Thank you for destroying wars... (A Guilo Rant)

Alan

Part 1 - Change is not Good. Productive Change is Good.

As I heard about what could possibly be the end of current piracy Orbis I was dismayed I looked at the latest updates to the game and saw however glimmers of hope. Planes were no longer the "end all" units of the game. A balance had been found so that ground once again finds it's place as a dominant part of war strategy. Tanks now destroying aircraft and moving towards a more balanced style of game play was a change that, while some people thought was stupid and foolish, I found refreshingly necessary. However on my next declaring wars I found something horrifying. Soldiers had been infused with DNA of rhinos. Soldiers were no longer dying in the fives or tens of thousands. Instead they're now dying at maybe 2,000 per attack. I had to take a step back and re-evaluate why, for some strange reason, I was able to roll tanks with soldiers. Certainly this was an error in balancing and that, surely this would be changed in a hot fix. It was not and after the discussions on both discord servers and forums it looks like it never will.

Part 1 TL;DR - Soldiers are now Rhinos and won't die. Tanks are the new cannon fodder. Guilo angri boi.

Part 2 - You only get 900+ shots and you missed your chance to blow.

With everything coming into the game there is (or should) be hours of testing before implementing it live into the game. The Politics & War test server was used for that as admins and staff looked for balancing issues and miscalculations. As hundreds of wars were declared and the chance to look at issues were made painfully obvious many player's issues with the game were made obvious. Changes were called for and open discussion in radio shows made these problems well known. But, like my secretary who begged me not to murder her by our window in the high rise, it was pushed through anyway and boy, did it make a royal mess at the end. People understand the new need to work with both ground and air troops but nobody has actually taken the time to study what actually needs to be done. As a global pirate (Unofficial #1 in wars won and Official #9 in wars won) I've spent my 5 years in this game raiding and looking at how wars calculate wins and losses in ground, air and sea battles. However my past 5 years of knowledge has been thrown out the window with my secretary. So In the past 10 new wars as of the new change I did the math I got the new calculations and.... no. Oh, god no. Oh, Jesus no. NOTHING MAKES SENSE

Part 2 TL;DR - Nothing was fixed from the days of testing before this new update. Guilo gets angrier.

Part 3 - I swear to God. Fix it.

I'd like everyone to look at the attached images:

Ground Attack One - Moderate Success
I attack with 120,000 Soldiers with an Army Value of 210,000 as I attack with Munitions.
The Enemy Defends with 69,903 Soldiers an Army Value of 122,330 WITH MUNITIONS.

An Almost 2 to 1 ratio and it's not an Immense Triumph? I'll consider this a fluke and I got the 0.4% chance for this to happen. I lose an army value of 4,296. My opponent loses an army value of 6,344. But then we get to this horses**t.

Ground Attack Two - Utter Failure (on the Dev's Part)

I attack with the same 120,000 Soldiers an army value of 210,000
The Enemy Defends with 93,734 Soldiers and 292 Tanks an army value of 175,714. But he loses half his tanks because of my air superiority. So it's really 169,901.

It's so easy. I have 40,000+ army value advantage over this person. It may not be an Immense Triumph but at least a Moderate Success would of been sufficient. But no. It's an Utter Failure. But here's where I lose my sh*t. I lose an army value of 5,241. The opponent loses an army value of 11,609! How is this possible? I defeated a higher ration of troops here than I did in my Moderate Success as:

4,269 / 6,344 is a much lower ratio than 5,241/11,609. But why? This makes no sense logically as I practically lost the same amount of army value and I did more than 50% MORE damage to the opponent. I understand that Prefontaine wants to revert things back to his glory days of the game but this is absurd. You had days to fix problems like this AND YOU DIDN'T. Not only are you alienating a large swathe of your player base but you're also making it impossible to know how the "War" side of "Politics & WAR" actually works. As the community knows you will do little to fix these glaring issues that you've introduced into the game I'm hoping that this example adds to the piling amount of evidence like that of my murder charge. I don't know what it will take to show that this update is not only unbalanced but mathematically incorrect but I hope that others will step forward with their nonsense to keep this issue alive.

Part 3 TL;DR - Game Devs can't math. Everyone's now mad. To the family of my secretary, Alice Simmons; I am sorry.

mod suc.png

utt.png

• Upvote 1

A game dies without a community.
Don't hate on the communities trying to grow.
Eat them instead.

I'm not trying to revert anything to anything and I'm not the driving force behind war system changes, so lashing out at me isn't really going to get you anywhere.

First, to explain some things with the war system that might not be universally known, whether you get an Immense Triumph, a Moderate Success, a Pyrrhic, or an Utter Failure that has no impact on the units killed/lost. Getting a different victory (or loss) does not add a modifier to your kills or losses. 

Second, the way getting one of those victories or failures works is the game simulates 3 rolls of your units versus theirs. If you win 3/3, you get an IT. If you win 2/3 you get a MS. If you win 1/3 you get a Pyr. If you get 0/3 you get an UF. To my knowledge, this is how it's always worked. 

Third, when performing ground attacks there is an additional benefit towards the defenders that becomes more apparent when you only attack with soldiers. There exists a defenders bonus based on population (I don't have the math handy and that's something Alex would have to provide). So while you might be attacking even soldiers versus even soldiers, the defending nation has their population able to help. Obviously average people aren't nearly as important as soldiers but they do contribute a small amount. Again, you'd need Alex for the numbers.

Now we get to your two examples. The first one you got an unlucky roll or they got a lucky roll, or both happened once out of the three simulated rolls. Getting an unlucky Moderate or a lucky Pyr have happened often. 

Your second attack is an example of that population bonus in effect. The reason he loses a larger army value is because he had tanks that you were able to kill. The first attacker did not. 

scSqPGJ.gif

36 minutes ago, Prefontaine said:

Your second attack is an example of that population bonus in effect. The reason he loses a larger army value is because he had tanks that you were able to kill. The first attacker did not. 

Then how is it that it's an Utter Failure? If I'm killing more units than a Moderate Success then by comparison it should be a Moderate Success or better. I'm fully aware of the "rolls of 4" rolling 3/3, 2/3, 1/3 or 0/3. But this is showing that Immense Triumphs the 3/3 are non-existent against people that you practically outnumber 2:1. 

If I have 50,000 soldiers to your 10,000 it shouldn't give chance a go and all of a sudden my 50,000 picks up an Utter Failure. 

That's not a balancing issue then that's just a gambling system. The odds need to be fixed.

Eat them instead.

2 hours ago, Pascal said:

These kind of things happened hundreds of times to me, rookie fellow pirate.

And what is that? Terribly implemented updates or terrible war mechanic changes?

Eat them instead.