Euro 2016

Rozalia

Did happen before, didnt went well for Belgium

When did it happen?

They'll have to get past Wales first which I say is not a done deal by any stretch. They may however win if like with England, Wales shows them a bit too much respect. 

Today is Poland vs Portugal. I'd normally go with Portugal but with how they're playing you just don't know... if the manager isn't an idiot and actually starts guys like Renato Sanches among some others, Pepe turns up like he did against Croatia, and Ronaldo has a good game then they may win comfortably, we'll see.

I'll put my money on Belgium. Yep, Wales has a good squad and has entertained us with the way they played so far, but on the paper they're nowhere near Belgium. And yet, Belgium hasn't shown their potential, though. I hope quarter-final will be the time for them to show their true potential.

As for Poland vs Portugal, it will be a tough match for both teams. Poland is so well-organized in the back so far, it's hardly to score against them. On the other hands, Portugal wasn't playing as what pundits expected before the tournament. In my humble opinion, they're just lucky enough to go through the group stage, though.

And Portugal once again cannot win within 90 minutes but gets through. They were however to be fair the better side as the opening... 15 minutes or so aside Poland really degraded after that point. Daring move of the Portuguese goalkeeper to keep diving to the same side in the hopes that eventually one of them would doubt that he'd keep diving in that direction. He ain't a penalty keeper like Ricardo was so I'm not wholly confident when it comes to him saving them.

They'll now face either Wales or Belgium. Obviously I'm behind Wales but like this game that went by it could well go either way. 

Edited by Rozalia

Belgium vs Wales will be worth to watch. I expect a tight match between these two underdogs. And, I'm rooting for Belgium for sure.

To Rozalia: Do you want to bet on this one?

Saying Belgium is an underdog is stretching it I'd say considering they were a favourite going in and will be the favourite against both Wales and Portugal if they get through.

It's not a game I'd bet on. Could go either way as Belgium might blow hot or may blow cold.

Saying Belgium is an underdog is stretching it I'd say considering they were a favourite going in and will be the favourite against both Wales and Portugal if they get through.

It's not a game I'd bet on. Could go either way as Belgium might blow hot or may blow cold.

I would agree with you if football was played on the paper. On the paper yes, they are favorite against both Wales and Portugal. But, if we look up at the history, Belgium has never won any major tournaments, though.

I would agree with you if football was played on the paper. On the paper yes, they are favorite against both Wales and Portugal. But, if we look up at the history, Belgium has never won any major tournaments, though.

Alas they aren't going to this time ;) Can't say I am complaining!

Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest

Excellent game. Outside the opening 15 minutes in the first half and 10 minutes in the second Wales was the better side (discounting the last 10 where they put the whole team behind the ball). 

Opening 15 minutes really put a scare in anyone watching because Belgium looked real strong but once they got their goal they fizzled out and Wales punished them for it. You can understand perhaps Belgium's defense who were it seems overly concerned with Bale leaving Williams open for the goal, but they did it again not long after and I think they may have even done it a third time which is unforgivable. Speaking of Bale I thought he had a good game (though you could say this of the entire team) and it really helped Wales. Wales will miss the two who are barred from the next game.

I'm happy to see the semi-final I wanted (I want either Wales or Portugal to win in the final). Beating Belgium would be considered to be a greater achievement than beating Portugal, but that doesn't make it an easier game as Portugal are, well, survivors basically. They always go far even while playing poor and they have shown great determination by staying in games even as they go down, unlike some teams which start falling apart (i.e England). I'm not too sure what the minds of the players must be on this because with how the brackets are set up both Wales and Portugal are considered to basically be fodder for whoever gets the other final spot but... I personally think they got a real shot and being the final against a giant will only I think embolden the players to do even better. As I've heard it said, big teams win through superior skill, while smaller teams win through superior spirit, determination, and such. So if they reach the final I'm sure belief they can take down whatever giant they're likely to face (Iceland have quite the mountain to climb) will be high. Both teams have a world class player who can change a game on his own also lets not forget.

Neither have Portugal or Wales though Portugal have come close once. I believed Wales had great spirit, but on paper Belgium is considered to have some of the best players in the world right now and if they blow hot then you can be in some real trouble. With how the game went Belgium showed what they're capable of but they simply were not able to play at their highest level for very long.

Excellent game. Outside the opening 15 minutes in the first half and 10 minutes in the second Wales was the better side (discounting the last 10 where they put the whole team behind the ball). 

Opening 15 minutes really put a scare in anyone watching because Belgium looked real strong but once they got their goal they fizzled out and Wales punished them for it. You can understand perhaps Belgium's defense who were it seems overly concerned with Bale leaving Williams open for the goal, but they did it again not long after and I think they may have even done it a third time which is unforgivable. Speaking of Bale I thought he had a good game (though you could say this of the entire team) and it really helped Wales. Wales will miss the two who are barred from the next game.

I'm happy to see the semi-final I wanted (I want either Wales or Portugal to win in the final). Beating Belgium would be considered to be a greater achievement than beating Portugal, but that doesn't make it an easier game as Portugal are, well, survivors basically. They always go far even while playing poor and they have shown great determination by staying in games even as they go down, unlike some teams which start falling apart (i.e England). I'm not too sure what the minds of the players must be on this because with how the brackets are set up both Wales and Portugal are considered to basically be fodder for whoever gets the other final spot but... I personally think they got a real shot and being the final against a giant will only I think embolden the players to do even better. As I've heard it said, big teams win through superior skill, while smaller teams win through superior spirit, determination, and such. So if they reach the final I'm sure belief they can take down whatever giant they're likely to face (Iceland have quite the mountain to climb) will be high. Both teams have a world class player who can change a game on his own also lets not forget.

Neither have Portugal or Wales though Portugal have come close once. I believed Wales had great spirit, but on paper Belgium is considered to have some of the best players in the world right now and if they blow hot then you can be in some real trouble. With how the game went Belgium showed what they're capable of but they simply were not able to play at their highest level for very long.

I couldn't agree more with you. Indeed, they have surprised many pundits by going through to the semi-final, perhaps it will be the biggest achievement for Wales so far. Yep, Wales played far better than Belgium, they owned the match. Wales have been playing very well since the beginning of tournament. I hope they keep playing as the way they used to play so far and then go through to the final and win the tournament.

Anyway, there's a fairy tale saying that an underdog will win Euro once in a while. The fairy tale started back then in 1992 when Denmark lifted the trophy for the first time and then 12 years later in 2004, it was Greece that had a chance to fulfill the prophecy, and maybe 12 years since 2004 which is now 2016 is for Wales? Who knows, right?

Hmm, once again Belgium failed to meet the expectation, as they did so in World Cup 2014. I couldn't help but to laugh at them. Such a waste of talents, though. Lol  :D

Alas they aren't going to this time ;) Can't say I am complaining!

Indeed  :lol:

Edited by Luckynako
  • Upvote 1

I couldn't agree more with you. Indeed, they have surprised many pundits by going through to the semi-final, perhaps it will be the biggest achievement for Wales so far. Yep, Wales played far better than Belgium, they owned the match. Wales have been playing very well since the beginning of tournament. I hope they keep playing as the way they used to play so far and then go through to the final and win the tournament.

Anyway, there's a fairy tale saying that an underdog will win Euro once in a while. The fairy tale started back then in 1992 when Denmark lifted the trophy for the first time and then 12 years later in 2004, it was Greece that had a chance to fulfill the prophecy, and maybe 12 years since 2004 which is now 2016 is for Wales? Who knows, right?

Hmm, once again Belgium failed to meet the expectation, as they did so in World Cup 2014. I couldn't help but to laugh at them. Such a waste of talents, though. Lol  :D

Indeed  :lol:

It's funny there are a lot of Welsh people who really couldn't give a rats arse about football, myself included, suddenly very interested in the championship! If we win the tournament the party will be quite something....although I imagine the same could be said for Iceland lol

Edited by Robert Ap Ioan

Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest

It's funny there are a lot of Welsh people who really couldn't give a rats arse about football, myself included, suddenly very interested in the championship! If we win the tournament the party will be quite something....although I imagine the same could be said for Iceland lol

I hope both Wales and Iceland can do well for the rest of the tournament.

And Germany beat Italy on penalties... ones so bad both Wales and Portugal will be fancying their chances if they can get it down to penalties. In truth Italy should have been out in 90 miniutes if they didn't have the good fortune of the stupidity of Boateng (who does that?). 

Still this is bad news for both teams in the final. Italy is a perfectly beatable team while Germany, while not obviously impossible to beat, are a much harder task.

Iceland tomorrow and I'd not be surprised if they can get past France. Not because they beat England or anything, but France simply aren't that great themselves.

And France win a comfortable 5-2 over Iceland who credit to them never gave up. Some would say that'd be what will happen to Portugal/Wales whoever it is in the final but I disagree. Outside perhaps Gunnarsson who is a bit special due to his long throws they don't really have any "stars" unlike Portugal and Wales.

I think Germany will overcome France and I'll be supporting whoever wins from the Portugal vs Wales game. Come on 12 year rule!

And Portugal pass Wales with 2:0. Surprisingly with none of their "dark arts". Wales were missing Ramsey so had a weaker threat but it's weak as an excuse as Portugal was missing Pepe who has been a stonewall for them. I like his replacement Bruno Alves (I like powerful defenders) but he really ain't in the same league.

Portugal has a horrendous record against both Germany and France... I think they may well play for penalties from the start... I mean they don't exactly have a bad side by any means but I don't see them going on the attack against a big side. They'll try and grind out a 1:0, ironically like Greece who beat them in 2004.

And France with a lot of luck pass Germany, also by two goals. France has beaten Portugal in their last 10 games apparently... ummm, unlike if it were Germany I'd say Portugal has a very real chance so I'll go for them. May require Ronaldo going god mode for them to win in 90 minutes though as otherwise they'll likely try to grind it out. Something tells me France will get a penalty in the final, call it a feeling...

Added a poll to decide who you think will win it now thats it's decided who'll be there and it's nearly time. I've gone with Portugal myself. I believe they will frustrate the French side and win by 1:0 if I'm cautious, hoping France aren't magically awarded a penalty of course.

Edited by Rozalia

Chuffed it worked out like I wanted, the 1:0 I thought it would be. Had a good time with those I watched it with. 

Cristiano coming off was a big hit and Portugal immediately became much weaker on the offensive for some time but I was honestly surprised as the manager put on attacking players in all 3 of his substitutions. I remarked when Moutinho came on that the only option left attack wise was Eder who after his world cup efforts I rated very lowly, but wouldn't it be amazing if he decided to turn up in this game of all of them. As time went on he didn't do much with the ball and served oddly as just a man for France to foul, he was committed, strong, and forced fouls to slow the game down for Portugal and give them set pieces so credit to him for the smart play. Then of course came the goal where he forced his way past the defender, took an age making me think on what he's doing, he forgets the pass and just shoots to score a cracker. 

Credit I think has to go to a lot of Portugal's team in this. Pepe was man of the match for me, he was everywhere and an absolute mountain. Rui Patricio was far more solid then I've ever seen him, a lot less punches and more catches and did fine saves. Carvalho was outstanding, Guerreiro another notable, Font too. Ronaldo for his part showed great spirit in extra time and really got stuck into his support role. Also got to mention Pepe who was so good he has be mentioned twice. I remember in the first half where 3 separate consecutive French attacks were all stopped by him.

On the French side the only one that really stood out for me was Sissoko who many of the times he got the ball looked unstoppable and just tore right through Portugal. France's strongest was the opening 15 miniutes or so, oddly once Ronaldo came off they stopped have as many chances though they still got some close ones.

Edit: Also I'm not so sure the foul on Ronaldo wasn't deliberate. It's a very ordinary tackle and they don't often come with that sort of damage and it didn't even fetch a foul. Additionally the idea that Portugal can't win without Ronaldo should also go down the tube for a while, they do have some good players who often get overlooked. 

Edited by Rozalia

Yeah we won , with the tide as always against US.

• Upvote 1

PEOPLE BE CAREFUL WHERE YOU POST CAUSE IF YOU POST IN A NO COMMENT THREAD, YOU GET A WARNING POINT

CAUSE OTHER PEOPLE SEING ONE MORE POST THAN USUAL HURTS THEIR EYES.

You gotta live long so you can experience the sad joke that this world is.

"If I ever formed an alliance it would be called Grand Puberty Agency

And the text above would be like:"GPA just had a growth spurt"

Yeah we won , with the tide as always against US.

Also must be wondered if they have a good shot at the World Cup in two years, the South American teams aren't exactly in powerhouse form. If they keep Ronaldo and Pepe then I'd say they have a real chance as the rest of the team is pretty young and should only improve by then, also Guerreiro I think should start taking the majority of free kicks I think.

Their youth team is also pretty good so maybe we'll see some more talent get called up, though they'll likely still lack what Portugal has lacked for decades which is a quality Centre Forward.  Eder went to Euro 2016 because without him Portugal would be taking 0 CFs, and then in their games they decided it was better to play without a CF then stick him on which was smart, no offense to Eder (hopefully he'll improve after the boost this'll give him). The decision not to play with a CF alone made me rate Santos a little higher honestly. I remember a decade back, especially during 2004 Portugal were sticking Pauleta up front which basically meant they were playing their matches with 10 men as he was that bloody useless. Made worse as they had Nuno Gomes who wasn't exactly great but even average is world class compared to Pauleta. Over here in England I remember them at half/full times even running "features" if you will that started with "Kids, if you want to grow up to be a Striker, then watch Pauleta on what not to do". In all the years I've watched International football I don't recall any other player being so bad that he was treated like a complete joke like that.

Portugal's best bet I think is to find a young Brazilian, French, Spanish, or whatever player with some Portuguese relation and convince them to play for Portugal. 

• Upvote 1