, as many as $1.2 quadrillion in derivatives are leveraged against those assets :D

Edited by Ogaden
  • Upvote 1
tvPWtuA.gif

We need to build a wall. It will be a great wall.

The wall to Trump all other walls!

Edited by fistofdoom
  • Upvote 2

x0H0NxD.jpg?1

01:05:55 <%fistofdoom> im out of wine

01:06:03 <%fistofdoom> i winsih i had port
01:06:39 <@JoshF{BoC}> fistofdoom: is the snowman drunk with you

01:07:32 <%fistofdoom> i knet i forgot somehnt

Currency will implode, thousands of people will die from hunger and rioting. A new system will be setup and it too will devolve into corruption and implode long after we are dead, hopefully.

“I'm cheap and enjoy butchering” - Manthrax

The systems we have all adopted automatically require debt from the creation of our fiat currency.

Exactly. We must return to the Gold Standard and abolish interest/usury.

Signed by Sultan Moreau

UqIjjeQ.jpg