Help! I'm Looking for a Tablet

Alex

• Administrators

Howdy there folks, it's Christmas time and I've come into some cash and have been considering picking up a used/refurbished iPad or something.

What I want to do is have easy portable access to writing code and working on the game. I looked and there are several apps for iOS that are text editors and let me use FTP (I don't use Dreamweaver or whatever, just notepad++, so all I need is a text editor). Many are ridiculously expensive, but there's Textastic which is like $6 or something and looks pretty popular (with built in FTP support).

If I go the iPad route (which would be convenient because I use iTunes, have a lot of music on there and have an iPhone already) I want to know what iPad is worth getting (Is the iPad2 bad? Is the iPad Air significantly better? And I'd like 32gb+ of storage, which I'm not sure I can find with an iPad2.) Also I'm going to need a nice keyboard with it too, something that works bluetooth with it or whatever. I don't know how a lot of that shit works I've never owned a tablet before.

Now, I'm not strictly looking at iPads either, I know there's a million different tablets out there (Windows, Kindle Fire, Android, etc.) Basically what I want applies to any and all tablets:

• Attachable keyboard (wirelessly is fine, like if it works through bluetooth or whatever) that is easy to type with (I do a lot of typing)
  • Text editing and FTP app/software (something reasonably cheap, I won't pay an extra $70 for that)

Good battery life, a nice display, easy to use functionality for other stuff, etc. etc. are also nice but not as much of a priority. A laptop would work too, I'm just thinking a tablet would be cheaper. Basically, my budget is around $200. Used/refurbished is perfectly fine with me, as long as it's not something old and sluggish. I like fast and responsive when I'm using technology, I don't want to be waiting 30 seconds to open up an app.

Alright tech gurus, hit me with your best shot!

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

Interesting. $200 is a tight budget.  I don't trust refurbished, personally.  Kindles are limited, and I'm not a fan of Apple, so I would recommend an Android device for options and flexibility and trying to stay in your budget.  Otherwise, I'd go with a laptop with Windows for broader functionality and ease of use, but then you would need to double your budget.

c3Ct0v4.png

On that kind of budget, probably your best bang-for-buck is a Nexus 7.

I've seen case/bluetooth keyboard combos for these too, for somewhere in the vicinity of $30 (example).

There is no order and no meaning,

there is only the truth of The Signal.

The Signal ever transmits from here

to the eyes and ears of the 'verse.

Can't Stop The Signal.

• Administrators

The Nexus 7 looks nice but I'd prefer something larger (screen wise). This Sony Xperia Z looks amazing, but it's too expensive. If I could find a used one I'd be oh-so-happy, or something comparable but cheaper.

http://store.sony.com/gsi/webstore/WFS/SNYNA-SNYUS-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProduct-Start;pgid=umZMGP0uqvxSRpKeiJvzc8u700001A8syJkZ;sid=mAuKp3kVixz3oyuvZKkpo-Ufh_587qmCWdVZ-I_C?SKU=27-SGP312U1%2FB

Fast processor, large storage capacity, large screen, decent battery life, keyboard are all that I'm looking for. I wish eBay had search options like that.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

The Nexus 7 looks nice but I'd prefer something larger (screen wise).

Well, the next step up would be a Nexus 10, which is still reasonable bang for your buck - but it is neither as modern nor as cheap as the current-generation Nexus 7 (it's also above your budget, but not as much as the Sony Xperia).

There is no order and no meaning,

there is only the truth of The Signal.

The Signal ever transmits from here

to the eyes and ears of the 'verse.

Can't Stop The Signal.

Archived