9/1/2015 - What's Going On

Alex

• Administrators

Hello everyone, let me first apologize for any misspellings or auto corrects. I'm using my phone to write this. I'm going to explain what's going on with P&W and when you can expect things back.

So most important is that we've brought ss23 on board to help administrate the game, and he's helped me immensely by working with me to set up a new, more secure sever and transfer things over to that server. You'll notice some things, like the forums, don't look quite right, but they do work! And that's what's most important right now. Ss23 is a lot better than I am with security and technical protocol, and I trust that between him, myself, and Malone we'll be able to prevent any further mischief caused by malicious players in P&W.

Next, I'd like to explain my absence these past few days. I'm currently in the middle of moving and temporarily living on a boat with no real internet connection (aside from my phone). Tonight I happened to have a wifi connection at the marina and had enough time to work with ss23 to get the game and forums moved to a new server. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to fix all of the issues and get the game live before my laptop died, so you'll have to wait before the game is quite ready to play. I'm estimating about 16 hours before I'll have real good computer access to get things going, but it could potentially be before or after then.

It's also important to understand the rollback and why it happened. These past few days a lot of crazy things happened, including a huge leap forward in turns that unfairly disadvantaged one side of a major alliance war. We also had some mischief in the VE alliance more recently.

In any case, the rollback is important so that everyone gets a second chance and we do things the right way. I don't want to make the game unfair to anyone, and while things are obviously going to play out differently now than before, everyone will have some time to make plans and prepare and have a fairer shot.

Why is it rolled back all the way to 8/27? It's a little farther than I would've liked, but due to some issues I had with the backups it was the most recent available backup that we could use to move the server. I'm sure ss23 knows a lot more about backing up the server than I do, and I trust this will never be an issue in the future.

Everyone that purchased credits during this period of time after 8/27 I've already added them to your in-game accounts for you. Anyone who purchased a custom flag or anything of that sort, I apologize but you're going to have to do so again. Anyone new players will unfortunately have to register again, and I've put a notice up on the main page of the website.

To sum it all up, we've really doubled down on security and our counter measures against hackers, going so far as to even change servers. I'm actually very excited to see how much we can improve P&W with the help of ss23, and I hope you guys will have the same sentiment. We can really only go upward from here.

The game has been rolled back to 8/27, and is currently down for the next approximately 16 hours. I will have it up and ready to go as soon as I am able.

Thank you everyone who has understood my difficulties in trying to resolve this matter, and I'm quite pleased with the outcome given the shitty situation that was thrown at me (and the game) and I hope everyone else will be too.

Sheepy

• Like 4

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

• Administrators

This is some serious stuff happening here.

This is some serious stuff happening here.

I know. It's 5 in the morning and I wish I could finish it all tonight but I can't. I apologize again for the 16 hour wait or so, but there's nothing I can do about it being stuck on the boat with my laptop battery dead.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

Congrats to our new Overlord, ss23!

Did our in-game messages get rolled back too (I'm guessing, "Yes")?

More than likely.

I know. It's 5 in the morning and I wish I could finish it all tonight but I can't. I apologize again for the 16 hour wait or so, but there's nothing I can do about it being stuck on the boat with my laptop battery dead.

Go get some sleep and relax, everyone will survive another day or two. Especially if it means that the chance of this happening, is alot less in the future.

sig_cybernations.PNG.8d49a01423f488a0f1b846927f5acc7e.PNG

Wow, this is a pretty significant roll back and can significantly alter outcomes in the game. The sped up turns, while unfair and annoying, didn't quite reach the level of game-changing. This can and will. 

While I hope this can fundamentally fix the issue, the roll back unfortunately puts a big dent on the dynamism on the PnW and we're all worse for it. 

The Coalition Discord: https://discord.gg/WBzNRGK

One cool new feature out of moving server - paw now is accessible over IPv6 :)

$ host politicsandwar.com
politicsandwar.com has address 104.28.14.118
politicsandwar.com has address 104.28.15.118
politicsandwar.com has IPv6 address 2400:cb00:2048:1::681c:f76
politicsandwar.com has IPv6 address 2400:cb00:2048:1::681c:e76

• Upvote 2

• Administrators

One cool new feature out of moving server - paw now is accessible over IPv6 :)

Yep! We'll probably do some kind of post once the server is up and running properly, but it's running on Cloudflare, which means IPv6 support (as well as some other goodies we can talk about later).

• Upvote 2

This is how you lose massive chunks of players all at once.

• Upvote 4

☾☆ Chairman Emeritus of Mensa HQ ☾☆

"It's not about the actual fish, themselves. Fish are not important in this context. It's about fish-ing, the act of fishing itself." -Jack O'Neill

iMZejv3.gif

Yep! We'll probably do some kind of post once the server is up and running properly, but it's running on Cloudflare, which means IPv6 support (as well as some other goodies we can talk about later).

Number one- What is IPv6?

[WARNING-MAY BE SENSITIVE TO SOME PEOPLE] Number Two- Why didn't they do this on 9/11? It would be 'a coincidence' for it to align up with the real world attribute attack that caused millions in losses (All those steels are gone!!! Why?!!!)

Is that to far? sorry if it was?!

Edited by C Temple

LTcxGHN.jpg

• Administrators

hi... i need to reset my account because i only joined 2 days ago, so any help on how to reset.

If you can wait till tomorrow or later today when Sheepy can get back on and re-enable the game, you'll be able to log in again like you did when you first signed up. Sorry about the delay! He's sleeping at the moment.

• Upvote 1

• Jax locked this topic