Suggestion: City Projects

Fronin

One can build one city project per 500 land of a city.

Possible Projects:

-Arcology: Increases population by 1% for the city.

-Electric Arc Smelters: A steel mill consumes 750 infrastructure worth of electricity instead of coal.

-Gigabit Fiber to the Home: Increases commerce by 8%. (removing the need for supermarkets for 115% commerce)

-Machine and Tractor Station: Boosts farm production by 25%, but each unit of food produced in the city consumes .01 units of gasoline per turn.

-Molten Salt Thermal Storage: Reduces power operational costs by 20%.

-Synthetic Fuel Refinery: Oil refineries in the city consume coal instead of oil.

-Vocational School: Increases resource production by 5%.

Edited by Fronin
  • Upvote 2

The idea of city projects has been suggested before, and whilst I do like the concept generally, the current concept here is rather overpowered.

I have 2.5k land per city, so I could have 5/7 of these projects. I wouldn't consider myself a large nation. So the acquisition of the projects could do with a bit more work, however I do like that it encourages land. I feel like it should be harsher though, perhaps every 1000 land. This also depends on the cost of the various projects. (perhaps these need an alternative name as to help distinguish from nation projects?)

--

Actually on a closer look I do quite like some the projects proposed.

Whilst issues do arise from the Arc Smelters of being able to completely sidestep the resource market, it does come at a hefty price tag. A nation with 2k infrastructure would need 2 nuclear power plants AND a wind farm to cover the fact they no longer require coal. 

Gigabit fibre, aside from giving me the horrible reminder of how badly the LNP government messed up the NBN, I don't like it because I believe that one of the costs of the ITC should be the need to grow further. (for example, I generally recommend having cities at 2k and only expanding to 2.3k for the ITC, however as a further aside the new score system has most likely changed the optimum city to infrastructure ratios)

Anyway it seems like a half decent idea to be able to further customise cities and may make non-uniform cities a more attractive option.

Edit: cannot find where I've heard the idea before so it must have been under a different name

Edited by Lilac Veritas
  • Upvote 1

As you sow, so shall you reap

• 2 weeks later...

Could limit the amount of City Projects to 1 per city? That way you have to plan out what city gets what project...and you an have more then one project built but only if you have enough cities to support such. Maybe require each city to have a minimum of 1000 infrastructure before you can build a project.

The United States of Belveria

qAFfwLo.gif

Ooooo, and make the city projects contribute like 20% to your score. 

It's a useful mental exercise. Through the years, many thinkers have been fascinated by it. But I don't enjoy playing. It was a game that was born during a brutal age when life counted for little. Everyone believed that some people were worth more than others. Kings. Pawns. I don't think that anyone is worth more than anyone else. Chess is just a game. Real people are not pieces. You can't assign more value to some of them and not others. Not to me. Not to anyone. People are not a thing that you can sacrifice. The lesson is, if anyone who looks on to the world as if it was a game of chess, deserves to lose.