Change to resource production

Hiroshima

This is just a suggestion that I haven't entirely thought out so don't chew me a new one if you disagree.

So here's my proposition. The more mines you have the more it costs to operate them per mine. This would eventually lead to where you could buy resources cheaper than operating a new mine. This would encourage the trade of base resources like oil and bauxite. I'd leave steel mills and the like alone.

Edited by NMA

“I'm cheap and enjoy butchering” - Manthrax

The only way I see that working out is if it entails heightened safety standards or something due to a more developed nation. Where projects that boost refinement rates play into this, I dunno. Maybe have two different formulas that calculate production and the other calculate operational costs.

I'm just building on your suggestion, not saying yea or nay.

x0H0NxD.jpg?1

01:05:55 <%fistofdoom> im out of wine

01:06:03 <%fistofdoom> i winsih i had port
01:06:39 <@JoshF{BoC}> fistofdoom: is the snowman drunk with you

01:07:32 <%fistofdoom> i knet i forgot somehnt

I`ll explain this using power plants where we visually can currently see this case of buying resources is cheaper than what your nation produces. (We are simply going to avoid pollution cause its just simpler.) Before the 1000 infra point, coal power is just more expensive than oil power.  coal and oil cost the same number of resources to operate but they don't cost the same. You'd figure that everyone would figure out that producing coal and selling it and then buying the oil to power their nation would be a good decision. Ironically this is probably one of the hardest changes to get someone to do even though it can be done through logic and not math. 

Now once a nation hits 1000 infra, everyone everywhere always says to switch to nuclear power. Well oil power and nuclear power cost the same in terms of resources so why switch? The switch being done is to free up a slot. This slot limiting ability is what creates the demand for one to not produce their own resources.(typically not seen unless a nation is at full military.) 

Raw resources are aimed at newer players which is actually really good for the game and follows slightly with what we see. and as long as 50% of the player base is newer and the older nations are warring and not able to make raw resources, the demand here would be visible. The fixed low cost makes them a great incentive to new players. 

The raw resource production in the game is at a stable equilibrium with the manufactured resources. As long as 50% of the nations in the game have full iron mines we would never see the "demand" for iron as no shortage would take place even with 100% of nations producing steel. Even if someone creates a false demand, like we have seen people do with gas/uranium a few times a year, The market place is fixed back to normal in typically under a day. 

I'd love to see a slightly more active market too but realistically it would be done with manufactured resources. This could lead to coal and iron prices raising and create falling steel prices, but the stable equilibrium in the game would be gone. This would make the mass buying events fairly painful to the economy and may create false demands leading to a lot of people getting upset if they moved countries or changed factories. This would be helpful because limited raw resources would be in higher demand. (This would likely lead to a multi-issue, which the game has done a great job of avoiding so far.) 

No, I still buy plenty of oil and lead.

I also use all my extracted resources. This would just make things more expensive for me.

For noobs, producing resources is pretty much the best option until you get to more cities. Don't bother getting commerce early on.