Some military suggestions

Phoenix447

Very brief outlines of some military suggestions I drafted up during the recent war.

War Declarations
Time zones in P&W are an issue when it comes to war; for instance someone in America declares war on someone in Britain, the person in Britain would be at a disadvantage since the American can attack immediately while they'll find out their nation has been attacked and typically unable to counter.

A possible solution to this is for the war to happen is when someone declares war on a nation they shouldn't be able to attack them until that nation logs in and receives a notification of a declaration of war.

Military + Defense Budget
Military Budget
The higher the budget, the better fighting the troops are.
Low– Inefficient troops, low quality weaponry and equipment, no advantage during war
Medium – Average trained troops, average quality weaponry and equipment, 4% advantage during war.
High – Highly trained troops, high quality weaponry and equipment, 8% advantage during war.

Defense Budget
The higher the budget, the higher the defensive advantage. 
Low – Limited defensive training, no advantage to nation defensive battles.
Medium – Average defensive training, 10% advantage during defensive battles.
High – High defensive training, 20% advantage during defensive battles.

New Unit Types
Helicopters
Helicopters are used for ground battles both offensively and defensively. Their main strengths are against soldier units, destroying infrastructure and improvements. Just like fighter jets, you can only build a certain amount of aircraft per day depending on how many air force bases you have. The key is to use them during offensive attacks against a large amount of soldiers. They require 1 ton of gasoline and 1 ton of munitions per 3 helicopters used in battle.

Manufacture cost: $3,500, 4 tons of aluminium
Strengths: Attacking soldiers, damaging infrastructure and destroying improvements.
Weaknesses: Tanks, other helicopters during defensive combat.
Upkeep: $400 peace, $800 war
Amount buildable: 6 per air force base. 

Submarines
Submarines are underwater vessels used to combat against ships and launch missiles. They are excellent at destroying enemy ships in battle and for targeting infrastructure and specific improvements with on-board missiles. However submarines are vulnerable to air craft and require protection by your air force. To operate a submarine 3 tons of gasoline and 3 tons of munitions are required per submarine used in combat. Decommissioning refunds 75% of resources but no money

Manufacture cost: $100,000, 30 tons of steel.
Strengths: Excellent against ships, can carry 2 missiles at a time and gain a 5% bonus against a nations iron dome.
Weaknesses: Vulnerable against helicopter and ship attacks, expensive to maintain
Upkeep: $4000 peace, $10,000 war
Amount buildable: 1 per dry dock

Military List Organisation
If these units are implemented into the game, it would be useful if the units were categorised under new menus in the military section.

Ground Forces – link to soldiers and tanks
Air force – link to fighter jets and helicopters
Maritime force – link to ships and submarines
Projectiles – link to missiles and nuclear weapons
Spies – link to spies
Spending budget- link to military budget and defense budget

Role-play Implements
Defcon System
On your nation information page is the defcon stage of your nation. This can be changed in your nation edit settings. Defcon does not affect your military in anyway but it will automatically be set to defcon 2 during war, and automatically to defcon 1 when nuclear weapons are used. A nation can chose between defcon 2-5. Defcon can be ignored all together.

Defcon 1 - nuclear war
Defcon 2- engaged in conflict / units at highest level of readiness / next step to nuclear war
Defcon 3- increased in force readiness above normal levels, ready to engage in combat
Defcon 4- increased state of readiness
Defcon 5- normal readiness / peace

Alliance Declarations of War
Just like for nations, alliances can declare war on each other. Only tier 1 members (leaders) can declare war on other alliances. Declaring war on an alliance will be visible under the conflicts section under a new sub-section named ‘Alliance Conflicts’. Declaring war on an alliance doesn't mean your nation gets forces into conflict. Alliance declaration of war automatically end after 10 days, in which both alliances cannot declare war on another alliance for 5 days.

National Project Edit
The Central Intelligence Agency has the new bonus of increasing your chance of commencing  a successful espionage against another nation by 10%.

It is a fair amount of suggestions and some basic concepts but they could work.
Edited by Kim Il Sung
  • Upvote 3

A possible solution to this is for the war to happen is when someone declares war on a nation they shouldn't be able to attack them until that nation logs in and receives a notification of a declaration of war.

But then the defender would be at an advantage.

• Upvote 1

putin-trump-sig_zps657urhx9.jpg

I don't like the time zone suggestion because what if when you declare war and the other person logs in are way apart as well? Then the defender could turn into the attacker being able to hit the one who declared. I do not support that suggestion.

For military budget, while it seems good, how much will this affect upkeep? You already have to pay upkeep and the more troops you have the better. Unless there is elaboration I don't see the point.

On New units, I don't see the point as more unit types just means the less you will use certain types of attacks. The whole military system would have to change a bit to accommodate more options, which are already large as it is.

Roleplay options are cool minus the limitations on alliance wars. They shouldn't expire after 10 days as wars may go past 10 days. Even though its a roleplay element I see no point in making limitations. 

• Upvote 1

I don't like the time zone suggestion because what if when you declare war and the other person logs in are way apart as well? Then the defender could turn into the attacker being able to hit the one who declared. I do not support that suggestion.

For military budget, while it seems good, how much will this affect upkeep? You already have to pay upkeep and the more troops you have the better. Unless there is elaboration I don't see the point.

On New units, I don't see the point as more unit types just means the less you will use certain types of attacks. The whole military system would have to change a bit to accommodate more options, which are already large as it is.

Roleplay options are cool minus the limitations on alliance wars. They shouldn't expire after 10 days as wars may go past 10 days. Even though its a roleplay element I see no point in making limitations. 

Fair point about the time zone, though what could also happen is that on the first day of war only 3 or 6 military points are available for the whole day, then after the 1st day the points system returns to normal. Along with this the player declaring war would be notified that the offline player may be in a different time zone and could effect the war.

Military budget I imagine that low would be current default upkeep for units; medium would be x1.25 or x1.50 of the default upkeep and high would be x1.75 or x2.00.

New units could be a nice feature to see, however I agree upon your statement.

Alliance wars I also agree to scrap the 10 days idea.

Edited by Kim Il Sung

The attacker is almost always going to have the advantage in battle. They don't knock on the defender's gate, wait for them to wake up and then attack. They hit at the most advantageous time for themselves, which can be the worst time for defenders.

If you really want to solve the issue, figure out a way to passively "defend" a nation, through improvements, projects and game mechanics.

City walls (project or improvement) that are manned by soldiers who are "home", up to some capacity. These soldiers are unavailable for offensive attacks. The walls would lower the rate at which soldiers are killed in defensive battles, a large amount from other soldiers, but increase the kills from tanks (due to the shells piercing the walls and exploding). Have an upgrade that reinforces the walls, negating the bonus to tank kills. Maybe another upgrade that puts turrets on the walls (manned or automated).

Bring in the concept of home forces and deployed forces. Deployed forces could have extra upkeep (to maintain supply line) and would be unable to defend until recalled (no earlier than the next turn after deployed).

Just some fodder for thought.

sig_cybernations.PNG.8d49a01423f488a0f1b846927f5acc7e.PNG