Stratification in Orbis

Alastor

Most active players will probably notice a common trend: Older AA's and players have a significant city advantage, on average, compared to newer players. It takes roughly an IRL year or longer for a competent new player to catch up - during that year, just passively existing incompetently can likely grow your nation a significant amount further giving advantage to older players but I digress.

New players already have many bonuses applied to their nations, and have had mechanics added over the years to help them even more. I believe it may be time to add another to level the playing field for the fresh meat:

Give new nations cities on nation creation. I broke this down in a few ways that would make sense to me personally.

1. New nations start with 10 cities and the next ten cities don't have a timer.

2. New nations start with (average city count * 0.25) cities or some multiplier that makes sense, I have no idea what the average city count is rn. Next ten cities have no timer.

3. New nations start with (highest city count * 0.25) cities. Next ten cities have no timer.

I think this change would benefit new players in a significant way, much better than a project that gives resources or a higher login bonus would, and still maintain the advantages of being an older player. Cost is the barrier to growth beyond about c20, not a timer, so I think this wouldn't really be that radical of a shift.

Given that new players are required by most alliances to acquire the Urban Planning projects, I think this also offsets that additional burden on new players.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

Why are you in Rose.

Screenshot_20240324_192453_650x175.webp.371a50f212b24d8a1b47b600fff6903f.webp
Hammer Councillor of The Lost Mines
Diety Emeritus of The Immortals, Patres Conscripti (President Emeritus) of the Independent Republic of Orange Nations, Lieutenant Emeritus of Black Skies, Imperator Emeritus of the Valyrian Freehold, Imperator Emeritus of the Divine Phoenix, Prefect Emeritus of Carthago, Regent Emeritus of the New Polar Order, Coal Duke (Imperator Emeritus) of The Coal Mines

On 1/30/2023 at 4:08 PM, Roberts said:

2. New nations start with (average city count * 0.25) cities or some multiplier that makes sense, I have no idea what the average city count is rn. Next ten cities have no timer.

Current average city count (based on the top 46,000 nations by city count) is 5.77. 0.25 * 5.77 = 1.44, which rounds to 1. I think you've drastically underestimated the hordes of nations with few cities lol.

On 1/30/2023 at 4:08 PM, Roberts said:

3. New nations start with (highest city count * 0.25) cities. Next ten cities have no timer.

The current highest city is 55. 0.25 * 55 = 13.75, which rounds to 14.

(Just throwing these numbers out there for reference and because I like math)

Federation of Knox

Enlightened of Chaos, Event Horizon

QA Team and API Team