Jeremy Corbyn elected Labour leader

Dan77

Corbyn winning is going to give Mr Blair and Mr Murdoch something to think about, both stand to lose if Mr Corbyn pushes his plans into action. Blair hopefully will have hard questions to answer and Mr Watson will surely want to right some wrongs.

Blair will be facing trial while Murdoch and the other barons will find their business impeded. If it ain't taken off them outright (Corbyn is big into nationalisation lets not forget), then proper rules with teeth will be brought in for their papers to follow which will defang the influence of the papers. 

Have you seen the posts made by Boris Johnson and the Conservatives on Facebook? Classy smear campaign!

You talking about the "threat to national security" video and all that? I didn't see it before it went down but from what I hear most of it was selectively taking parts from quotes to try and saying something else. Such as Corbyn apparently saying Bin Laden dying was a tragedy, when in reality he said it was a tragedy they decided to just kill him instead of putting him on trial. 

The Russian embassy made quite the comment when asking to imagine what the British media's response would be if Putin were to say that about a political opponent. The media predictably is fully behind Cameron and his cronies in this because for the first time since the "suicide note" they've finally been put on the defensive, and that scares them.

• Upvote 1

You talking about the "threat to national security" video and all that? I didn't see it before it went down but from what I hear most of it was selectively taking parts from quotes to try and saying something else. Such as Corbyn apparently saying Bin Laden dying was a tragedy, when in reality he said it was a tragedy they decided to just kill him instead of putting him on trial. 

The Russian embassy made quite the comment when asking to imagine what the British media's response would be if Putin were to say that about a political opponent. The media predictably is fully behind Cameron and his cronies in this because for the first time since the "suicide note" they've finally been put on the defensive, and that scares them.

Yep, it's quite amusing.

First PMQs have finished. I thought it was a good showing from Corbyn though perhaps he should instead of 6, use 3 from the public while letting him press with the other 3.

I wish he had challenged Mr Cameron on the topic of borrowing.

Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest

It dont really matter who is in power they all lie to get there.Then screw everyone over until the next election then they lie some more and screw everyone again and we keep on doing it over and over coz there is no other option

Truth has been spoken.

While the idea of a politician who, "apparently", doesn't want to drop bombs on peoples heads sounds amazing... I am not going to vote as usual.

This is the same labour party that invaded Iraq and Afghanistan, that allowed people to be tortured, that was supporting the bombing campaigns in Iraq and Syria in the very recent elections in which they were soundly defeated. I'm sorry if I don't buy this bullshit, it smells a lot like the "Yes we can" campaign of Obama and we know how riddled with lies that turned out to be.

Edited by Ibrahim
ztt5Wgs.png

Truth has been spoken.

While the idea of a politician who, "apparently", doesn't want to drop bombs on peoples heads sounds amazing... I am not going to vote as usual.

This is the same labour party that invaded Iraq and Afghanistan, that allowed people to be tortured, that was supporting the bombing campaigns in Iraq and Syria in the very recent elections in which they were soundly defeated. I'm sorry if I don't buy this bullshit, it smells a lot like the "Yes we can" campaign of Obama and we know how riddled with lies that turned out to be.

A world of difference between the two. Obama whatever a lot of Americans think is just another third way (social left, economic right) politician, as such I saw through his tripe with no issue. 

Corbyn represents Labour's traditional values (social left, economic left) which today are considered extreme/radical/loony by politicians/media, even within his own party. Heck it's often remarked that even though Labour supporters overwhelmingly support Corbyn, only 10% of Labour's MPs do as they're closer to the Tories than they are to Corbyn. 

So no, while it is indeed the Labour party in name, to say it's in spirit is nonsense. Corbyn and his closest allies voted against all the incursions of the past and has held such views for 40 years even as they were ridiculed as old loonies.

Beyond that Omama talks soundbites while Corbyn at his first PMQ instead read out messages from the public and was calm throughout never reverting to some catchphrase. If you really think a guy like Corbyn is just Tony Blair or someone like that then... why even involve yourself in the conversation? 

Yep, it's quite amusing.

I wish he had challenged Mr Cameron on the topic of borrowing.

Well if he continues as he has there are some advantages. For one Cameron will keep having to go to the well of his empty platitudes... which he'll be repeating every week. Even the most easily duped will start to see that Cameron doesn't actually have any actual answers. Secondly months later they can use Cameron's answer to catch him out. Thirdly it weakens the attempts of the media to paint Corbyn as insane as all his questions are from the public. Notice how Cameron didn't once ridicule the question, Corbyn, or Labour? That was because while a question from Corbyn he can very easily play the man to escape if needed, he can't do that if it's from a member of the public.

• Upvote 1

Even if Corbyn is a genuine guy, which is a big IF for a politician, he won't have enough political capital to be able to do much of anything if he won the next elections (as you say "only 10% of Labour's MPs" support him). Thus the status quo will remain in tact, and those who dream of changing it by the ballot box shall forever remain doomed to failure.

Edited by Ibrahim
ztt5Wgs.png

Corbyn represents Labour's traditional values (social left, economic left) which today are considered extreme/radical/loony by politicians/media, even within his own party. Heck it's often remarked that even though Labour supporters overwhelmingly support Corbyn, only 10% of Labour's MPs do as they're closer to the Tories than they are to Corbyn. 

So no, while it is indeed the Labour party in name, to say it's in spirit is nonsense. Corbyn and his closest allies voted against all the incursions of the past and has held such views for 40 years even as they were ridiculed as old loonies.

I find it sad that most people probably don't realise the difference between the views of the MP's and the views of the grass-root members, and that includes the majority of MP's I suspect. It says a lot that Corbyn won with a 60% majority of voters, on a higher turnout than for a general election and that 30,000 people have become Labour members since Saturday.

Even if Corbyn is a genuine guy, which is a big IF for a politician, he won't have enough political capital to be able to do much of anything if he won the next elections (as you say "only 10% of Labour's MPs" support him). Thus the status quo will remain in tact, and those who dream of changing it by the ballot box shall forever remain doomed to failure.

Well considering he is a member of CND and other anti-war organisations, has been arrested for protesting against apartheid and has spoken to members of organisations deemed terrorists I think we have grounds to think he is genuine. He has a massive mandate from the people who elect the MPs. If the MPs refuse to support him the members will get bloody stroppy pdq.

Jeremy Corbyn has a far more legitimate mandate to lead Labour than the Prime Minister has to lead this country!

Edited by Rob Ap Ioan
  • Upvote 2

Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest

Depends how things go really. If he were to win by a very slight majority then it may well be problematic, though if he can get this slight majority with the SNP still a force then that certainly makes things easier for him. Now were he able to get say 400+ seats then it would cause such a shockwave that those against him in Labour today would realize all their ideas on what gets you into government are wrong. When they make that connection they'll fall in with Corbyn's beliefs due to him winning as a genuine left winger, and because he'd have such a large mandate. 

Of course early days yet.

I find it sad that most people probably don't realise the difference between the views of the MP's and the views of the grass-root members, and that includes the majority of MP's I suspect. It says a lot that Corbyn won with a 60% majority of voters, on a higher turnout than for a general election and that 30,000 people have become Labour members since Saturday.

Well considering he is a member of CND and other anti-war organisations, has been arrested for protesting against apartheid and has spoken to members of organisations deemed terrorists I think we have grounds to think he is genuine. He has a massive mandate from the people who elect the MPs. If the MPs refuse to support him the members will get bloody stroppy pdq.

Jeremy Corbyn has a far more legitimate mandate to lead Labour than the Prime Minister has to lead this country!

Hence why so many say politicians are "out of touch" due to most of them having politics very different to their vote base. 

Even the media don't question his "realness" on such matters, for good reason.  

Personally, I'm against him. As a grammar school student (sixth form) who has enjoyed the benefits of such education, I disagree with his opinions on it. The reason why he hates them is because he got two Es at one for A-Levels. Talking to friends who go to his old school, it is quite amusing  - they use him as a bit of joke. 

Also, I fear that with the advent of a more left wing Labour, we will be alienating significant numbers of members. I think we may sadly be in for a bit of one party politics for a while. His opinions on a maximum wage are laughable. While a higher tax and a crackdown on tax avoiding is needed, to cap it is ludicrous and will make high paying jobs such as Surgeons pointless. As Humans, we require greater heights to strive for.

image.png?ex=65f5ad0b&is=65e3380b&hm=0a640d0767cb6936d92567608b47cf3887ad83c117a24672a3d863cd0ce3a642&