An Explanation, An Apology, and a DoE

Braunsberg

I wish you, Gaius Iulius, all the best in this endeavour. However, I too carry doubts about the efficacy of a democratic system. That is why I decided to stay in the Viridian Entente. And, I must be frank, I wish that you and Chancellor Dahler had done the same. Please do not hold this against me.

However, all of this in in the past. Now we look to a new future.

Augustus Gaius Iulius, prove me wrong and build the greatest democratic alliance that Orbis has ever seen!

Edited by Chairman Klemens Hawicki

I wish you, Gaius Iulius, all the best in this endeavour. However, I too carry doubts about the efficacy of a democratic system. That is why I decided to stay in the Viridian Entente. And, I must be frank, I wish that you and Chancellor Dahler had done the same. Please do not hold this against me.

Augustus Gaius Iulius, prove me wrong and build the greatest democratic alliance that Orbis has ever seen!

Holy c-rap! That font you're using makes you look so much more important and fancy and official! It also looks like you're stuck in 1980, but that might just be me.

Proud Canadian, Proud Ontarian

OZFC3Z0.jpg

Holy c-rap! That font you're using makes you look so much more important and fancy and official! It also looks like you're stuck in 1980, but that might just be me.

Thank you. Aesthetics are quite relevant to the leader of any nation. I wish to convey seriousness and preserve Polish uniqueness in my capacity as Chairman of the Polish Nation.

Or perhaps, as you claim, I truly am stuck in the 1980s. :D 

Edited by Chairman Klemens Hawicki

It isn't just a Greek Lambda - it was the symbol placed on all the shields of Lacedaemon of Sparta. Pretty important imo.

It isn't just a Celtic knot, it's the trinity knot/triquestra. It's *the* ultimate Celtic pagan symbol, meaning for Mother, Maiden, and Crone (or the trinity in Christianity). 

Tanit was a Goddess. 

Not exactly sure where your idea of "Classical Civilization" came from, but when I've studied it it's only ever been Greek and Roman stuff.

The lambda is what the symbol is called. The reason we used it is because it was placed on Greek shields, not just Spartan ones either. Most Doric Greek cities used the lambda on shields, including Syracuse.

The Celtic knot is the simple name for it. I don't know Celtic culture very well (I know quite a lot about the Romans, Greeks and Carthaginians), so that's simply what I call it. All I know about it is that the circle passing through the knot symbolizes spiritual unity.

As for Tanit, yes, I am aware she was a goddess. The symbol on the shield is the Carthaginian symbol representing Tanit. Carthaginian warriors, particularly the Sacred Band (which was the only citizen part of the army, most others were mercenaries), painted Tanit's symbol on their shield in much the same way the Doric Greeks painted the lambda.

Lastly, "Classical" is a time period. There is a classical period in European history. There is also a classical China. There is also a classical Mesoamerica. Rome and Greece are certainly the best known civilizations of the classical era, but there were many more around the globe, and the idea of the many symbols on that flag - ugly or not, right now it doesn't matter since the flag may change - is to represent all the various cultures and civilizations that defined the classical era.

"Bibant, quoniam edere nolunt." ~ "Let them drink, since they do not wish to eat."

003.png.dec0ea9eb3902372b8bbca44165b588f.png

If we're talking about democracy in alliances, then I would say the issue is whether or not democracy actually results in better selections for leadership, rather than whether or not it is an efficient way of running an alliance. From my experience democracy does not result in better leadership selection in these games. In fact, often some of the worst leaders will come to power through democratic elections.

Edited by Kadin

Good luck, democratic alliances are terribly inefficient though. 

Good luck to you Roma and the rest of your group, always good to see new blood :)

o/

Thanks to all, and no hard feelings, Klemens Hawicki. Your decision was different from mine but wise nonetheless.

If we're talking about democracy in alliances, then I would say the issue is whether or not democracy actually results in better selections for leadership, rather than whether or not it is an efficient way of running an alliance. From my experience democracy does not result in better leadership selection in these games. In fact, often some of the worst leaders will come to power through democratic elections.

Right, I am aware. It takes a great deal of attention to make sure a system like that works consistently and efficiently. We've simply preferred to put our money in the jar for fairness and openness, rather than blunt efficiency. It may or may not work, of course - however, we will give it our best shot. Our hope is that the efforts to include members more directly will help improve activity and support within the alliance, and therefore give us a stronger base from which to elect officials.

"Bibant, quoniam edere nolunt." ~ "Let them drink, since they do not wish to eat."

In any case, we decided to speed up our work on our forum, especially after I spoke with ELPINCHAZO a few days later and he asked me why I hadn't left Terradoxia yet (I told him I simply didn't have a reason to go anywhere else until the new alliance was made; now I wonder if he was subtly hinting towards the attacks of a couple days ago. But I won't demand an answer for that question ;) ).

:rolleyes:

• Upvote 3

Ayy lmao, this quickly went from DoE to Q&A/criticism.

Good luck little simians. Ayy lmaos will enjoy watching your civilizations struggle.

The best part will be taking the credit for all those monuments and technological developments.

Edited by Shifty Stranger
  • Upvote 1

have to say that was a great read.

if you put as much effort into future announcements and the leading of your alliance I can't wait to see what the future holds for you guys...but yes...i will echo the sentiment that you guys need a new flag! many individuals here sell their talents and commission flag for nations/alliances. I'd recommend looking them up

4DKO1Df450x175_zps30h9x0af.png

Ayy lmao, this quickly went from DoE to Q&A/criticism.

Good luck little simians. Ayy lmaos will enjoy watching your civilizations struggle.

The best part will be taking the credit for all those monuments and technological developments.

Meanwhile the rest of us are watching this:

image.png

have to say that was a great read.

if you put as much effort into future announcements and the leading of your alliance I can't wait to see what the future holds for you guys...but yes...i will echo the sentiment that you guys need a new flag! many individuals here sell their talents and commission flag for nations/alliances. I'd recommend looking them up

We're working on it, we have some nicer versions now that remove all the symbols. Looks pretty nice.

to be completely fair, I do make one sexy pregnant woman

The dog catches my eye a lot more, haha. If doctors looked like the one on the right in the first picture, I'd hurt myself all the time to get into the hospital. XD