9/1/2015 - What's Going On

Alex

I am fine with the rollback (by fine I mean pissed off that it's hurt my alliance but accepting the necessity)

However:

1. There needs to be more professionalism. When we donate all those credits to "support the game" we expect that money to be spent on game development, including professional security and so on, not just on "wages" or upkeep. And yes Mensa have invested a great deal but by "we" I mean all players.

2. The message in OP was poorly thought out to the point of being rude. "try better second time round" or whatever sounded like it was supporting the VE side of the war. I'm sure this wasn't the intention but it sounded like he was giving them a second chance. The mention about credits now being available was incredibly poor and made me absolutely certain I'll not be buying credits ever again.

3. People who are saying Mensa should leave if we don't like it obviously don't understand how games like this work. I'd like to see P&W with a hundred thousand active players and a dedicated admin team with an office. Telling a group that is actively bringing money and activity to the game to !@#$ off is so counterproductive and good customer service isn't a "take it or leave it" situation, it involves working proactively with all of your customers.

In any case I hope Sheepy will discuss this further with the Mensa leaership

discuss it with Mensa leadership? your one alliance in a line of alliances, this did not effect just one alliance or nation, it effected them all. not one alliance or nation in the game was spared the loss of time, money, growth.

this is not the first or will be the last start up game with things like this happaning, Cybernations, Trukz, Civiny, Eve all of them had hacking issues when they first started out.

I vote we rename this the !@#$%ing thread where we all talk about how annoyed we are. But srsly this is a game and problems happen, so if everyone would stop complaining that would be great.(ಠ_ಠ)

Edited by Kyubey

Humans cannot create anything out of nothingness. Humans cannot accomplish anything without holding onto something. After all, humans are not gods.

It's very much a business.

Although I agree with the general point of not offering return on donations purchases.

Can we all start calling them what they are?

Edited by Wayne

☾☆

Warrior of Dio

Hey 'tards, stop bickering over bullshit.  The larger issue is whether or not there have been sufficient changes made to the game architecture to ensure that any future exploits using this vector are prevented.  Rolling back MAY or MAY NOT assist with this overall goal but is probably not sufficient in and of itself in preventing further use of the exploits related to the current vector.

Granted, this is all very assumptive on my behalf.  

BTW, I think anyone annoyed by the rollback is entirely within their rights to be.  Doubly so if donations were made.  Those arguing that others should not have emotional or logical outrage are misguided, regardless of who "benefits" from any rollback. 

• Upvote 6

Priest of Dio

Hey 'tards, stop bickering over !@#$.  The larger issue is whether or not there have been sufficient changes made to the game architecture to ensure that any future exploits using this vector are prevented.  Rolling back MAY or MAY NOT assist with this overall goal but is probably not sufficient in and of itself in preventing further use of the exploits related to the current vector.

Granted, this is all very assumptive on my behalf.  

BTW, I think anyone annoyed by the rollback is entirely within their rights to be.  Doubly so if donations were made.  Those arguing that others should not have emotional or logical outrage are misguided, regardless of who "benefits" from any rollback. 

At least some Mensa members are not !@#$%ing because of malicious hacking attempts against Sheepy (That are not his fault).

Edited by Kyubey

Humans cannot create anything out of nothingness. Humans cannot accomplish anything without holding onto something. After all, humans are not gods.

Is anyone considering the last backup was done 5 days ago? Or are we just assuming the admin can back the game up to whatever second he wants?

IT backups typically happen once a day at a set time.  Cheaper IT shops will do weekly backups.

More frequent then daily backups are a pain, because any problem you have gets into your backups rather quickly.  Backups also eat a significant chunk of CPU, unless you're cloning SAN LUNS, in which case its 0 overhead.

• Upvote 3

Duke of House Greyjoy

At least some Mensa members are not !@#$%ing because of malicious hacking attempts against Sheepy (That are not his fault).

Actually, security is 100% the application owner's responsibility.  I'm not keen to blame a target but tighter security is probably a good idea consider he's accepting payment for services. 

IT backups typically happen once a day at a set time.  Cheaper IT shops will do weekly backups.

More frequent then daily backups are a pain, because any problem you have gets into your backups rather quickly.  Backups also eat a significant chunk of CPU, unless you're cloning SAN LUNS, in which case its 0 overhead.

This doesn't even begin to discuss backup strategies such as incremental hourlies, full nightlies, etc.

• Upvote 1

Priest of Dio

discuss it with Mensa leadership? your one alliance in a line of alliances, this did not effect just one alliance or nation, it effected them all. not one alliance or nation in the game was spared the loss of time, money, growth.

this is not the first or will be the last start up game with things like this happaning, Cybernations, Trukz, Civiny, Eve all of them had hacking issues when they first started out.

1. Mensa is a significant proportion of both the game community and the paying membership so yes the guy who relies on donations for income should provide customer service directly to our senior reps.

2. "Other games are shit" is not an excuse for this one being shit

3. I agree that other alliances have a reason to be angry (well, some of them) but that's for their members to deal with. I can only represent my group interests.

☾☆

Priest of Dio

just because the Nazis did something doesn't mean it's automatically wrong

I agree with Oblige

I'm honestly a bit surprised at the people shitting on Sheepy, asking him why he didn't do one of ten things that they have suddenly become 'experts' about even though half of them have never written a line of code in their life. Or hosted a website for that matter.

You're looking at a highschool coder living on a boat with limited internet/electricity, that still managed to respond to the VE hack within the hour, take the game offline, and begin working on it till 5AM and managed to get another programmer on board and also move the game to a whole new server to ensure smoother and more secure running in the future.

And if you have EVER coded anything or hosted a website you will know what he's done in the past 24 hours is impressive.

I don't know about you, but given the circumstances I think that's fairly impressive and I am happy to have someone like SHeepy run this game.

Edited by martiy
  • Upvote 5

To put even the smallest amount of this into perspective- how many of you have stayed up till 4:30 in the morning for your jobs?

There was a month in 2010 where I slept about 3 hours a day during a final campaign push. That's just what people do, especially when you own the shop.

Replying only to this because it !@#$ing annoyed me. I really am over the rollback. Everyone knows it's bullshit, but it's what we have to work with at this point.

☾☆ Chairman Emeritus of Mensa HQ ☾☆

"It's not about the actual fish, themselves. Fish are not important in this context. It's about fish-ing, the act of fishing itself." -Jack O'Neill

iMZejv3.gif

Can I have a refund on my credits instead? When I bought them things were entirely different and the goalposts haven't just been moved slightly, they've been completely relocated.

This has been very poorly managed. You're supposed to be running a professional business but you can't access the internet because you're on a boat. You're in 21st century America FFS.

Every major decision or change seems to screw Mensa over whether intentionally or not. First many of our opponents were getting masses of exploit money which was by no means resolved to the communities satisfaction. Then the spy system was nerfed because we were doing too well with it. Now when we're winning what is probably the biggest war in the games history, you've decided to undo a large, key proportion of it. If you want to earn $1000 less per month, you're going the right way about it.

I don't have time right now to watch for when the game comes back online and try to redo everything that had been achieved at great effort, even if it was possible, which it isn't because our opponents now know our every move. It will probably go live in the wrong timezone for me too.

It's sad that others want to win like this

This is how games die. Mensa have made a big contribution to growing this game, especially the active community. We're now being taken for granted and are having a very real discussion about whether it's worth continuing (cue cheers from opposing inferior alliances).

This isn't just about Mensa though. It's a poor way to run a game all around and I'm surprised at the attitude of some thinking that there are positives in this no matter what side they are on.

So yeah, refund please. Rant over.

The only thing Mensa has done for this community is make it seem like it's normal to whine every time you get the opportunity. Nobody's making you stay, nobody will cry if you leave.

Edit: Ok, it was a little unfair to say that Mensa hasn't contributed to the game, but still, they haven't been the most important alliance ever.

Edited by Saruman
  • Upvote 2

º¤ø„¤¤º°¨ ø„¸¸„¨ ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸

¨°º¤ø„¸ GOD EMPEROR BIO DRANDO¨°º¤ø„¸

¨°º¤ø„¸ BIO DRANDO GOD EMPEROR¨°º¤ø„¸

¨°º¤ø„¤¤º°¨ ø„¸¸„¨ ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸

To put even the smallest amount of this into perspective- how many of you have stayed up till 4:30 in the morning for your jobs?

Really Oblige?  To answer your question, silly as it is, about once a week.  I have had multiple year long + stretches where I am easily putting in 100-110 hours every week.  How about you Oblige?

If Mensa is very concerned about the implications of the rollback on their war effort they should pursue a different track, and ask for the game to be pushed back before the war started. Once that's been done they can simply repeat the actions that led us to where we are right now. Everyone starts again on even footing.

Sounds good, why don't we do this?

-signature removed for rules violation-

The only thing Mensa has done for this community is make it seem like it's normal to whine every time you get the opportunity. Nobody's making you stay, nobody will cry if you leave.

bahahahahahahahaha

kek/10

-signature removed for rules violation-

I propose taking a massive chill pill, take a 2-day collective peace period to get ourselves back in balance, and we continue slugging at each other afterwards.

Once we get out of the stall period and get back in the game, we'll be experiencing a bit of a shock, and I think it'd be for the best to chill for a bit. No, really.

:^)

How about people stop referring to MENSA and start referring to INDIVIDUALS.

Jesus H the proclivity of posters here to draw generalizations about groups of people is annoying.

Welcome to Earth, would you like the guided tour?
  • Upvote 3

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

If Mensa is very concerned about the implications of the rollback on their war effort they should pursue a different track, and ask for the game to be pushed back before the war started. Once that's been done they can simply repeat the actions that led us to where we are right now. Everyone starts again on even footing.

Hahahahahahahahahahahh.

• Upvote 1
77oKn5K.png

Meh. This community is like !@#$ing aids. 

• Upvote 1

☾☆

Priest of Dio

º¤ø„¤¤º°¨ ø„¸¸„¨ ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸
¨°º¤ø„¸ GOD EMPEROR DIO BRANDO¨°º¤ø„¸
¨°º¤ø„¸ DIO BRANDO GOD EMPEROR¨°º¤ø„¸
¨°º¤ø„¤¤º°¨ ø„¸¸„¨ ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸

6m0xPQ1.gif

• Jax locked this topic