International Summit on Basic Human Rights

Byzantine

3 minutes ago, EmperorNoob said:

18 is better that way they can choose whatever they want to do as they are an adult

True, I'd even be fine with 16 because then they get a drivers license so they can prove age, citizenship, and gender all at the same time.

Edited by Byzantine
Clarification and adding details

33 minutes ago, Byzantine said:

I might not agree with the age limit for choosing a gender. I would say that (a.) parents shouldn't be able to choose the gender of the child. (b.) I wouldn't be opposed to an age limit on the surgery being 14 while choosing and potential hormone treatments can start at any given time that the child decides.

I support that decision

8 hours ago, Byzantine said:

I might not agree with the age limit for choosing a gender. I would say that (a.) parents shouldn't be able to choose the gender of the child. (b.) I wouldn't be opposed to an age limit on the surgery being 14 while choosing and potential hormone treatments can start at any given time that the child decides.

I completely agree with this. It should be the child's decision on what gender he chooses. I also feel that the parents shouldn't know what gender their child has chosen until after the surgery itself. This might sound absurd but it would prevent infanticide especially in Asian countries. I am not saying that every parent would go about killing their child because they chose a gender that they did not prefer. It should be the government's responsibility to ensure that no one influences the child's decision. They have the right to choose whatever gender they wish.

I feel there should be an age limit like you lot said 16 or 18 as at that time they could be mature (reasonably) and responsible (again reasonably) enough to make this important decision.

Moreover, I was wondering if such surgeries could be free of cost for people under the age of 18. As expensive as it may be, the person could have faced discrimination in a sense for not having one gender, unfortunately this is the truth ; the least the government could do is make the surgery free of cost for the person. They are also the ones who will be shaping the next generation so its important that we as the government support them.

Edited by IAmArav

7 hours ago, IAmArav said:

Moreover, I was wondering if such surgeries could be free of cost for people under the age of 18. As expensive as it may be, the person could have faced discrimination in a sense for not having one gender, unfortunately this is the truth ; the least the government could do is make the surgery free of cost for the person. They are also the ones who will be shaping the next generation so its important that we as the government support them.

I personally would only make it free if the adults get it free but make it cheaper for those under age 18. I think I would tie it into healthcare. Since some countries already give free health care this would be free. Other countries don't give free healthcare (maybe there really short on cash or some other logical cause) in which case giving away free surgerys might not be the best idea.

Of Course my country all ready has free healthcare (that goes with your driver's license) so it will be free. As for "They are also the ones who will be shaping the next generation so it's important that we as the government support them" I completely agree. That's why I'm trying to cut through the bureaucratic red tape in my country to fix my education system. That being said I think health class should include education on what changing your gender really means.

Just like leader IAmArava said, most importantly we need to protect trans lives, not just children/teens, but also adults from any discriminatory behavior. Starting with education. If children are our future we need to make sure that they are thought to think and act with respect. And this need to start, not only within the household but in each countries educational system. We need to change mentalities. That takes its time, which is natural, but we need to act now. 

To summarize, we need to provide our trans people the conditions for them to live their lives in their most authentic way but we also need to make sure that they trust and feel protected by the government. For years and years, trans people have felt abandonment and it's finally time to change. Not everyone will accept, but combining it with a strong and comprehensible education system, we will be on the right track and on the right side of History. 

41 minutes ago, Maximilian said:

Just like leader IAmArava said, most importantly we need to protect trans lives, not just children/teens, but also adults from any discriminatory behavior. Starting with education. If children are our future we need to make sure that they are thought to think and act with respect. And this need to start, not only within the household but in each countries educational system. We need to change mentalities. That takes its time, which is natural, but we need to act now. 

To summarize, we need to provide our trans people the conditions for them to live their lives in their most authentic way but we also need to make sure that they trust and feel protected by the government. For years and years, trans people have felt abandonment and it's finally time to change. Not everyone will accept, but combining it with a strong and comprehensible education system, we will be on the right track and on the right side of History. 

I think that this can be extended to the rest of the LGBT+ community. I will most certainly support that and try to get our Legislative branch to see that this needs to be added to the educational system.

However, I do know there is such a thing as government overreach, so no matter how hard we try to educate people there will be those who disagree and I can't do anything about that.

6 hours ago, Byzantine said:

I think that this can be extended to the rest of the LGBT+ community. I will most certainly support that and try to get our Legislative branch to see that this needs to be added to the educational system.

However, I do know there is such a thing as government overreach, so no matter how hard we try to educate people there will be those who disagree and I can't do anything about that.

Sure, there are always people who will disagree, and there's really nothing we can do about it, as long as they don't act aggressively. In that case, if we are currently working on laws that will protect the LGBT+ community, we also need to work on a penal code that will withhold those who don't comply, responsible for their actions and any discriminatory behavior. 

Still on the same topic, sadly there are people who will not comprehend, and that's why we need to work really close with our education system. Seeking to engage and educate our youth on these issues hoping to lead into a well structured, comprehensive, respectful of others, and socially aware group of people that will pass the same values and knowledge from generation to generation. And most importantly, to encourage the fight for human rights. 

• 3 months later...