National and International Events

Marco Polo

Sheepy, would it be possible to add National and International events to occur randomly  each week or month to add to the game mechanics.

For i.e.  Random Event:  Citizens of Suikoden are uprising do to lack of freedoms in this country.

Natural Disaster: Major Earthquake has occur in northern Suikoden, killing 10,000 and wounding 5,000. The estimated cost of damage is 5 million.

Random Event: International tensions between two neighboring nations near the boarder of Suikoden.

I hope these examples can help you see where I am going with this, however some events should have a positive or negative bonus to our income or approval rating, industrial economy or military power.

Edited by Ezio Auditore
  • Upvote 2

YEE.

This would be a good icebreaker for everytime you log in, and would reflect real life and its random nature very well. Just make sure the drawbacks and benefits aren't too much, and events should also have a chance to be triggered by government type, approval ratings, and what !@#$ you have made in your cities. And to actually make Approval matter, make it so high approval alters how many positive events you can get compared to negative ones, with the neutral base being 50% (the effect mustn't be too low to matter, though), though natural events are exempt from this.

Edited by Deathstroke

:^)

YEE.

This would be a good icebreaker for everytime you log in, and would reflect real life and its random nature very well. Just make sure the drawbacks and benefits aren't too much, and events should also have a chance to be triggered by government type, approval ratings, and what !@#$ you have made in your cities. And to actually make Approval matter, make it so high approval alters how many positive events you can get compared to negative ones, with the neutral base being 50% (the effect mustn't be too low to matter, though), though natural events are exempt from this.

Exactly where I was going with this deathstroke which I got this idea base on two games: Grand ages midival and kingdom come: deliverance.... I hope sheepy add these things since I like to see how it can affect our evolution of our nation base on our choices in policies or actions in game.

YEE.

This would immediately create a biased environment. Some forms of government will become inherently detrimental to the nation, thereby discouraging players from adopting them. Such mechanisms would simply act as reflections of the political prejudices of the administration. Who is to say that some forms of government are better than others? 

Since this game is mostly run by Americans (as exemplified by the choice of Baseball?! as the international sport), we can assume that democratic governments with 'moderate' policies would be most favoured by 'random' events. Such a move would kill the role-playing dimension of Politics & War. It would further erode the already eroded 'international' character of the game. The beauty of this game is that those who do not agree with liberal democracy can create a nation that prospers just as well as those who oppose autocracy and authoritarianism.

Some nations favour conservative policies. Others favour liberal policies. No system is inherently better than others.

Keep the game as it is!

Edited by Chairman Klemens Hawicki

This would immediately create a biased environment. Some forms of government will become inherently detrimental to the nation, thereby discouraging players from adopting them. Such mechanisms would simply act as reflections of the political prejudices of the administration. Who is to say that some forms of government are better than others? 

Since this game is mostly run by Americans (as exemplified by the choice of Baseball?! as the international sport), we can assume that democratic governments with 'moderate' policies would be most favoured by 'random' events. Such a move would kill the role-playing dimension of Politics & War. It would further erode the already eroded 'international' character of the game. The beauty of this game is that those who do not agree with liberal democracy can create a nation that prospers just as well as those who oppose autocracy and authoritarianism.

Some nations favour conservative policies. Others favour liberal policies. No system is inherently better than others.

Keep the game as is is!

Biased how? Nice assumption there, with assuming the devs would by default make sure moderate policy democracies would have the best events. You do realise it's easy to have stratocracies have events to boost military, for example, right? And liberal nations can get different events, with authoritarian nations getting different, but still equal of a relative power/impact scale events.

The key here is to have player input, and you also assumed that the devs don't listen to said input, which is kind of insulting to the devs themselves. The events would also be meant to specialize the nation in a direction, not make it OP. Make a better argument next time, and don't focus on a trivialty like you did now.

:^)

Biased how? Nice assumption there, with assuming the devs would by default make sure moderate policy democracies would have the best events. You do realise it's easy to have stratocracies have events to boost military, for example, right? And liberal nations can get different events, with authoritarian nations getting different, but still equal of a relative power/impact scale events.

The key here is to have player input, and you also assumed that the devs don't listen to said input, which is kind of insulting to the devs themselves. The events would also be meant to specialize the nation in a direction, not make it OP. Make a better argument next time, and don't focus on a trivialty like you did now.

I did not concentrate on mere 'trivialities', as you phrased so dismissively. The original post mentioned quite prominently, 'For i.e.  Random Event: Citizens of Suikoden are uprising do to lack of freedoms in this country.' Authoritarian systems lack these so-called 'freedoms', therefore they would be unfairly predisposed to certain problems. Uprisings would presumably cost infrastructure or act a sort of glitch during construction or military mobilisation. These are very real possibilities would I do not see happening in the same manner with 'free' systems. Such disparity would force nations to change their systems to an arrangement that they did not want in the first place. I speak for myself when I say that I came to Orbis precisely because I could make my social policies and political structure exactly as I saw fit.

The point is that the leaders of Orbis nations should be free to dictate internal policies without repercussions.

National and alliance leaders in the world of Orbis already have enough matters at hand. Between alliance wars, raids, diplomatic problems, decisions regarding economic growth and other concerns, we do not need more things to deal with. This suggested modification would only clutter the gameplay with further trivial decisions. If Orbis does not satisfy the boredom of a few attention-deficient players, then I suggest such persons find another nation simulating game.  

Edited by Chairman Klemens Hawicki