7/27/2015 - Orbis Baseball League

Alex

• Administrators

obl.png

I'm happy to announce the newest addition to Politics & War, the Orbis Baseball League! I'll give you a brief introduction, and then answer some FAQs I've already received. 

Orbis Baseball League is the in-game sports simulation for international baseball games. Each nation can create their own team and play against other teams to earn small amounts of money. You can upgrade your team to make them better competitors, as well as your stadium to increase your revenue for hosting games. 

How Does It Work?

Once you've created your team, you can either host a game, or play an away game. Hosting a game earns you revenue, whether you win or lose, the amount dependent on your Stadium upgrades and combined team rating of your team and your opponent's team. Hosting a game can take time, as you have to wait for someone to be matched against you.

Playing an away game is instant, and you can win money if you win the match. If you lose the match, you don't win anything.

What Are the Upgrades?

In OBL you can upgrade your players and your stadium. Upgrading your players improves their performance in matches, and upgrading your stadium increases the average ticket price and number of people that come and attend your home games. These upgrades are wholly unnecessary, and you can play OBL without ever spending a dime upgrading anything.

Why Can't I Play a Team of My Choice?

The current system has you paired against an available opponent at random. The reason is so that there are more games available for everyone to play. In the future there may be support for personal games that don't earn you money or count towards your team stats.

How Do I Get My Own Team Logo?

If you'd like to get your own logo, it costs 1 credit. You can find it as an option on the Donate page, or here's the direct link: https://politicsandwar.com/donate/obl/logo/

Can I Get Custom Jerseys For My Team?

Currently, no, but I will be adding this as a Donation option soon! It will be 1 credit for a pair of Home/Away Jerseys.

Why Don't You Increase the Money Generated From Games?

The purpose of OBL is not to make you money. It's intentionally designed to generate very, very low amounts of money. The reason OBL was added to the game was to increase new player retention, by giving new players something they can do infinitely that can generate them small amounts of money. If you're upset that you can invest millions into your team and not get it back right away, then you're free to completely ignore OBL. It's an entirely non-essential part of the game, and is a for-fun type mini-game. It's intentionally a money-sink.

Why Baseball? Why Didn't You Add Soccer/Football?

The reason that Baseball was chosen as the sport is because it's a very structured sport, which makes it a lot easier to simulate. If you play an OBL game, you'll see that it's a very in-depth, complete simulation. You can see a complete play-by-play record of every game, and see the results of each pitch, hit, catch, out, etc.

What Sport Will You Add Next?

I will not be adding other sports. You're not the first person to suggest "You should do {insert name here} next!" and the answer is no - This isn't about the sport itself, it's about giving you guys a little something extra to do. We don't need 15 different versions of the same thing. Baseball is what was chosen, and I'm sorry if it's not your favoritest sport in the world, but perhaps it will grow on you.

Are You Going to Do Tournaments or a World Series?

Yes - there is not currently the coding infrastructure for this type of thing yet, but it's on my to-do list. I'd like to see a monthly World Championship that nations could participate in, with options to bet on teams throughout the tournament, and a prize for the winner.

How Quickly Do Players Age?

Players age slightly faster than in-game time, at a rate of 7 days to every 1 in-game day. That's 7 days per 2 hours, or 140 days every real-life day. An 18 year old player would last for ~95 RL days, and a 30 year old player would last for ~43 RL days.

---

I'll update this with any more FAQs I come across. For now, enjoy toying around with OBL. There's a link for it called "Baseball" in the sidebar, there's an OBL subforum under National Affaris, and there's a special IRC channel for OBL discussion at #OBL

Thanks!

• Upvote 3

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

with options to bet on teams throughout the tournament, 

My wallet is ready.

• Upvote 6

rsz_1g7q_ak91409798280.jpg

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a roll.

There is one you will follow. One who is the shining star, and he will lead you to beautiful places in the search of his own vanity. And when there is no more vanity to be found, he will leave you in darkness, as a fading memory of his own creation.

It's awesome, I love it!

º¤ø„¤¤º°¨ ø„¸¸„¨ ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸

¨°º¤ø„¸ GOD EMPEROR BIO DRANDO¨°º¤ø„¸

¨°º¤ø„¸ BIO DRANDO GOD EMPEROR¨°º¤ø„¸

¨°º¤ø„¤¤º°¨ ø„¸¸„¨ ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸

Undefeated KR Orcas!

3 wins 0 losses. ãƒ½(âŒâ– _â– )ノ

tumblr_m9czr1koad1rutbklo1_5002_zpsgrmgw

Drip, drip, drop

ヽ( 。ヮ゚)ノ "Jump on the crazy brain gravy train!" (。□゚ノ)ノ

Just curious, but would it be possible to code in a challenge option so you can challenge specific nations? It'd be cool to hold a tournament for my alliance (obviously the matches and what not would be organized on my end)

I will take responsibility for what I have done, if I must fall, I will rise each time a better man.

• Administrators

Just curious, but would it be possible to code in a challenge option so you can challenge specific nations? It'd be cool to hold a tournament for my alliance (obviously the matches and what not would be organized on my end)

Please see the first post :)

Why Can't I Play a Team of My Choice?

The current system has you paired against an available opponent at random. The reason is so that there are more games available for everyone to play. In the future there may be support for personal games that don't earn you money or count towards your team stats.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

I don't really agree with it implementing into game mechanics because It really just becomes a Baseball community, and not War or Politics. FOFA was fine, but this is a little too much.

HAIL BASEBALL & WAR

....-_-

Peace will never be accomplished without war, but war cannot happen without peace.... or something like that idk

SO HOW DO THE PLAYERS AGE!!!???? WOULD BE VERY USEFUL TO KNOW HOW LONG THE STATS LASTS :)

LOL hahah

Forever didnt you know everybody in PnW is immortal?

Peace will never be accomplished without war, but war cannot happen without peace.... or something like that idk

I think it would have been a little cooler to see FOFA become an in game add on, instead of baseball.

• Upvote 1

Drip, drip, drop

I think it would have been a little cooler to see FOFA become an in game add on, instead of baseball.

I agree, you couldve given Nicklas permissions to it

I don't even know how baseball works. I just click buttons, things happen and it tells me I win. :sheepy:

4 wins and 0 losses.

Drip, drip, drop

Some effect to consider adding would be wins/loses when hosting games increase or decrease your nations approval rating by a small amount.

I don't really agree with it implementing into game mechanics because It really just becomes a Baseball community, and not War or Politics. [snip]

Except that tying it to an in-game stat that has no actual in-game bearing on mechanics wouldn't make it a baseball community. I kind of like adding it to the approval ratings *if* approval ratings will never have a bearing on in-game mechanics.

• Upvote 1

duskhornexceptional.png.d9e24adf7f0945530780eee694428f27.png

He's right, I'm such a stinker. Play my exceptional game!

• Jax locked this topic