[Organic] 'Round the Rings of Saturn

Shex

Oberon Station, Beta Fornacis, Universe NS-1

"You're serious."

"Indeed, Comrade.  If we have a foothold in a new universe, why shouldn't we take what we can?  It is quite clear that the local sapients near the colony do not have a particularly active space program.  They are not using the other planets near their homeworld, and our allies have secured positions on other worlds in the Orbis System.  We should secure our own Starbase in the region."

"Our colony is tiny and insignificant.  A Starbase would be a waste of RUs.  If our presence will not affect them, then we should start with an Orbital Refinery.  It doesn't need that much crew, and if the colony actually manages to become a settlement our civilians and local garrison can make use of it as a fuel station."

"We would need to supply it with a few Guardians as well, but we've confirmed that the Delta Serpentis Subspace node still exists in this variant of Sol.  If the unthinkable happens, our people can evacuate the system."

"Then it is settled.  We shall fortify our holdings in the Orbis system.  I'm sure Arcadia colony will be thrilled!"

Arcadia Colony HQ, deep in the Arabian Desert.  Orbis (Orbis III), Universe PW-1

"You're kidding!"

"It would be a joke in very poor taste.  Command has confirmed that they're sending a team of engineers to build an Orbital Refinery in Saturn's orbit.  They'll even give the Refinery a minuscule 'garrison,' if we can call it that, of two Guardian class Cutters.  We shouldn't expect any serious attacks, especially with other UMS allies in system."

"We could use those Guardians.  And Command obviously knows that we can't really support anyone stationed on that Refinery."

"Mark my words, Comrade.  Things are about to change.  Perhaps Command hasn't dismissed us so easily."

In Saturn's Orbit, an Orbital Refinery was built.  With two ships docked at all times, and gases from the massive world gradually getting sucked into the structure, how long would the other factions on Orbis continue to sit, seemingly unaware of the gradual takeover of their star system?

• Upvote 1

"The world is a comedy to those that think; a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

Vex's Fuels and Formulas, orbit around Saturn (Orbis VI), P&W 1 'Verse

"I told you it was a bad idea to set up a station here.  We haven't had any customers!"

"Jim, as Director of this station let me assure you that it was a brilliant idea."

"Oh, and how is that?"

"Well, let's put it this way, there are quite a few starships around here, and the people of Orbis are bound to make more."

"...  But what makes you think they'd use us for fuel?"

"Simple!"

A massive Neon sign was installed on all four corners of the Refinery.

"Ok, but if they aren't looking in our direction, they might not notice us."

"That's why, like those terrestrial gas stations, we must have constant broadcasts!"

And so, the following broadcast was deployed as the very first transmission from the Station:

"Here at Vex's Fuels and Formulas, you can get the latest in advanced Fuel Rod technology.  One size fits all, and these Rods are compatible with most reactors.  If your ship can't take Fuel Rods, then we offer standard refueling services as well.  Now, a word from our sponsors...

"BACHELOR CHOW!  WHEN YOU'RE SINGLE, AND LIVING THE LIFE, YOU MIGHT NOT HAVE THE TIME TO COOK AND CLEAN.  TRY BACHELOR CHOW!  TAKE ONE PLOP, ADD WATER, AND THE FUN WON'T STOP!..."

Similar notices were broadcast from the station 24/7, and the Neon signs pulsated brightly.  Hopefully, the growing starfleets of the region would come.

(A photo datafile of a similar station):

SnVPJ5y.jpgFuel Station

Edited by Shex
  • Upvote 1

"The world is a comedy to those that think; a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

Vex's Fuel and Formula

Orbit over Saturn, Orbis System

A pair of Nidhoggur carriers, marked with KOF symbols stop at the station, the enormous 25.7km vessels, built as a carrier, but now used across Mri Space as civilian transports and shipping containers. Their massive interior space permitted them to carry irrational quantities of material. These KOF transports were filled with construction materials and were heading out of the system. However, the ships needed additional fuel rods and the commander had to get a snack for what was going to be a long, 18 day shift.

The crew of each ship, numbering at only 40 per ship, disembarked and began purchasing food and drink while the second in command simply waited aboard his ship, knowing someone had to stay behind. He had brought his own snacks from home and was not going to share. On board the station, fuel rods were purchased using the UMS bank credit chip which was installed in every KOF Captain's name tag. He makes an off-hand comment to one of the employees there regarding the lack of patrons, "Pretty shocked that this station is so empty. You figure a system with this many inhabitants would never have enough fuel stations for everyone's ships."

Federal Monarchy of Kesrith

"May Nika's light show you the path" - Queen Ariel I to Queen Lexa I, dying words

Vex's Fuel(s) and Forumula(s)

Orbit over Saturn: Orbis VI

As the forty or so crewmen began their shopping experience, a number of employees gathered in their lounge.

Below large advertisements for Slurm and FutureCorp, they gathered excitedly, chattering over their good fortune.

"Well, Jim, we have our first customers."

"Did you see the size of those ships?  That's pretty much Superdreadnought scale..."

"Some races believe bigger is better.  It's a good thing they're allies."

"Anyway, did you post the Guild's signs yet?"

"Sure did, boss!"

As the forty crewmen selected their purchases, they might have noticed a large sign plastered on the ceiling.

Now Accepting Bio Credits

"Apparently the local fauna and flora interest the Guild enough for them to make the offer.  Although frankly it's not like they haven't seen humans before."

"I have heard that many species are wary about collecting DNA samples.  Especially if those samples reveal the presence of other material."

"Pssshhh.  If they want to easily do business with the Melnorme Trade Guild, they'd better shake those inhibitions off.  Half of them probably don't have useful currency anyhow.  All they'd have to do is hold out an appendage and take the shot."

"Well, that's the thing.  What if their DNA doesn't translate to that many credits?"

The staff in the room stood for a minute, pondering over that dilemma.

One of them started to smile.

"Never fear!  There's always Mastercard."

Service Counter 1, Vex's Fuel and Formula

The employee gave his best possible smile, despite not having a mouth in the standard humanoid location.

"Well, it figures people wouldn't show up just yet.  I mean have you seen the state of the local sapients here?  Most of them can barely get to their moon.  But we're more than happy to wait.  After all, with all this UMS activity we figure someone's going to show up.  Now is there anything else I can help you with?

Vax's Fuels and Formulas

Orbit over Saturn (Orbis VI), Orbis System

"Yeah, not familiar with this 'verse. Can you get me a good star chart? Can't seem to find anything except replications of charts from FB-1 and MS-1 'verses. I can't believe the locals have not mapped their own stars! Its almost as if we are going to have to explore an entire universe all over again with only expectations of what we will find there."

Meanwhile, the crew is still moving around buying small things. One of the Sphenir crew members asks, "What are bio credits?" an employee explains it to him for a few minutes as the large avian humanoid listens. "That sounds, strange. I suppose we can try it." He has a few snacks and a half dozen different drinks. He takes the shot and waits on the results.

Nearby, there was another pair of workers, one Yin Mri and one Leonin, watched as the bird man put his DNA to the test. Sphenir were typically the least outgoing race onboard any starship and watching one try something new was something of a novelty. They laughed as the Sphenir flinched from the shot and anticipated the man to have "useless DNA" for the bio credits.

Federal Monarchy of Kesrith

"May Nika's light show you the path" - Queen Ariel I to Queen Lexa I, dying words

Vex's Fuels and Formulas, Service Counter 1

Orbit over Saturn (Orbis VI), Orbis System

"Sure!"  The Employee grinned, his body twisting down behind the counter.

"Let me see...  Ah, here!  Yes, well our government hasn't really been able to conduct a full scan of this 'verse.  We never actually planned to be here.  Long story.  But I'm told that they sent some probes out to nearby systems.  Here's what know so far."

He brought out a scroll that, when unraveled and placed on the counter, barely covered two thirds of the counter's surface.

"Most of the nearby stars have planetary systems that resemble those found in our main 'verses.  Rumor has it that the probes that proceeded to a few more distant systems...  Have failed to report back.  I mean it's scary but it's not like a probe's computer is all that smart!  Some big asteroids might have smashed them up."

The employee who extracted the Sphenir's DNA glanced at a monitor nearby.

"Well, I have good news, buddy.  Your species is unique to our database.  As such, we can pay top dollar for your info.  Here you go."  He hands the Sphenir a data card.  "350 Credits loaded on that account.  It'll definitely cover the stuff you're ordering, and then some.  The Guild pays top dollar for unique or 'rare' data.  You'll need to fill out a few more forms if you want to open an account with actual interstellar merchants affiliated with the Guild, though, but that card works at any Bro store."