Ethics of Human Reprogramming as a Method of Capital Punishment

Dr Rush

• Wiki Mod

An advanced research firm in the nation of Reasonable Logic has recently developed a technology that allows for the complete replacement of a human's memories, thoughts, & personality. In short everything that defines a person. Some have suggested the use of this new technology as a new "humane" form of capital punishment. Under the proposed system condemned criminals would be "wiped", a new personality would be "installed" & then sent out to serve the community they had harmed.

Proponents argue that current forms of capital are little more then legal murder & that this system requires no further loss of life. However, many oppose it saying that destroying someone's personality is no different then killing them. Opponents further argue that in addition to having now killed someone you have created what is essentially a slave & a victim as the former criminal will likely never be accepted into society.

23:38 Skable that's why we don't want Rose involved, so we can take the m all for ourselves

23:39 [] but Mensa is the cute girl at the school dance and she's only dancing with us right now to get our friend jealous

23:39 [] If Rose comes in and gives Mensa what she wants, she'll just toss us aside and forget we ever existed

23:39 zombie_lanae yeah I do hope we can keep having them all to ourselves

23:40 zombie_lanae I know it's selfish but I want all their love

6:55 PM <+Isolatar> Praise Dio

Pubstomper|BNC [20:01:55] Rose wouldn't plan a hit on Mensa because it would be &#33;@#&#036;ing stupid

This is less ethical than normal capital punishment. At least then the guilty party retains their sense of self until death. Effectively killing someone but gaining a re-programmable body in the process is less ethical. Not to mention the potential for serious miscarriages of justice due to the demand for programmed workers.

If a person has these things taken from them than you assume the problem will be corrected? A lion, even raised in captivity will have a taste for blood and the hunt. A sexual predator will always want it even if they don't know why.

People are not the product of anything except our choices. Here is a thought, don't do the crime unless you are happy to do the punishment. You want to save on prison expenses and "reeducation"? Bullets are cheap.

A dog that bites and gives a kid a scar on their leg is put down, even if it only bites once. Why should a murderer or sexual predator who leaves life long scars be aloud any kind of sympathy or even be given human rights?

I pity the &#33;@#&#036; who touches my kids or wife. Jail won't be his option. As BoC knows, I would remember that guy forever and go to jail to meet him there.

Just saying

• Upvote 2

Its a slippery slope, first we use the technology to reprogram the criminal, but what is to stop said technology from being used against the populace in some form and turns the average day citizen into a mindless zombie of sorts. I do not deny the technology has its positive possibilities...but one thing I have learned is that no matter the positive purpose of the technology there is always someone out there willing to use it for negative purposes.

The United States of Belveria

qAFfwLo.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Death penalty is more humane than turning someone into a Zombie slave.

The Death Penalty is in no way Humane and the state should be held to a higher standard for punishing criminals. 

Also there is no cure for adult Psychopathy known today. I would be in favor for use in people that meet all or most of the criteria needed to be a Psychopath.

☾☆

Priest of Dio

Dio-wryyy.gif

º¤ø„¤¤º°¨ ø„¸¸„¨ ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸
¨°º¤ø„¸ GOD EMPEROR DIO BRANDO¨°º¤ø„¸
¨°º¤ø„¸ DIO BRANDO GOD EMPEROR¨°º¤ø„¸
¨°º¤ø„¤¤º°¨ ø„¸¸„¨ ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸

Like I said, screw being humane. Once someone kills someone, they aren't human. Once they torture or make someone suffer they aren't human.

Sword and block of wood *high five*? Death Penalty = Prevents Crime, but it should be done the tried and tested way. No injection BS!

ztt5Wgs.png

I think that eradicating someone's memories is unethical. The goal of the criminal justice system should  be to rehabilitate person,  not make them into whatever society sees suitable. A truly rehabilitated person makes a conscious choice to become a better person and follow the norms of society. Under your scenario the person would not be able to learn anything. The greatest travesty is that eradicating a person's thoughts and memories would not give them the opportunity to grow.

I think that eradicating someone's memories is unethical. The goal of the criminal justice system should  be to rehabilitate person,  not make them into whatever society sees suitable. A truly rehabilitated person makes a conscious choice to become a better person and follow the norms of society. Under your scenario the person would not be able to learn anything. The greatest travesty is that eradicating a person's thoughts and memories would not give them the opportunity to grow.

The primary function and goal of the criminal justice system is to PREVENT crime, everything else is secondary, but I agree with you about wiping someone's memories. I would rather be executed than to disappear knowing that my body will be walking around like a zombie with stuff programmed into what used to be my brain. I highly doubt this will ever be possible anyway.

ztt5Wgs.png

Slow and painful you say? Then a sword won't cut it... no pun intended. You will need a butter knife  :lol:

Butter Knife Execution *high five*?

A lot of butter knifes. That would work.

#Butter Knife Execution

Edited by Vladimir Zhogin
  • Upvote 1

This seems a little less humane than the plot of PsychoPass.

Humans cannot create anything out of nothingness. Humans cannot accomplish anything without holding onto something. After all, humans are not gods.