Upgrade the server

Lu Xun

Right now, despite the game being only 4700 users large and despite the game being in peacetime, we are getting "server is busy" errors during peacetime military rebuys. From the credit outflows, it seems reasonable to request that the server be upgraded a tier or two to handle the current traffic.

After all, if we get this during peacetime, what will happen during the next global war?

As to the financial aspect, well, if you're tracking how many credits move on the market, upgrading the server does not seem to be an onerous burden.

• Upvote 3

Also, you're an idiot. Server Is busy errors are nothing to do with the server. Sheepy implemented it as he needs time for his cron jobs to run, it's built in to the game.

what is wrong with cron job running when people can collect things?

cron job update money in nation new resources...it's not needed...

Welp, you just broke my mind. Normally, I don't grammarnazi, but the combination of grammar, semantic errors, and hypocrisy is gold. Figure it out yourself.

Also, you're an idiot. Server Is busy errors are nothing to do with the server

Never mind that the past few wars the server tended to totally bug out, and game revenue is at least 20k a year judging from the credit market, well sufficient to support decent hosting ((That terrible game that is totally irrelevant and I shouldn't be bringing it up anyways) used to be 10k for a 30k users server once upon a time). As to whether Sheepy ought to hoard his cash and minimize costs, well, it's perfectly within his rights to do so, but this isn't (That terrible game that is totally irrelevant and I shouldn't be bringing it up anyways).

And tell me, do you really want to see server is busy messages all the time? If it's a cron-job issue, then it's a coding architecture flaw and it can be fixed by removing pan-server updates and only updating the information when the specific information is called, such as during a pageview or an attack. But since you like getting locked out of attacks and rebuys, this isn't my problem.

[Edit: spelling]

Edited by Inst
  • Upvote 2

If it's architectural, here's a suggestion. Most pseudo-realtime games only update the information when the information is needed. Aside from the existing architecture, wherein I assume a script updates all the nations every turn, there are three other options.

Pseudo Code 1:

Script that runs every 2 hours:

Set all accounts to update_on

Script that runs every time a nation's information needs updating:

if update_on = false, do nothing

If update_on = true, check the time-stamp for last update, and run the update script. Update the time-stamp, and set update_on to false.

Let the check script run every time the user runs their account, another user interacts with their account in a way that requires an updated account (war, trade, spy).

Pseudo Code 2:

Let every player set a timestamp, and run a check script comparing the timestamp to see if any turns have elapsed since the last timestamp. Update the account and the timestamp as appropriate.

Pseudo Code 3:

Let the check script run both on the server and on the browser client. However, the check-script only runs when other users interact with the account, or when the client checks the timestamp and runs the check-script. This is totally automatic.

There's the three different algorithms. If all nations are checked and updated every turn, then you roughly have 4700 x 12 updates every day. If all nations are checked only when necessary, then you will run a lot of checks, but this could be a simple comparison command, but updating will, importantly, not occur at a set time, locking down the server due to business, and the total number of updates will be reduced dramatically as most players do not refresh their client every 2 hours.

There are problems with the approach, though. A global cron-job has the advantage that since the timing is out of the control of the user, it's difficult, if not impossible, to exploit. Putting the timing in the hands of the user means that players can try to overload or attempt synchronous checks to run multiple updates. But that's a coding security issue, and I trust that Sheepy and ss23 know what they're doing.

If it's architectural, here's a suggestion. Most pseudo-realtime games only update the information when the information is needed. Aside from the existing architecture, wherein I assume a script updates all the nations every turn, there are three other options.

Pseudo Code 1:

Script that runs every 2 hours:

Set all accounts to update_on

Script that runs every time a nation's information needs updating:

if update_on = false, do nothing

If update_on = true, check the time-stamp for last update, and run the update script. Update the time-stamp, and set update_on to false.

Let the check script run every time the user runs their account, another user interacts with their account in a way that requires an updated account (war, trade, spy).

Pseudo Code 2:

Let every player set a timestamp, and run a check script comparing the timestamp to see if any turns have elapsed since the last timestamp. Update the account and the timestamp as appropriate.

Pseudo Code 3:

Let the check script run both on the server and on the browser client. However, the check-script only runs when other users interact with the account, or when the client checks the timestamp and runs the check-script. This is totally automatic.

There's the three different algorithms. If all nations are checked and updated every turn, then you roughly have 4700 x 12 updates every day. If all nations are checked only when necessary, then you will run a lot of checks, but this could be a simple comparison command, but updating will, importantly, not occur at a set time, locking down the server due to business, and the total number of updates will be reduced dramatically as most players do not refresh their client every 2 hours.

There are problems with the approach, though. A global cron-job has the advantage that since the timing is out of the control of the user, it's difficult, if not impossible, to exploit. Putting the timing in the hands of the user means that players can try to overload or attempt synchronous checks to run multiple updates. But that's a coding security issue, and I trust that Sheepy and ss23 know what they're doing.

sheepy knows what he's doing? well that is news for me!!!

• Wiki Mod

The update snore mode is to prevent exploits & bugs while the system updates everything. Has nothing to do with the actual load.

23:38 Skable that's why we don't want Rose involved, so we can take the m all for ourselves

23:39 [] but Mensa is the cute girl at the school dance and she's only dancing with us right now to get our friend jealous

23:39 [] If Rose comes in and gives Mensa what she wants, she'll just toss us aside and forget we ever existed

23:39 zombie_lanae yeah I do hope we can keep having them all to ourselves

23:40 zombie_lanae I know it's selfish but I want all their love

6:55 PM <+Isolatar> Praise Dio

Pubstomper|BNC [20:01:55] Rose wouldn't plan a hit on Mensa because it would be &#33;@#&#036;ing stupid

The game never been slow even though the forums has been acting up (sometimes) but asking sheeps to upgrade would only cost him money where *we* most ppl do not pay him to play... Its free, so you get what you paid for.... I think we and sheeps would be happy if you can provide money for the upgrade :)

Let's see what happens next war. It's relatively easy to get around; once the war kicks off, upgrade the server 1 tier for like $40 (the server is hosted on Linode). Wars in this game typically last 21 days, and $40 3 times a year is $120, a relatively small expense if the server gets downgraded after the war ends.

That said, the implementation has certain things going for it (removal of "let's see who can do their actions post turn fastest"), but on the other hand, it's a bit of an ugly hack. Not a big problem; this is merely iteration 4 or 5 of Sheepy's game.

Welp, you just broke my mind. Normally, I don't grammarnazi, but the combination of grammar, semantic errors, and hypocrisy is gold. Figure it out yourself.

that message is funny for couple of reasons

1. server is busy message occurs on the server. so his point is self refuting 

2. grammar as you said

3. according to his logic. not knowing why a message is there equals stupidity. which means that people like Albert Einstein are stupid in his opinion as he wouldnt know that as well as he played the game!!!  LOL LOL LOL!

4. he seems to have engaged in this comment due to his personal dislike of you. which implies he doesnt think before posting.

5. then calls people stupid  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

which is why this community is only worth it to shitpost. as the people here seem to lack functional brains.