[Theory] Politics and War is a hellish nuclear wasteland

Pax

• Administrators

I love this theory. This is great :)

If it helps, the game date technically began Jan 1, 1970. Seriously though, I'd love to be able to adopt this into some sort of established "canon" in game lore.

• Upvote 4

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

If it helps, the game date technically began Jan 1, 1970. Seriously though, I'd love to be able to adopt this into some sort of established "canon" in game lore.

how long is a orbis year

The Great Emperor of New Scandinavia

• Administrators

how long is a orbis year

One game day is one turn (2 hours). So every RL day, that's 12 days in-game, which translates to roughly one RL week being one in-game month. I stand corrected: 2 months.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

My theory is there was some huge worldwide accident (possible nuclear war) that lead to the fall of Earth. The survivors, 1 million people (that's why the population is so much lower than the real world population), created Orbis, and the 1 million people were the select smartest and most important people in the world (that's why we didn't go back to primitive versions of ourselves, and instead still had the knowledge to create armies and nuclear weapons and farms and whatnot).

• Upvote 1

This is very small

• Administrators

My theory is there was some huge worldwide accident (possible nuclear war) that lead to the fall of Earth. The survivors, 1 million people (that's why the population is so much lower than the real world population), created Orbis, and the 1 million people were the select smartest and most important people in the world (that's why we didn't go back to primitive versions of ourselves, and instead still had the knowledge to create armies and nuclear weapons and farms and whatnot).

The current population is: 1,704,470,310 people which is significantly less than Earth's population in 1996, which was 5.78 billion. Obviously something dramatic happened to change that.

• Upvote 4

Forums Rules | Game Link

One game day is one turn (2 hours). So every RL day, that's 12 days in-game, which translates to roughly one RL week being one in-game month. I stand corrected: 2 months.

sempie notice me

The current population is: 1,704,470,310 people which is significantly less than Earth's population in 1996, which was 5.78 billion. Obviously something dramatic happened to change that.

That's why I said only 1 million people were selected to survive the worldwide accident.

This is very small

Actually there is an established reason why Orbis exists.

http://politicsandwar.wikia.com/wiki/Baa-ism

Lets not stray from the truth into pseudo-science, people.

• Upvote 3

rsz_1g7q_ak91409798280.jpg

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a roll.

There is one you will follow. One who is the shining star, and he will lead you to beautiful places in the search of his own vanity. And when there is no more vanity to be found, he will leave you in darkness, as a fading memory of his own creation.

you just had to ruin it

If you actually want to work on it, I'm a writer and I could help you work it out. Not sure how we'd implement it but I'm sure we could brainstorm something

Edited by Pax
  • Upvote 1

<+JohnHarms> We need more feminists

Lies, this is the history of Orbis

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

Since you seem to be going for a quasi-realistic approach, it's been projected that an all-out US-USSR nuclear war would not have come close to wiping out humankind, although it could perhaps be nuclear war in combination with something else. A pandemic, perhaps, or...

asteroid-impact-dinosaur-extinction.jpg?

Since you seem to be going for a quasi-realistic approach, it's been projected that an all-out US-USSR nuclear war would not have come close to wiping out humankind, although it could perhaps be nuclear war in combination with something else. A pandemic, perhaps, or...

That projection assumes a lot of things about how everything will go down, and the way that everything else goes down would vary significantly based off of those early days. Just to quote the page itself, "Certainly the predictions described here are uncertain: for example, casualty figures in the U.S. are accurate perhaps to within 30% for the first few days, but the number of survivors in the U.S. after one year could differ from these figures by as much as a factor of four".

The most notable assumption is just how many people would be killed by starving and collapsed governments. We don't have exact numbers on that, but many estimates are much higher than the one you provided: it's very possible that for years, there would be almost no crop yields. 

• Upvote 1

That projection assumes a lot of things about how everything will go down, and the way that everything else goes down would vary significantly based off of those early days. Just to quote the page itself, "Certainly the predictions described here are uncertain: for example, casualty figures in the U.S. are accurate perhaps to within 30% for the first few days, but the number of survivors in the U.S. after one year could differ from these figures by as much as a factor of four".

The most notable assumption is just how many people would be killed by starving and collapsed governments. We don't have exact numbers on that, but many estimates are much higher than the one you provided: it's very possible that for years, there would be almost no crop yields. 

That is true, and interesting. I'll have to read further. Would you happen to have links to specific alternate estimates?

It's funny, i had a theory that was similar. But my theory stated that Orbis was a post-nuclear fallout Earth sometime in the 22nd century due to the level of technology some nations have. 

• Upvote 2

That is true, and interesting. I'll have to read further. Would you happen to have links to specific alternate estimates?

This is one article citing that a small nuclear conflict could cause starvation of over a billion people (though admittedly this source is biased and should be taken with a grain of salt - the website is very specifically anti-nuclear)

This is one from a weather website discussing the possible effects of the nuclear winter, much less biased. It cites that at least a few years of major widespread crop failure would take place, followed by at least a decade of massively reduced crop yield.

This is yet another one citing similar numbers.

Worth noting that all of these articles site what would happen with around 100 of the smallest nukes available in the world - at the peak of the cold war, there were over 70,000 between the US and USSR, and the average was probably ten times the size of these. The amount of fallout that all of those could cause is almost impossible to accurately measure, but it would be pretty horrible.

• Upvote 2

This is one article citing that a small nuclear conflict could cause starvation of over a billion people (though admittedly this source is biased and should be taken with a grain of salt - the website is very specifically anti-nuclear)

This is one from a weather website discussing the possible effects of the nuclear winter, much less biased. It cites that at least a few years of major widespread crop failure would take place, followed by at least a decade of massively reduced crop yield.

This is yet another one citing similar numbers.

Worth noting that all of these articles site what would happen with around 100 of the smallest nukes available in the world - at the peak of the cold war, there were over 70,000 between the US and USSR, and the average was probably ten times the size of these. The amount of fallout that all of those could cause is almost impossible to accurately measure, but it would be pretty horrible.

I'm surely not the only one to call Orbis the second Dark Ages, am I?

putin-trump-sig_zps657urhx9.jpg