The Brunso Interviews

ReuKinChe

Background

After leaking evidence of torture by Laurentia to the Reubenian government, Eliza Brunso was hunted by the Laurentians. An agent was arranged to find her and smuggle her out of Laurentia, so that Reubenia could determine the full extent of Laurentia's crimes. With the help of AIHA, hacking her personal data was easy, and so was inferring her location from knowledge of her life. After being smuggled out, Brunso was kept in a high-security luxury facility, and was allowed to relax and explore the facilities for a few days, as there was always the potential that she would spend the rest of her life there. Below are the interviews conducted by the Reubenian government in the days which followed.

Laurentia had become aware of the breach, notified the DGSE to stop and intercept the Reubenian agents. However, they arrived too late and Eliza Brunso had escaped to Williamsburg. 

Laurentia had attempted to use the European Intelligence Directorate to get Reubenia to extradite Brunso to Paris, however, all communications ceased between Laurentia and Reubenia. While The DGSE had wanted to push greater diplomatic attacks from expelling known Reubenian spies to suspending intelligence sharing with the E.U. the President had denied such ideas, fearing such actions would cause greater attention on Reubenia while she tried to push the Anti-Terrorism bill and the Quebec Election a possible catastrophe. The DGSE limited on options decided the only way to get out of this was a truth, but also to ruin the credibility of Brunso. 

Note: Lucy Chan is denoted by LC, and Eliza Brunso is denoted by EB

LC: Good morning Mrs Brunso, I'm Lucy Chan. It's good to meet you.

EB: Pleasure to meet you.

LC: First of all, we'd like to thank you for standing up for human rights. Reubenia greatly appreciates those who put their own safety on the line to help their fellow human beings.

EB: Can I have some water?

LC: Yes, of course. My apologies. walks to robotic assistant, takes glass of water and places it at the table

EB: Tell me Ms. Chan, pardon my frankness. What is the difference between having a human slave holding that platter of water, and a robot programmed to serve?

LC: Well, this robot is non-sentient, so it doesn't have the ambitions and emotions which are a basic part of human life. In that respect, this robot is much like an advanced machine, rather than a conscious being. You'd be glad to know that despite our failure so far to create a sentient AI, the Reubenian courts have already ruled it illegal to use them for duties they do not wish to do, as well as setting many other legal protections, such as voting rights.

EB: Now you see, the difference is convenience: a human costs money, time, and air, while a robot will cost you practically nothing. A robot is obedient, it does as it is told and executes it with perfection, while a human cannot. Now I have all the water in the world in my luxurious room, but I asked you for water in specific. Why is that you may ask? You see, the DGSE puts a lot of value into lives, when it’s one of their own. Everyone else is a mere asset, a disposable one at that. Our work at the DGSE is to be the programmer, and our assets the robot. They do as they are told and they do their jobs well until they are no longer of use. While you flatter me with your immense knowledge, one thing never changes, that robot will continue to serve water as long as it is needed and when that is over it will be reprogrammed or destroyed. Now, please let us begin with your list of questions. I assume the men next door are eager to hear what I have to say.

LC: Well, for today, we'll be discussing the evidence of torture which you've exposed. While the evidence you provided us was useful, are you able to direct us to where we may find further evidence? This is because Reubenia may open a court case against Laurentia in the ECJ when sufficient evidence is collected.

EB: You will need to find Robert Walters. He is head of our clean crew in Italy. Unless you break into a DGSE base in Laurentia, you won't find anything. However, you will need to act quickly. Before I left, our good friend Carlos Franco was killed by an FRA attack in Vale Heights. I assume with your knowledge you can read between the lines. If he is not dead or captured, best bets is he took his family and is escaping to Hungadada, Hispania, or even here."

LC: Thank you for this valuable intel. As you have exclusive knowledge of the DGSE's inner workings, are you able to give us some pointers as to how a break-in operation could proceed?

EB: Define break-in.

LC: If Walters has already been caught, ideally, to break into the DGSE base in Laurentia and leave with Robert Walters, preferably with no collateral damage.

EB: Do you have a map of Paris, and a Global Map?

LC: Yes, right here. hands over tablet containing both maps

EB: Usually the Laurentian Government operates its transfer cells in Airbases. They offer mandatory protection and do not fall under territorial law. So, legally Laurentia has done nothing wrong, ethically that’s another question. If Roberts is already in DGSE custody they would have him at Paris or worse in Marseille. The Paris Office is guarded by 20 armed soldiers on the exterior. There are security cameras linked to a decentralized computer, with a retina scanner console and a key-card console inside the Elevators and all OPSEC Floors. Inside there are roaming guards, all DGSE trained. The Airbases are protected by the national armed forces, so the DGSE uses their small site, cleans up and moves everything before heading to Laurentia to properly interview and interrogate. If the Laurentians have Roberts, he is as good as dead, as would any agents attempting a break-in.

LC: Hmmm... Were you referring to Walters' location when you mentioned Hungadada and Hispania?

EB: I was saying if he was not captured, he would be going to Hungadada or Hispania. The problem is, Hungadada is practically a Laurentia safe-haven, the Governments practically cooperate in extradition, and often the DGSE operates free-handed in Hungadada, and Hispania is very defended. The Army has been fighting an insurrectionist movement in the region for almost a year now.

LC: Damn. As heartless as this sounds, is extracting Walters worth the risk?

EB: Well, it is worth the risk. However, I doubt he would be alive. Unfortunately he was my only lead, with Franco dead the only person with knowledge on this matter is the Director of the DGSE and perhaps the President. I'd rule out the President because it would be politically suicide and I base her as a woman of principals and morals.

LC: Thank you for your suggestions. We'll conduct further interviews tomorrow. You are now free to leave. We have a buffet lunch available today.

Setting the Trap

As incontrovertible proof of Brunso's association with terrorism had been provided by Laurentian and Hungadadan authorities, Reubenia hoped to in some way atone for its mistakes. The method was decided upon after the development of brain emulation technology. If Brunso's mind could be emulated, valuable information could be uncovered about the FRA's inner workings; information which could lead to their defeat. Jonathan Tran was tasked with luring Brunso into the procedure.

Springing the Trap

JT: Mrs Brunso. I'm afraid that the ECJ has ruled that we must return you to Laurentia. We will, of course, try to organise an escape, but it may not succeed Fortunately, we have recently developed brain emulation technology, which allows us to make a copy of your consciousness and implant it into a computer. There will be the orignal you, and the virtual you, although both will be exactly the same. If you sign here, you'll be able to live on inside a robot with form and senses customised for your needs. The technology is very good, and so you'll be able to enjoy life just as well, if not better, inside the computer. However, we cannot let the Laurentians learn about this technology, and so after you undergo this procedure, the original you will have all memory of this conversation wiped. Don't worry, as the original you would still sign the form after having their memory wiped, and the virtual you will remember everything. We also won't wipe other memories, as the process only works on willing participants.

EB: angry You said you could win a legal battle in the ECJ if I gave you evidence!

JT: We were sued for holding you here, rather than us suing Laurentia for torture. What's done is done. We're sorry for our failure. We're offering you a chance for a new life, under a new name. You'd be able to walk free from here without repurcussions if you let us perform the procedure.

EB: You might as well shoot me now, I won't be leaving.

JT: sighs Look, we'll try to- never mind. You wanna be shot? Very well. shoots Brunso

Aftermath

Due to Brunso's stubbornness, Tran was forced to shoot her in the neck with a potent tranquilliser dart. The computer-controlled procedure took place shortly after, and an almost microscopic incision was made into her skull to erase her memories of both interviews and replace them with innocuous activity. A microscopic organic implant was also placed into her brain, and was designed cause a seizure after approximately 4 seconds of torture. The incision was then filled in and a healing substance was applied. The digital copy of her mind was then created, and transferred to a high-security data storage facility in an undisclosed location. Simulations would occur at that location.

After much resistance, the original Eliza Brunso was covertly transferred to the Laurentian embassy in Williamsburg the following day, with no potentially dangerous information to give.

Edited by Reuben Cheuk

By running a VR simulation in Brunso's mind, Reubenia was able to find out important information from how she acted in different situations. For all she knew, the simulation was the real thing. It was soon learned that Eliza Brunso was a code name, and that her real name was Herschel Grunwald. But such information would pale in comparison to what would be found about the FRA. The entire brain emulation plan had the goal of ultimately defeating the FRA, so that Reubenia's brother to the west could finally rest safely. Unfortunately, it would take weeks to find out enough information about the FRA from Brunso's behaviour, so the rate of the simulation was increased by a factor of 500. To Brunso, it would feel exactly the same. To her, she was finally free, and surrounded by her Flemish allies.