Add new improvements and projects based on in game time period

Dwemyrn

I would like to stress that Orbis is in the 90's and I'm sure that has been a lot of advancements in technology. I would like to ask the community to help add onto this what improvements or projects should be added into the game based on the current time period as we move forward technology advancements make sense and I feel the game should be adapting to that. 

Some ideas I have off top of my head but I leave subject to criticism are as follows:

Power Plant Ideas:

Add a Diesel Power plant option or even replace oil power plants

Add a power grid that is powered based on the amount of people within a city. The easy way to explain this, is this would be a citizens water and light bill and the citizens would pay to keep themselves powered and for the sake of arguments payments would always been on time, it would likes bring down revenue made but power the city through the people themselves.

Wood Furnace  Ideal power source for new nations

Resource Ideas:

Diesel Fuels in Recognition of my Diesel power plant idea.

Rubber - this will be explained on my military ideas

Wood-Logging. Logging would be used in a few different ways. It could be used to power a city, but would likely only power a small amount of infrastructure. It could be used to increase the number of people residing in cities which I will explain better further in the post.

Project Ideas:

• Military Base: Requirements I am unsure of but what it would do is bring down military cost by 5% sort of like being a statocracy government and in nod to civil engineering project which knocks 5% of infrastructure in similar fashion to a autocracy government. 

• Civilization Growth: This project would definitely require wood resource at least. What this would grow a population by creating homes for citizens to occupy, have an affect on commerce in 2 ways which would be from the increase in population and possibly attracting tourist to visit the nation. If this were to be implemented, on the revenue log, it should tell you how many new people are moving in per turn. With population increase hospitals and police station will become more of a necessity rather than just something to have when you have nothing else to spend your improvement slots on. This project could possibly be replaceable to International Trade Center and allow commerce to reach as high as 150% based on the residents happiness i.e. Resident Health, Crime Rates, etc the lower these are, the higher commerce can be.

Civil Ideas:

• Fire Department - Fire Department would basically complete the emergency service system i.e. hopsitals and police. Project would reduce disease (Fire Departments are usually in charge of the ambulance rides) and crime (Would help keep control of fire possibly caused by an arsonist) by 1%, Would also lower pollution by 15 points as the fire department can refresh the forest with controlled forest fires, also causing logging production to be risen slightly cost would probably be about $375,000, 5 tons of wood, 20 tons of steel and aluminum (Manufacture cost of the building and fire trucks in the station)
  • Mayor's Office: Would add an office for a mayor at the cost of $275,000 and 10 tons of wood. Having a mayor I would imagine help control chaos in a single city so lower crime rate and disease (Undermentioned amount), would add a little more politics to the game, which in turn I could also see slightly lowering infrastructure and a land cost (Also undetermined amount at this time)

Military Ideas:

• Barracks (re-envisioned) Would still hold soldiers, but would add a feature to produce jeeps. Jeep total would be something like 100 jeeps per barrack. 1 Jeep would =  the strengh of 10 soldiers or 1/4 the power of a tank. (4 door vehicle with a 5th person manning a turret, Would 10 soldier equivalent rather than 5 because it ables them to work slightly more efficient) Jeeps would use half the gas a tank would and the same amount of muntions. They would cost $10 which sounds weird to me but I am figuring the 4th of a cost of the tanks since they have a 4th of the power of a tank.

This is an idea in the works for right now, but I could see a lot of things here being added. Constructive Criticism to this would be greatly appreciated, as well as adding on to this, suggesting certain tweaks to certain ideas proposed and general input such as what year in game this would be added, etc,etc,etc.

• Upvote 2

:wub: -removed by thor- :wub:

Ehhh, makes me think of industrial era stuff. IDK if that kind of aspect would work well here.

Edited by fistofdoom
  • Upvote 1

x0H0NxD.jpg?1

01:05:55 <%fistofdoom> im out of wine

01:06:03 <%fistofdoom> i winsih i had port
01:06:39 <@JoshF{BoC}> fistofdoom: is the snowman drunk with you

01:07:32 <%fistofdoom> i knet i forgot somehnt

Absolutely. Thoughts on that?

Well, I'm not sure, since its a very limited time frame that we're working with in-game. I think some things will be relatively unknown if you wanted to be very realistic about irl invention/implementation time frames.

If you could come up with additional examples with specific dates that they'd be available, we could have a better idea of how much it'd add to the game to consider.

• Upvote 1

x0H0NxD.jpg?1

01:05:55 <%fistofdoom> im out of wine

01:06:03 <%fistofdoom> i winsih i had port
01:06:39 <@JoshF{BoC}> fistofdoom: is the snowman drunk with you

01:07:32 <%fistofdoom> i knet i forgot somehnt

Well, I'm not sure, since its a very limited time frame that we're working with in-game. I think some things will be relatively unknown if you wanted to be very realistic about irl invention/implementation time frames.

If you could come up with additional examples with specific dates that they'd be available, we could have a better idea of how much it'd add to the game to consider.

Absolutely agree. I think the best ones that would be ready to go right at the start would be adding jeeps to barracks. Also adding onto the civil ideas, I could see a civil improvement called housing which would make would resource be able to be added to the game just as soon as the jeeps and the houses, adding. Housing would increase the amount of people residing in the city, we can determine that number when it ready to be implemented. We can also add Wood Furnace Power plant, which I can see as the first power plant to be good for the environment and possibly remove 5 points of pollution. It would power probably 150 infrastructure and require 1 ton of wood per turn, logging would produce a little over 1 ton per turn.

Instead of jeeps I'd like to see artillery pieces and have the ground units work like rock/paper/scissors where soldiers are weak against tanks, tanks are weak against artillery, and artillery is weak against soldiers. 

Diesel fueled power plants don't make sense in-game. I just assumed oil power plants were natural gas power plants and "oil" was a broad term that encompassed all unrefined fluid fossil fuels. And why create diesel when you have gasoline?

Wood power plants don't seem to make much sense when you have wind turbine plants. 

Edited by Princess Bubblegum
  • Upvote 1

Instead of jeeps I'd like to see artillery pieces and have the ground units work like rock/paper/scissors where soldiers are weak against tanks, tanks are weak against artillery, and artillery is weak against soldiers. 

Jeeps are still a good idea, implementing artillery I would see as either adding sniper force or a rocket turret but I do agree with you on the artillery and in addition to the rock/paper/scissors action that would happen in war.

Diesel fueled power plants don't make sense. I just assumed oil power plants were natural gas power plants and "oil" was a broad term that encompassed all unrefined liquid fossil fuels.

Wood power plants don't seem to make much sense when you have wind turbine plants. 

Wood Power plants would be cheaper to make and wouldn't require the aluminum a turbine does, I see diesel as a either an extra addition and slightly cleaner oil alternative, or in general the same idea, but either replacing the oil resource, or improving the cleanliness of the oil already in game. Wood power plant would simply be an extra option because of logging, but wouldn't have to be a necessity to use.

Edited by Anus Beadus

You never explained what rubber does or why it's needed.

This project would definitely require wood resource at least. What this would grow a population by creating homes for citizens to occupy, have an affect on commerce in 2 ways which would be from the increase in population and possibly attracting tourist to visit the nation.

That seems unnecessary when there's already a mechanic of building infrastructure.

You never explained what rubber does or why it's needed.

That seems unnecessary when there's already a mechanic of building infrastructure.

Mostly suggested to improve the mechanic of populating a city. I spaced it but rubber would be used for the jeep vehicle production as well as I would see it being required for tanks as well, but like I said, the ideas suggested here I want people to work on, add onto or improve. That would include what rubber would be used for, and I appreciate the criticisms as well you've offered.

Wood Power plants would be cheaper to make and wouldn't require the aluminum a turbine does, I see diesel as a either an extra addition and slightly cleaner oil alternative, or in general the same idea, but either replacing the oil resource, or improving the cleanliness of the oil already in game. Wood power plant would simply be an extra option because of logging, but wouldn't have to be a necessity to use.

Replacing oil with diesel doesn't make sense. Oil is a raw resource, diesel is not. Diesel is unnecessary when gasoline already exists in-game. If you think oil is unbalanced relative to coal, then that should be addressed (imo, it's not though).

Why would we need wood power though? I just don't see the purpose other than make-work for sheepy. New nations are meant to use oil/coal due to the placement of natural resources by continent. Older nations are meant to use nuclear power or wind turbines. Creating a new power plant just seems superfluous. Not to mention wood power plants just seem like a technologically backwards thing to build given alternatives. 

• Upvote 2