Allow Players to Hide Custom Nation Descriptions

Guest Zephyr

Problem: Some players are abusing the use of the custom nation description to create deliberately large nation descriptions. In some cases, members of Rose have designed tall images to disrupt the normal page flow making it annoying, tedious and more confusing when trying to quickly get to information on a nation page.

Solution: Introduce two new features allowing players to control viewing preferences of custom nation descriptions:

1. Hide custom nation descriptions by default
    Add an option to account settings allowing players to view nation pages with collapsed custom nation descriptions by default. This will be an especially useful toggle in wartime to allow players to ignore abusive image obstacles in custom nation descriptions and easily scroll to the information they're looking for.

2. Hide/Show custom nation description button
    At the top of each nation's custom nation description a toggle should be present to allow players to collapse annoying custom nation descriptions, or click to show it again. The game should remember which custom nation descriptions the player has chosen to hide and honour this for all future visits to that nation's page.

This feature could allow more leniency in the size of custom nation descriptions if players are able to easily hide abusively large nation descriptions, and may also reduce the need for moderation in this area. Abusive players' custom nation descriptions will be ignored, though the game experience and enjoyment will be improved for most players by empowering them with the tools to avoid obnoxious player content.

• Administrators

I just asked the dev to make this change before seeing your suggestion, so great minds think alike!

What I asked her to do was to create an overflow div for descriptions, so they are themselves scrollable but take up a max height of say, 500px. And also to create a setting on the account page to hide custom nation descriptions by default. If hidden, there will be a button available to show it if you'd like.

I'd expect this to be live by next week.

• Downvote 1

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

11 minutes ago, Alex said:

I just asked the dev to make this change before seeing your suggestion, so great minds think alike!

What I asked her to do was to create an overflow div for descriptions, so they are themselves scrollable but take up a max height of say, 500px. And also to create a setting on the account page to hide custom nation descriptions by default. If hidden, there will be a button available to show it if you'd like.

I'd expect this to be live by next week.

Can you clarify the bolded? You mean descriptions will be hidden by default, or the button toggled on would make such the default?

If the former; I would prefer nation descriptions be visible by default with the option to toggle them off, as I don't think excessively long nation descriptions are prevalent enough to warrant making them hidden by default. I know it's a minor thing, but people aren't likely to opt in for something of no tangible benefit (and thus, less people would see the efforts put forth by some nations into their descriptions), whereas people will still easily opt out if they deem nation descriptions as problematic or hindering.

Aside from that, the changes all sound good.

Edited by Hime-sama
  • Upvote 1

Look up to the sky above~

5 hours ago, Alex said:

In that case, can you also allow users to expand the div element to the viewport height so they have the option of fully appreciating larger images contained within the description as best their device permits?

The ability to collapse individual nations' description fields and remember this preference would also be great and allow more flexibility in how players approach these settings. For example there aren't currently many obnoxious custom nation descriptions, so I would prefer to keep descriptions on by default and optionally collapse specific offenders' descriptions.

I'm assuming these changes will enforce consistency in nation page flow moving forward, so I imagine once they're implemented the rules on custom nation descriptions can be revised to be more lenient on content size.