Exchange notes printing project

Oppilan

With the recent addition of currency, I think it will be better if we can add some features to it.

(1) Exchange notes can be printed by a project. For example, printing 50 Euros require $50 (existing game currency).

(2) The value of exchange notes can be determined by the exports and imports nations do using that particular type of exchange note. Initially it can be 1:1 with the already existing currency.

(3) Exchange notes can be bought and sold between nations.

So if a nation (or a group of nations) doesn't produce anything, but rely on imports, the value of the currency they use will be lowered. If they export actively, the value will increase.

It is not necessary for each nations to create their own currency, they can buy it from those nations which can print them. When currencies are bought, their demand increases and so does their value. More the notes other nations buy from a printing nation and more they use it in market, the influence of that currency is increased.

The above feature makes embargoes more effective, since a nation which produces currency can prevent an enemy nation from using them and if they are successful in dominating the market, their embargo gets more powerful. It also makes market/financial control more challenging and necessary. Currency wars are also very interesting, in addition to the already existing Politics and War.

Please comment suggestions if any.

EDIT: Based on the discussion I think we can have common currency for an alliance, rather than for individual nations.

Edited by Oppilan
  • Upvote 1

What's with the bold italic underline :v

I seriously don't get the point of this suggestion, so only a nation with that project can print currencies, but you generally need them to... export and import? What do you get from a currency that has greater value? Like what's the difference between that and the current money.

Are you suggesting that we introduce a wholly new kind of tradeable resources into the market that each nation can introduce one of their own as long as they have bought a project?

UedhRvY.png

Though implementing it would probably be much too complicated for this game, I imagine it would work like real-world currencies, where nations can select their currency, either a sovereign currency or a collective one, where there is some source of the currency (eg a central bank) that can increase or decrease the amount of that currency in game. The currencies would rise and fall in respect to each other. Likewise the price of resources would fluctuate as well, so for a currency that is decreasing in value, the prices of goods would increase, whereas another nation that uses a different currency, one that's increasing in value, would see prices of resources decrease. The mechanics would also depend on if currency values were pegged to a standard "game currency" and rose and fell in relation to it, or if the game currency were replaced altogether with national currencies which would become relative only to one another (which would be far too much coding and too complicated, even if a cool idea).

• Upvote 1

I think its fine as a roleplay element and should be left alone. More important things to worry about than overcomplicating stuff

You can use it for role play. Right now I feel there is a bias agaist nations which are not heavily militarized (Militarized nations just imports resources from other nations, without producing anything), we have classic trade embargo, but not everyone will be willing to embargo a raider. Even with a solid embargo, I can just send my money to a third party and then get the products from them. But in this case, we give more power to economically strong nations.

I seriously don't get the point of this suggestion, so only a nation with that project can print currencies, but you generally need them to... export and import? What do you get from a currency that has greater value? Like what's the difference between that and the current money.

Are you suggesting that we introduce a wholly new kind of tradeable resources into the market that each nation can introduce one of their own as long as they have bought a project?

These currencies will be used along with the general currency. So those nations without a currency of their own can use general currency.

What do you get from a currency that has greater value? Economic strength is the answer.

In real world, people do trade currencies, nations stockpile/print currencies and control the liquidity/inflation, so trading money is not bad. I don't think every nation with more than 5000 infrastructure would print money, because this works the best only if one nation from an alliance (or even from a bloc) prints money and others buy from that nation. This way, when an alliance wants to embargo, the embargo is more efficient.

May be alliances can attract other nations if their currency value is significantly higher, because the printing nation can choose which nation gets their currency.

either a sovereign currency or a collective one, where there is some source of the currency (eg a central bank).

May be this idea of currencies work better if it can be built for one alliance, rather than for each nations. Like if they have several currencies within the alliance, the leader can choose an official currency.

The currencies would rise and fall in respect to each other. Likewise the price of resources would fluctuate as well, so for a currency that is decreasing in value, the prices of goods would increase, whereas another nation that uses a different currency, one that's increasing in value, would see prices of resources decrease. The mechanics would also depend on if currency values were pegged to a standard "game currency" and rose and fell in relation to it.

Yeah exactly. But I don't think it is possible to replace the original game currency at this point. Even now, the ratio of value of resources to the value of money rise and fall, but it is common for all. if we have different currencies, then for an alliance which doesn't produce anything but imports everything or may be that alliance imports heavily due to war will have a falling currencies, unless another alliances can help them.

Edited by Oppilan