Star Wars! Identity of Supreme Leader Snoke??

Sebastian Monroe

So to start off it seems everyone in the general discussion is talking about RL issues so i'll bring it back to a lighter tone.

Star Wars! Something most people who enjoy SciFi Love. I mean come on, star wars is amazing. So a big question for me recently is the identity behind Supreme Leader Snoke. Tons of people have their own theories, rarely do they have thoughts behind it to back it up but hey I just wanna hear your opinion from you star wars lovers like myself. 

So post in the comments who you think Supreme Leader Snoke is and if you have thoughts to back it up then post that too.

I'll start off by saying I originally thought Snoke is Darth Plagueis. My thoughts behind it you might ask. It's really a couple of advanced thoughts behind it followed by some simple ones. Which when I started thinking of, well hey wouldn't you know it, its already on youtube or something like that because a couple others agree with my idea.

Example, something Simple, Soundtracks Imply Snoke is Darth Plagueis - YouTube   (Skip to 1:47 into the video) 

There is also some things on fan theories that were interesting aswell that you might read. But then everything on my opinion changed when just the other day, when I read this:

"Pablo Hidalgo is the Creative Executive of the Lucasfilm Story Group, the collective responsible for the official continuity of all things Star Wars. Nothing is canon unless Hidalgo says it’s canon. And in a recent exchange with some inquiring fans on Twitter, Hidalgo seems to have debunked the theory that Supreme Leader Snoke is actually Darth Plagueis." 

So please let me hear what you think!

Sebastian Monroe

President of the Monroe Republic, Commanding General of the Militia

Image result for Monroe Republic flag

I know Star Wars has an expansive universe with many books and games, but generally speaking, Star Wars films don't make references to things outside of the Star Wars films. I was hoping Snoke would be StarKiller from force unleashed, but that was really taking a stretch. Considering that Star Wars doesn't use things outside the films, we can make a few guesses as to what Snoke may or may not be. From the wiki page, we can determine a few things as fact. He is around 7ft tall, he is a humanoid alien, he is male and his eye colour is blue. Now, as far as I'm aware, the power of the dark side alters skin colour (as the wiki page says his skin is pale, but prior to him becoming a sith, his skin colour could be anything), and eye colour (as seen with sheev - darth sidious). In this new canon, it may or may not affect the structure of his face, implying that he may in fact be a human rather than an alien. Determining these factors is very important. The dark side does not, however, change voice depth. This either means that Snoke is an alien, or he uses some sort of voice changer.

Another thing to note, is that Snoke met Anakin when he was a Jedi, as revealed in rogue one. This is a very important detail, as it crosses off many different theories about Snoke being one of Darth Vaders' apprentices, including my favourite one StarKiller. In knowing all this, here are a few guesses.

1. Dead Jedi from previous films.

Although this one is weird, I get the feeling that Snoke could be a variety of Jedi. This is just a guess, but it could include many notable figures including Qui-Gon Jinn, Mace Windu, Obi-Wan, or even anyone on the Jedi council, which extends to Yoda, Plo-Koon and Ki-Adi Mundi. I immediately discredit Plo-Koon, and Ki-Adi, as their physical traits are not matched with Snokes at all. Snoke is wide eyed, which is a match for Yoda, Mace and Qui-Gon, but probably not Obi-Wan as his portrayals were by two different actors.

2. Boba Fett

This one is really weird, but I'll try and reason why. Boba Fett, contrary to popular belief, was not eaten by the Sarlacc and went on to appear in many different Canon things in the Star Wars universe. Boba Fett has all the hatred needed for the Jedi. Boba's last adventure was set 40 years after episode 6. Episode 7 happened 30 years after episode 6. Considering that the films like to do away with other Canon, Boba may in fact be Snoke, as it may be revealed that he survived the sarlacc pit and went on a quest to destroy the Jedi once and for all yada yada all that good stuff. 

3. Original character

In the Star Wars 7 book, it is revealed that the battle of Endor was not a complete victory, and the Empire regrouped and formed the First Order. One unnamed Imperial admiral, ominously called 'the Operator' is the main antagonist and it is implied that this character is Snoke, pulling the strings from far away. This is all very Lovecraftian and very Snoke-like. But even then, the identity of the Operator can be any number of people. I don't like this theory as the Operator must have known Anakin as an apprentice, as it is revealed in rogue one, which means that the Operator would have been in all the previous films, which ties back into the previous theories rather than being an original character.

4. Grand Moff Tarkin

I like this one, because Tarkin has some resemblance to Snoke, with similar facial structure, blue eyes, and light skin. Tarkin knew Anakin as an apprentice as he worked directly with Sheev prior to, and during the formation of the Empire. This theory is also a stretch because Tarkin was supposed to die in the Death Star as it was destroyed in episode 6, as Tarkin went with the whole 'captain going down with his ship', however Tarkin may have had second thoughts and headed to an escape pod, or he could have been picked up by another pod. Anyway, that would explain all the scars around Snokes head. I can't tell you why Tarkin would be so tall, or why his voice is so deep, I'll just have to leave that up to Dark Side Magic. 

Where have you been all my life lol no km just playing but damn I'm happy you answered

For number 1, that could very well be the truth to this as it is a very big possibility. #2 I'm not so sure about this one because we know what Boba Fett looks like because if you recall he was a clone. Though, if his body would have been burned extremely badly that could explain the deformations. #3 I'll have to read more in depth about this but I do like your thinking. #4 Tarkin didn't know Darth Vader was Anakin, he had thoughts but they had never been confirmed or simply after awhile stopped caring. Also Tarkin surving is a long shot.

I haven't seen rogue one yet but I will this week so I'll definitely message you when I do and we can talk more lol

• Upvote 1

Sebastian Monroe

This is the description of the series

Star Wars is an American epic space opera and science fiction franchise, centered on a film series created by George Lucas. It depicts the adventures of various characters "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away".

So you have a point but it classifies as both. Never the less, you read the whole post and probably to comments as well and all you could say was "STAR WARS IS NOT SCI FI" What a shame... I mean at least the king in yellow explained why he thought it was something else and he turned out to be right lol are you a fan of star wars The King in Yellow?

Sebastian Monroe

are you a fan of star wars The King in Yellow?

Yes. I grew up on them. I remember going to Mann's Chinese Theater in Hollywood and waiting in line forever for the very first showing of Star Wars. It was a fun experience.

Personally, I think that Supreme Leader Snoke is Vitiate, the Sith Emperor from the Old Republic Era, just under another name. One reason it could be so is that it would allow people to want to find out who he was and also open up the option for an Old Republic Trilogy and/or TV series.

Back when Anakin was in training at the Jedi Temple from time to time under Obi-Wan, he had a roommate named Dak Snokely. Dak was headstrong, healthy and an incredibly handsome fellow who had to beat the ladies off with a lightsabre- he was a desired physical specimen and a charmer. One day Anakin and Dak were practicing sabre fighting near the Temple Ray Shield Power Containment Unit when Anakin overextended a strike with his lightsabre right into the power coupling, emitting a huge dose of Varin gas which is acidic and toxic to the lungs, right onto Dak. Anakin sought help but it was too late, as Dak was permanently disfigured and bitter ever since the incident. He abandoned his full name and blames Skywalker for his physical state. Snoke went into hiding, eventually rising up after the Empire collapsed and restored an order he was familiar with from the archives he was fascinated about, thus estabishing the Knights of Rin. He sought out the Grandson of Skywalker specifically for vengeance.

• Upvote 1