Message Drafts

Mayor

This needs to be in pronto.

So many times I have been typing a message to be logged out and lose everything.

it is very annoying and I absolutely can't stand it.

If you had a way to save what you wrote in a draft so it is not lost would be great.

• Upvote 1

There's this handy thing that is on every computer called notepad or some such application. If you're spending an inordinate amount of time writing any sort of message, do it there first.

duskhornexceptional.png.d9e24adf7f0945530780eee694428f27.png

He's right, I'm such a stinker. Play my exceptional game!

I find that it happens quite quickly sometimes.

More so than on any-other site.

The only time I am logged off is when typing messages.

Also please don't recommend notepad. I'm not an idiot; that is on every computer.

This is for suggestions isn't it?

Is having a message draft not a suggestion?

Millions of other sites have them. I'm not demanding anything.

When I notice something that bothers me I let someone know rather than just keep it to myself.

So because you find it bothersome, and someone offers a work-around until/if what you're suggesting gets implemented, they're wrong? I didn't insinuate that you were an idiot. I simply pointed out an option that multiple people don't realize. Also, as pointed out in this thread here, the login/logout timer is two hours from when you login. So it can't be happening that often if you're talking about in-game. If you're talking about forums, then you can simply select the option to remain logged in. I haven't logged in to the forum in two weeks.

If you're consistently being logged out more often than that, then it is more likely something on your computer clearing your cookies at regular intervals.

Once again, not intending to be a jerk here, just pointing out that if it's one person in 2000 having this issue, it's not likely a site-wide issue and more often than not something else going on.

If you say that the log out is 2 hours for the main site then it has to be cookies or something with my browser because it only takes 20-30 minutes. 

Unless since when you log-in, so does it auto log you out at that time even if I am active and browsing the site?

Sorry, I guess I thought you were being sarcastic.

I obviously use notepad for long messages but the message system anyways is only like 3000 characters; I meant just normal talking to anyone. I can rewrite it but it has happened enough times to be bothersome.

On internet explorer I can't even log-in to this site at all so I maybe have to use firefox or something.

Yeah, my understanding from reading that thread is that it will log you out two hours from your login time. I thought it was activity related too but apparently I was wrong. If you're logging out every 20-30 minutes my guess is something is removing the cookie like an "internet security" program you have running thinking it's a tracking cookie.

Just going to voice my support for this. Also, this kind of message

There's this handy thing that is on every computer called notepad or some such application. If you're spending an inordinate amount of time writing any sort of message, do it there first.

Isn't really a neutral or non-aggressive way to say "While the feature would be convenient and remains to be implemented, I'd keep a text editor open to backup my message drafts". There are very few situations in which I've ever heard anyone say "There's this handy thing" where it hasn't been some sort of passive-aggressive dig at the person being replied to, and for something so obvious as keeping a text editor open there's really no reason to assume that Mayor hadn't thought of that before.

At any rate, I'm down with this suggestion since my PMs get deleted in this manner as well, security measures or otherwise. I used to be of rank in an alliance during Beta and when I needed to send urgent messages I encountered this problem with some frequency, with nothing on my browser other than Adblock. It's especially strange since the textboxes in P&W seem to be just regular textboxes, so they shouldn't have any fancy WYSIWYG editing or other scripted shenanigans going on to interfere with the text being saved when you navigate away.

Erin is correct. I believe it has something to do with the timed log-out personally; because it happens very quickly sometimes. I also have Adblock as well. It should be noted that before I type a message now, I log out and re-log in to the site before I write any message and so far and have had no issues. Increasing the log-out timer wouldn't solve anything, a more practical solution would be to make the log-out based on activity and not time or to overhaul the message system which would also be great since it is a bit clunky,